OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by atticus23 »

Why do people see Cerner as some magical unicorn that will put up some mythical and monumental tower downtown...?!?
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

atticus23 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:45 pm Why do people see Cerner as some magical unicorn that will put up some mythical and monumental tower downtown...?!?
Because magical unicorns >>>>>

1) have local KC civic pride
2) now employ and plan rapid future growth in employment
3) have lucrative billion dollar govt contracts
4) have consistent plans to build new offices and consolidate

That's the magic of unicorns!
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

alejandro46 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:37 pm
anonkcmo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:37 pmerner building a new and tallest signature tower at 12th & Grand would be the single best thing that could happen to KCMO's downtown and business future.
Sprint and Cerner both building sprawling suburban campuses in KC just kinda sucks.
I have had the opportunity to ask a few of the ~top 5 Cerner execs about their choice in office location. 2 mentioned ease of commute to RURAL areas/exoburbs.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I know a few recent hires(living in downtown) who plan on leaving because they don’t want a commute to the suburbs.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:59 pm
alejandro46 wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:37 pm
anonkcmo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:37 pmerner building a new and tallest signature tower at 12th & Grand would be the single best thing that could happen to KCMO's downtown and business future.
Sprint and Cerner both building sprawling suburban campuses in KC just kinda sucks.
I have had the opportunity to ask a few of the ~top 5 Cerner execs about their choice in office location. 2 mentioned ease of commute to RURAL areas/exoburbs.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I know a few recent hires(living in downtown) who plan on leaving because they don’t want a commute to the suburbs.
I interviewed at DFA in person once after they moved to KCK. Reminded me why I would never work at the Cerner KCK campus.

I worked on the close side of the triangle campus and wanted to get closer to home so I wouldn’t think about working there.

I drive past their N Oak building and could reach their NKC campus easily but they don’t hire for my role at either one.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I remember one of the top Cerner executives being interviewed a few years back before the Bannister campus was even a thought, and I recall him saying that a strong downtown was important for their recruitment efforts from outside the city. He said that they couldn't get anyone to move here from out-of-town without a strong downtown, and that all the changes there (P&L, Sprint Center, hotels, PAC) helped them.

Some of the top leaders at Cerner were also heavily involved in the American Royal, so that might explain why some of them want to live in the rural suburbs because they keep horses and cattle.

Still, despite their need to recruit employees, the company itself has never been pro-downtown in that they ever put their money where their mouth is.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Any updates on this project? Did it stall?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

normalthings wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:06 pm Any updates on this project? Did it stall?
https://twitter.com/CopakenBrooks/statu ... 08645?s=19
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

So did incentives negoations for this project get put on hold for Christmas and then never picked back up?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

election season
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

kboish wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:14 am election season
That would do it.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Talked this week with a few people involved in the project. Does not sound like design has moved forward much/at all since the November announcement.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Example Strata floor plans have been released. Floors vary from 11k-16k sqft each. (not sure if discussed previously) That seems way too small for a modern spec office space.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I've read several articles in the past two years that say the large open-area work spaces are being found to reduce productivity, not increase it. There is too much noise, activity, and are too many forms of distraction. Employees are more productive and less stressed out if they have their own office, and at minimum, cubicles with high walls. In workplaces with too many cubicles in a large area, the noise levels tend to be worse than smaller floorplates.

It is interesting though that Strata has a small floorplate, because it's really not that different than the floorplates probably are in the Traders on Grand tower.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:26 pm I've read several articles in the past two years that say the large open-area work spaces are being found to reduce productivity, not increase it. There is too much noise, activity, and are too many forms of distraction. Employees are more productive and less stressed out if they have their own office, and at minimum, cubicles with high walls. In workplaces with too many cubicles in a large area, the noise levels tend to be worse than smaller floorplates.

It is interesting though that Strata has a small floorplate, because it's really not that different than the floorplates probably are in the Traders on Grand tower.
Looks like it holds maybe 40-50 traditional offices/cubicles per floor.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

https://www.copaken-brooks.com/our-prop ... ain-tower/

In some ways, I’m confused why Copaken doesn’t just build out 1034 Main. They already have a garage and foundations there. Plus, they would be able to put in bigger, more attractive/usable floorplates.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Maybe they're saving 1034 for a larger building
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Perhaps because H&R Block already had a parking commitment from the city?
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

Is Strata a "for sure go" or is it still going through all the red-tape? I also wish 1034 were coming to fruition, but that building and the subsequent renderings have been around forever.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

A development at 1034 or anywhere north of 11th St(Petticoat Lane). While the the skyline from the south has changed with numerous additions this century(albeit nothing that could be called a skyscraper), the north side of the loop is frozen in time from the last century. All those acres of surface lots on the streetcar line are almost as ridiculous as the two empty blocks at 12th and 10th & Grand.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

moderne wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:38 pm A development at 1034 or anywhere north of 11th St(Petticoat Lane). While the the skyline from the south has changed with numerous additions this century(albeit nothing that could be called a skyscraper), the north side of the loop is frozen in time from the last century. All those acres of surface lots on the streetcar line are almost as ridiculous as the two empty blocks at 12th and 10th & Grand.
There will be a baseball stadium on that side in the next 10-15 years