Next Mayor 2019

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:41 pm You are confusing multiple different posters. Plus, I never claimed political affiliation. It doesn’t even matter in this race as long as someone supports pro urban and transit policies.
When someone doesn't care enough to argue about the right election (seems like they're reliving 2011), they're certainly not going to care about who wrote what.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Is transit not a type of infrastructure and is urban crime not the main type of crime people focus on?
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:51 pm Is transit not a type of infrastructure and is urban crime not the main type of crime people focus on?
Your statement was extremely vague.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:51 pm Is transit not a type of infrastructure and is urban crime not the main type of crime people focus on?
I would bundle transit in with sewers, roads, street lights and such.

As far as crime, not really. People mainly care about crime near them. It's the reason gated communities exist.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’ve gotten the same glossy flier from Justus the last five days straight in the mail. If repeat messaging is effective, she’ll win the election hands down.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The General wants to move the airport to the sports complex ("inside Jackson County"), move the stadiums to the east side, and build a new "car plant".
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:35 pm The General wants to move the airport to the sports complex ("inside Jackson County"), move the stadiums to the east side, and build a new "car plant".
Ok, he and Clay Chastain win the opening election. Who do you vote for in the runoff between the two?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DaveKCMO wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:35 pm The General wants to move the airport to the sports complex ("inside Jackson County"), move the stadiums to the east side, and build a new "car plant".
MCI is about 5800 acres, Wheller is about 430 acres, TSC is about 500 acres. So I guess if you expanded TSC a bit you could wedge an airport in there, but it would be very small. There is another 500 acres of low-density land across Blue Ridge Cutoff, and another 500 across I-70. So I guess it could be possible.

But I imagine it would take 20 years to buy everyone out and get all the studies done. Plus it would be a much smaller airport and surrounded by residential. And that terrain is rough.

If I was playing Sims I would swap Wheeler and the TSC but that's an insane amount of money for very little benefit.

MCI has been in its location for almost 50 years, if being near the airport is important to you, living in Johnson or Jackson county might not have been the best choice. No adult under the age of 65 had their own home when the airport was built, so that old cry of "why did they build the airport so far away" should be answered with "why did you buy a house so far from the airport"? Don't build at 155th and Nall and then complain about the 50-minute drive.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:45 pm
Ok, he and Clay Chastain win the opening election. Who do you vote for in the runoff between the two?
False choice. They're both on city hall's "no fly" list. It would be like choosing between Paul Manafort and Michael Flynn for President.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Yes, but who would be Darlene's choice?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

No way Darlene is a KCMO resident. Too dangerous in the city. No place for a woman to feel safe.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DaveKCMO wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:29 am
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:45 pm Ok, he and Clay Chastain win the opening election. Who do you vote for in the runoff between the two?
False choice. They're both on city hall's "no fly" list. It would be like choosing between Paul Manafort and Michael Flynn for President.
I don’t know! According to Henry Klein, the impossible happens every day!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:58 am
MCI is about 5800 acres, Wheller is about 430 acres, TSC is about 500 acres. So I guess if you expanded TSC a bit you could wedge an airport in there, but it would be very small. There is another 500 acres of low-density land across Blue Ridge Cutoff, and another 500 across I-70. So I guess it could be possible.

But I imagine it would take 20 years to buy everyone out and get all the studies done. Plus it would be a much smaller airport and surrounded by residential. And that terrain is rough.
There was a recent Quora post where an engineer did the math to show that the best case scenario to begin building a border wall would be 15 years. I would expect 20 years is the minimum to build a whole new airport.

The environmental impact studies alone would drag on for years and finding a site that doesn't have a group opposing the location for noise, road traffic, historic significance, wildlife or something will probably add dramatically to the project. The state would need to have multiple locations picked out to compare and there's only so many of that size to begin with that can support an airport. The sewer demands alone would likely come with a new treatment plant so now you need to plan for that too.

To put 5800 acres in perspective, 175th to 207th, I-35 to 69 is about 5300 acres. We're already talking about something so big that there's nothing available that would be quicker to get to for most of the city. It's possible that this hypothetical new airport to Johnson County would increase driving time even inside parts of Johnson County.

Moving the airport is never happening. It's more likely to become a train terminal than stop serving the city.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:32 pm I’ve gotten the same glossy flier from Justus the last five days straight in the mail. If repeat messaging is effective, she’ll win the election hands down.
I have gotten about 5 of these flyers as well, why would they do this, it makes me not want to vote for her now
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:45 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:32 pm I’ve gotten the same glossy flier from Justus the last five days straight in the mail. If repeat messaging is effective, she’ll win the election hands down.
I have gotten about 5 of these flyers as well, why would they do this, it makes me not want to vote for her now
It makes me think she really, really, really, really really wants my vote.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:45 pm
This election doesn't put a party next to names as we know. Look at this poll that shows how many voter don't know the candidate, they're just picking the party name when they go to vote.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... SKCN1MD1QC

Repetition works for memorization. The repeat mailings are all about helping people memorize their name. The overwhelming majority of voters aren't as educated as you are on who's running and the issues. A flyer is going to be their main interaction.

So when the average voter goes into the ballot booth, the thinking is they will remember the friendly face and the person's name and will recognize it on the really long list.

It's not a method meant to sway someone who would post on this site. That's what the mayoral forums are all about.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

flyingember wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:01 pm Repetition works for memorization. The repeat mailings are all about helping people memorize their name. The overwhelming majority of voters aren't as educated as you are on who's running and the issues. A flyer is going to be their main interaction.
So, you’re saying voters are generally dumb and Justus is trying to take advantage of my stupid brain with subliminal messaging?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:25 pm
flyingember wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:01 pm Repetition works for memorization. The repeat mailings are all about helping people memorize their name. The overwhelming majority of voters aren't as educated as you are on who's running and the issues. A flyer is going to be their main interaction.
So, you’re saying voters are generally dumb and Justus is trying to take advantage of my stupid brain with subliminal messaging?
Pretty much. Any candidate with money is doing the same thing but they're not sending out 200,000+ mailings each day, they're targeting based on the demographics of your neighborhood. A smart candidate even has one design per area featuring different topics.

We've only received one mailing from her.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Yeah - Same here on the Justus mailers - probably 4 or 5 over the past two weeks. I thought it may be a combination of repetition and multiple lists - that weren't de-duped.

Does anyone expect any more than 25K to vote in April?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I've gotten three mailers from Quintan Lucas. Two from Steve Miller. One from Scott Wagner. One from Canady. I'm surprised I haven't gotten flyers from Justus since she represents my district.