Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Would you like to see the Royals move to a downtown stadium?

Post by shinatoo »

Actually, if you want the best views of downtown, and want to make use of the most worthless real estate in Downtown, build it where the ball fields are in Penn Valley Park. A short walk from the streetcar. Plenty of bus lines. Walking distance to many potential bar districts.
Last edited by shinatoo on Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:06 pm Actually, if you want the best views of downtown, and want to make use of the most worthless real estate in Downtown, build it where the ball fields are in Penn Valley Park. A short walk from the streetcar. Plenty of bus lines. Walking distance to many potential bar districts.
True. The current softball fields at PVP have a better view than any of the proposed sites.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

WSPanic wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:09 pm
shinatoo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:06 pm Actually, if you want the best views of downtown, and want to make use of the most worthless real estate in Downtown, build it where the ball fields are in Penn Valley Park. A short walk from the streetcar. Plenty of bus lines. Walking distance to many potential bar districts.
True. The current softball fields at PVP have a better view than any of the proposed sites.
Plus the parking garages for the IRS center sit empty most of the Baseball season.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:11 pm Plus the parking garages for the IRS center sit empty most of the Baseball season.
You're never going to get a government building to open up their parking garage for anything, especially when there's office space above it.
Last edited by flyingember on Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

And would come with a major freeway modification. There's no I-35 ramps from the south into this area.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Plenty of parking in downtown KCK!
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

A good point that was brought up about the new ball park is privately last time the Royals were against the idea because of parking. I know we want to become more parking dense downtown but keep in mind all the lost revenue the Royals will see from the parking situation. I think Kansas will make a run at them as well.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

kcjak wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:14 pm Plenty of parking in downtown KCK!
If it's going to Kansas I would rather it go there than anywhere else. That would be a hell of a view.

Why have this view:

When you could have this one:

I jest, of course. You could find a way to have a nice view of downtown. I was just using true north 3rd base alignment.

More like this.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I recall reading about some history of Penn Valley Park. In one of the plans for the park, the bowl area, where the lake is, was proposed to be the site of an outdoor coliseum / stadium. This plan would have been before I-35 existed.

If the IRS Processing Center had not been built there, it would have been a good location for the baseball stadium.

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

johnmatrix wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:31 pm I think Kansas will make a run at them as well.
I think a Kansas Stadium is more likely than a downtown stadium, I think the Royals will follow a blueprint similar to Atlanta and use excuses like (a Majority of our Fanbase is located in Johnson County)

I think you will only see a downtown stadium is if we had a local ownership who cared about the city. Kansas City need a rex sinquefield type who wants to invest in the city and bring the city back to life.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:49 am
johnmatrix wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:31 pm I think Kansas will make a run at them as well.
I think a Kansas Stadium is more likely than a downtown stadium, I think the Royals will follow a blueprint similar to Atlanta and use excuses like (a Majority of our Fanbase is located in Johnson County)

I think you will only see a downtown stadium is if we had a local ownership who cared about the city. Kansas City need a rex sinquefield type who wants to invest in the city and bring the city back to life.
I would love a downtown ballpark it makes the most sense. I wish Rex would buy the team but I think half the city would go nuts given todays political climate.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:54 am At the end of the current leases, TSC will be over 60 years old. Something new will likely need to be built somewhere and needs to be paid for by everyone.
Needs?

No, a complete move and rebuild is a "Want". Period.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

im2kull wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:03 pm
normalthings wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:54 am At the end of the current leases, TSC will be over 60 years old. Something new will likely need to be built somewhere and needs to be paid for by everyone.
Needs?

No, a complete move and rebuild is a "Want". Period.
I meant that if a new stadium is the path forward then the metro needs to pay, not just KCMO/Jackson.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yikes! Anyone but Rex Sinquefield. We need a modern-version of Ewing Kauffman.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Sell the team to Wal-Mart. That'd be a winner. LOL
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Opinion from Port KC director. No mention or option of Berkley Riverfront as potential site.

flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

alejandro46 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:55 am Opinion from Port KC director. No mention or option of Berkley Riverfront as potential site.
The riverfront isn't deep enough.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:02 am
alejandro46 wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:55 am Opinion from Port KC director. No mention or option of Berkley Riverfront as potential site.
Berkeley is only big enough for a smaller Sporting KC sized stadium
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

normalthings wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:23 am
flyingember wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:02 am
Berkeley is only big enough for a smaller Sporting KC sized stadium
Ah makes sense.

My current opinion is not in favor of new downtown stadium I'd rather develop area around TSC and evaluate if we can run transit from downtown, but I strongly agree to study all options, check price tags, and gain input from ownership and city leaders.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I still like North Loop as part of removing the highway. Put parking garages in the trench.