DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Next Mayor 2019

Post by DaveKCMO »

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Justus is polling #1 at 15% and Alissia Canady is #2 at 10%, but 34% are undecided. The rest of the candidates are single digits. Poll by Jeff Roe, 500 sample size. Not very reliable, but possibly the only poll to leak?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Any new Rag takes on the race? I've attended two forums and listened to the Northeast one online and I'm convinced we're still in for a Justus/Lucas match-up.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I am wondering though how long it will take for the polls to adjust to the Paseo renaming issue. From what I'm hearing, a lot of Old Northeast residents who were supporting some candidates have now switched support away from any candidate that voted for the renaming. People are really pissed off over how it was done, and they will be deliberately voting against people who might have traditionally had their support, but voted for the renaming. It certainly has hurt Justus, Reed, and Lucas here, and helped Canady. I'm seeing movement back to Wagner, and some of the non-council candidates.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

What a stupid issue to pivot on. So many issues facing this city and your going to change your vote over the name of a street?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:23 am What a stupid issue to pivot on. So many issues facing this city and your going to change your vote over the name of a street?
Won't this and the airport be wrapped up together in an "our city's process is broken and corrupt" argument?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

WSPanic wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:57 am
shinatoo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:23 am What a stupid issue to pivot on. So many issues facing this city and your going to change your vote over the name of a street?
Won't this and the airport be wrapped up together in an "our city's process is broken and corrupt" argument?
The airport? Yes.

Naming a street? Sub-Sub-Minor issue.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

But isn't the airport working out as planned-ish?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

smh wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:47 am But isn't the airport working out as planned-ish?
It probably is, I more meant that it's an issue that should be examined and would be a good reason to support, or drop support.

Renaming a road is not.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

How about pandering to special interests?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

shinatoo wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:03 pm
smh wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:47 am But isn't the airport working out as planned-ish?
It probably is, I more meant that it's an issue that should be examined and would be a good reason to support, or drop support.

Renaming a road is not.
Ahh yes, my bad. Agreed!
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Development and affordable housing - Lucas seems very passionate about this. I appreciate that. However, I do not agree with some of his proposals, such as a 15% affordable unit minimum that will greatly stymie new development. Justice seems more pro smart-development to me.

Don't really care about the street name. Waste of money to re-name it. I think the DUI may hurt Lucas even though it seems like a minor issue (he was sleeping in the car). The Canady parking video (https://fox4kc.com/2016/08/26/kansas-ci ... ired-tags/) imo is a huge blemish on her - seems so entitled & ridiculous. Plus even more radical positions that Lucas on development.

If Shields is enforced by both Kander and Sly that seems like it would shift the race hugely in her favor.
Last edited by alejandro46 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Shields? Do you mean Justus?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I think my biggest issues are pushing for the return of historic tax credits from the state, transportation funding at the federal level, successful navigation of the KCI redo, and job creation. I saw that Steve Miller had Tim Kaine at one of his events recently. He also has state MODOT experience. I don’t know if any of the other candidates will have significant influence for those issues at the state and federal level.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:07 pm I am wondering though how long it will take for the polls to adjust to the Paseo renaming issue. From what I'm hearing, a lot of Old Northeast residents who were supporting some candidates have now switched support away from any candidate that voted for the renaming.
You mean the lower-than-average-turnout Northeast? Or some new and powerful voting block we haven't heard of? :roll:

Polling will be hard to come by. The Star won't do it, and you'll only hear internal campaign polls if it's super good news for one candidate or there's a leak.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Critical_Mass wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:04 pm Shields? Do you mean Justus?

Yes. Was typing fast when at work.

Shields is literally the worst. I will vote for anyone BUT her.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 7:49 pm
FangKC wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:07 pm I am wondering though how long it will take for the polls to adjust to the Paseo renaming issue. From what I'm hearing, a lot of Old Northeast residents who were supporting some candidates have now switched support away from any candidate that voted for the renaming.
You mean the lower-than-average-turnout Northeast? Or some new and powerful voting block we haven't heard of? :roll:

Polling will be hard to come by. The Star won't do it, and you'll only hear internal campaign polls if it's super good news for one candidate or there's a leak.
Your point is well-taken. I'm just reporting observations. Residents appear to be organizing to do new voter registration, and planning to go door-to-door.

I don't underestimate intent anymore. We've had enough surprise elections to discount upsets.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

So here's my biggest question: Is anyone here supporting Steve Miller?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:54 pm So here's my biggest question: Is anyone here supporting Steve Miller?
I think he’s a good candidate. All the others seem pretty much the same.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

It has nothing to do with the literal significance (or insignificance) of the name change, and everything to do with the disregard for the people's (and their constituents) opinion. Why would ANYONE vote for someone who won't represent them?

Besides, if they can't get such a minor, "stupid" issue correct.. Then how are you going to be able to trust them to run a city.. With all its complex, major issues??

A: You won't trust them, because they've shown their incompetence.