Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by FangKC » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:53 am

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:13 pm
FangKC wrote:
Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:17 pm
Yikes! Anyone but Rex Sinquefield. We need a modern-version of Ewing Kauffman.
Sinquefield kind of does have a modern vision when it comes to cities and investing in St Louis. Pretty soon all of this old money is gonna die out in KCMO. We won't have anyone to replace the Kauffman's, the Blochs, all our big "new" money is in the burbs and I don't see them investing much in the city when it comes to cultural/Civic treasures.
Rex Sinquefield is 74-years-old. Male life expectancy for a male in the USA is 77-years-old.

What evidence is there that Sinquefield is going to invest anything in Kansas City?

TheLastGentleman
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by TheLastGentleman » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:05 pm

https://www.royalsreview.com/platform/a ... ew-stadium
Furthermore, academic research does not back up the claims that stadiums are benefits to the economy. Even if it did, it wouldn’t be a remotely efficient way of developing an area or spurring growth. If a city is committed to pouring half a billion dollars into its economy, it could do so actually and directly developing an area, providing services, and expanding educational opportunities. Putting it into the hands of a third party first—a third party that could leave the city on the hook for millions if it wants to relocate—is profoundly stupid.

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:32 pm

Is a downtown stadium in Kansas City's future?

https://www.kctv5.com/news/is-a-downtow ... user-share

mgsports
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by mgsports » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:07 pm

KCK out by Legends? Southern Johnson County? Lees Summit?

alejandro46
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by alejandro46 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:31 pm

mgsports wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:07 pm
KCK out by Legends? Southern Johnson County? Lees Summit?
Royals will not move from one suburban stadium to another.

Legends already has Community America ballpark.

langosta
Pad site
Pad site

Post by langosta » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:44 pm

Grill Nation briefly touched on downtown baseball in a recent episode with Copaken Brooks. A good point that Jon Copaken makes is that a new stadium is coming at some point, we need to make sure the investment is in an area that can deliver the highest ROI.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 0442215221

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by WoodDraw » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:33 am

I haven't listened yet, but Jason is a big supporter of downtown baseball and Copaken has an interest obviously. So not surprising.

I don't think there is any support in the established downtown neighborhoods. The attitude has changed in the urban core as opposed to last time we went through this.

I might support something east if there's a ballpark village design with a smaller stadium. No sea of surface parking forever closed off to future development. I dunno, I'm becoming more and more tempted to just leave it where it it.

beautyfromashes
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by beautyfromashes » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:35 am

So, if this happens, I’ll have to listen to my suburbanite relatives explain how the stadium built/saved DT. :(

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by shinatoo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:16 am

How about at the Manual Career & Technical Center location. I'm sure the Scool District would be happy to part with it and It's right by the baseball academy and Negro Leagues Museum.

Maybe a streetcar spur to 18th and Vine in the future?
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

brewcrew1000
Penntower
Penntower

Post by brewcrew1000 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 am

People will just complain about parking and traffic. I actually find it easier to park and exit out of a Cardinals or Twins game than it is at a Royals game. In St Louis, you can park easily over by 14th and Clarke and the Freeway ramp is right there. There are also lots of spots south of the stadium by the White Castle

johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:04 pm

brewcrew1000 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:43 am
People will just complain about parking and traffic. I actually find it easier to park and exit out of a Cardinals or Twins game than it is at a Royals game. In St Louis, you can park easily over by 14th and Clarke and the Freeway ramp is right there. There are also lots of spots south of the stadium by the White Castle
The fat people don't realize they will likely walk just as far as they do at the sports complex. I mean really towards the back of the lot is what almost a mile to the stadium give or take. Hopefully it will be built near the street car line and you can park just about anywhere in the city.

grovester
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by grovester » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:23 pm

People blame the distance because it's embarrassing to admit they suffer from fear and loathing without the certainty of a parking lot.

WoodDraw
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by WoodDraw » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:32 pm

grovester wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:23 pm
People blame the distance because it's embarrassing to admit they suffer from fear and loathing without the certainty of a parking lot.
It's true, and it's also reinforced by the revenue the team gets. So tailgating and "easy access" are hyped, but it's not like anyone is pulling up and parking right next to the K.

I'm getting repetitive in this thread, but it's because it's so hard. I think there is a really cool neighborhood to be built, but I have absolute zero faith in the Glass family or the city to not just pave over a handful of city blocks and call it a downtown stadium.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by flyingember » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:42 am

johnmatrix wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:04 pm
The fat people don't realize they will likely walk just as far as they do at the sports complex. I mean really towards the back of the lot is what almost a mile to the stadium give or take. Hopefully it will be built near the street car line and you can park just about anywhere in the city.
For the absolutely busiest baseball game, the farthest parking is 0.65 miles away. The realistic farthest distance is closer to 0.35 miles, most games don't need that much parking.

The closest streetcar stop from the main Bartle Hall entrance is roughly 0.3 miles.

So utilizing parking a similar distance away is very reasonable. I do like the idea of bundling a train line expansion down Indep Ave into a new stadium in Paseo West and using the thousands of existing spots downtown. $100 million to take it partway down the corridor is nothing in terms of a stadium project.

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:40 am

brewcrew1000 wrote:
uh, yeah, i remember the first time i left (maybe i was entering, it's been while) TSC i couldn't believe the jam-up. that's about as bad as it got after the blues parade...we have to remember that (particularity midwestern) downtowns were (overall for the worse) re-engineered around mid-century to handle a massive ingress/egress of automobiles everyday. a small stadium is nothing compared to what these systems were designed to handle.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by flyingember » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:32 am

warwickland wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:40 am
brewcrew1000 wrote:
uh, yeah, i remember the first time i left (maybe i was entering, it's been while) TSC i couldn't believe the jam-up. that's about as bad as it got after the blues parade...we have to remember that (particularity midwestern) downtowns were (overall for the worse) re-engineered around mid-century to handle a massive ingress/egress of automobiles everyday. a small stadium is nothing compared to what these systems were designed to handle.
It's not designed very well to leave.

People arrive over about an hour, everyone wants to leave within 15 minutes. Downtown it's closer to an hour in the evening.

Downtown KC was designed with about a dozen ways in and out. The stadiums have three.

Downtown sends people to street lights, every stadium exit comes out to where cross traffic doesn't stop and it's mixed with pedestrians exiting and there's *one* crosswalk the entire way around the property.

The stadium should be able to handle the traffic but there's no traffic management in place.