OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: OFFICIAL - Strata (H&R Block's 2nd Tower)

Post by beautyfromashes »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:54 pm
beautyfromashes wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:42 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:04 pm Yeah, I always mess up the terms. Financial district, whatever.
Yeah, the Financial District that doesn’t have a single financial company...that I can think of.
If someone wants to give me an approved list of neighborhood names, go. You guys are some pedantic motherfuckers.

Doesn't UMB own like three buildings there? I give up
Relax! I was trying to agree with you that the names are a bit silly. I get you point about EV being different building types. I don’t really agree, but that’s fine. Enjoy the sun.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:59 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:53 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:49 pm Someone wants to drop a 50 story in? Cool.

Need it? No.
Agree. It would be a "want" for sure. Hopefully these few new construction office buildings actually happen and happen quickly and they lead to more activity.

Downtown KC has recently lost over 3 million sq ft of office space to re-purposing for other uses so hopefully new space will start to snowball like residential did after One Light opened.
That's also not what I'm arguing. Kansas City needs spec office space at higher volume.

You can advocate for both whatever east village is and whatever this is at the same time.

At the moment they're both vapor.
I agree, KC needs both. FYI, I have always thought of the area within several blocks of 10th and Main (except the garment/library district to the NW) to be the financial district. East Village has always been the government district to me. Really it's not even that. East village is nothing, just an extremely underutilized area of urban decay east of the government district.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

WoodDraw wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:54 pm You guys are some pedantic motherfuckers.
Isn't this our motto? Certainly our ethos. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:08 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:59 pm
GRID wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:53 pm

Agree. It would be a "want" for sure. Hopefully these few new construction office buildings actually happen and happen quickly and they lead to more activity.

Downtown KC has recently lost over 3 million sq ft of office space to re-purposing for other uses so hopefully new space will start to snowball like residential did after One Light opened.
That's also not what I'm arguing. Kansas City needs spec office space at higher volume.

You can advocate for both whatever east village is and whatever this is at the same time.

At the moment they're both vapor.
I agree, KC needs both. FYI, I have always thought of the area within several blocks of 10th and Main (except the garment/library district to the NW) to be the financial district. East Village has always been the government district to me. Really it's not even that. East village is nothing, just an extremely underutilized area of urban decay east of the government district.
I mostly agree with this. I'd say the financial district bleeds into the government district because of recent conversions. The east village to me is more of a myth, but I'm sure some would take umbrage with that.

And while I stand by calling you all pedantic motherfuckers, I meant it as a joke. ♥️ :)
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

For example, if anyone was working at je Dunn id describe that to them as the government district.

The proposed tower on grand I'd call the financial district and not power and light.

This tower I'd say power and light.

Sorry for saying CBD. I don't even know what that means. I guess I always used it as short for the financial district but I'm wrong.
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

flyingember wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm The East Village is inside the CBD........
wrong, not technically. while it is inside the downtown loop and the greater "downtown."
it is distinct from the "financial district."
EV is in the "govt district" of downtown.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

anonkcmo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:55 pm
flyingember wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:41 pm The East Village is inside the CBD........
wrong, not technically. while it is inside the downtown loop and the greater "downtown."
it is distinct from the "financial district."
EV is in the "govt district" of downtown.
Central Business District is another name for downtown.

The government district is inside the CBD
The financial district is inside the CBD
The downtown loop is inside the CBD

The smallest I can find is it's Broadway to Paseo, I-70 to I-670
https://www.trulia.com/n/mo/kansas-city ... own/84229/

This one is 6th to 15th (Truman Rd), Jefferson to Troost
https://dnr.mo.gov/shpo/survey/JAAS005-R.pdf
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

We should all look to Trulia for the answers to Kansas City questions.
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

flyingember wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:00 pm
You don't understand the distinctions of the various districts within downtown and their historical names.
The CBD has historically referred to the financial and retail epicenter of downtown along Baltimore, Main, Walnut, and Grand.

The local, state and fed Govts developed their buildings to the east of Grand and the many residential homes, hotels and tenements were tore down.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Fair enough.

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... Ttr44LGS3Y

ordinance 031260

This is a map of the CBD according to it.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1MT3XE ... sp=sharing
Section 2. The City Council defines the area within the following boundaries as the central business district for purposes of the Act:

Beginning at the intersection of 31st Street and Stateline, in the City of Kansas City, Jackson County, Missouri; thence north along the western boundary of Kansas City to a point where the extended northern boundary of North Kansas City meets the western boundary of Kansas City; thence east along said extension line to the City of Kansas City/North Kansas City, city limit line; thence south along said city limit line, to the southern boundary of North Kansas City; thence east and northeast along the southern boundary of North Kansas City to the northerly prolongation of Monroe Avenue; thence south along Monroe Avenue, which turns into the Cleveland Avenue, to East Linwood Boulevard; then west along East Linwood Boulevard to Broadway Blvd; thence north along Broadway Blvd to 31st Street; thence west along 31st Street to the point of beginning
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

How about this 2012 document which uses the entire downtown loop and CBD as the same (page 6)

http://kcmo.gov/parking/wp-content/uplo ... nt2012.pdf
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

This page uses Downtown/Central Business District
http://kcmo.gov/curfew/
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Sooooo.....How about that Strata design? Cool, huh??
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

This downtown streetscape plan references a 1958 plan for the CBD which even then included the Civic Center. So even 60 years ago that takes the CBD into today's convention district

http://kcmo.gov/planning/wp-content/upl ... erPlan.pdf
(file page 11)

If you try to define any name as one thing you're going to get it wrong. I found five definitions of what the CBD is just today
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

Needs more windows, tbh
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

There is far more to be said about building a signature 50+ floor tower downtown then just saying "but it will only fill one block."

Signature towers put a downtown on the forefront to the local business community with a strong statement.
They spur much more peripheral development than smaller projects and can change the entire dynamic of a downtown.

Look at Atlanta's 70 floor Westin Peachtree Plaza (1976) that changed sleepy downtown Atlanta into a convention powerhouse and spurred tremendous development growth and attracted massive amounts of new businesses to downtown.
http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/image ... 6_852b.jpg

Look at Minneapolis' 50+ floor IDS Tower (1973) that changed boring, drab downtown into a corporate powerhouse, spurring tremendous new development.
https://image-store.slidesharecdn.com/f ... large.jpeg

Charlotte's Bank of America tower, OKC's Devon Energy tower and other signature towers have made a huge impact on downtown.

Cerner building a new and tallest signature tower at 12th & Grand would be the single best thing that could happen to KCMO's downtown and business future.
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

flyingember wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:23 pm This page uses Downtown/Central Business District
http://kcmo.gov/curfew/
??? that's stupid!
(starts microwave popcorn)
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

anonkcmo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:14 pm
flyingember wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:00 pm
You don't understand the distinctions of the various districts within downtown and their historical names.
The CBD has historically referred to the financial and retail epicenter of downtown along Baltimore, Main, Walnut, and Grand.

The local, state and fed Govts developed their buildings to the east of Grand and the many residential homes, hotels and tenements were tore down.
This has always been my understanding. There's a lot fluidity, but I've never met anyone that doesn't know roughly what I'm saying.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

anonkcmo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:37 pm There is far more to be said about building a signature 50+ floor tower downtown then just saying "but it will only fill one block."

Signature towers put a downtown on the forefront to the local business community with a strong statement.
They spur much more peripheral development than smaller projects and can change the entire dynamic of a downtown.

Look at Atlanta's 70 floor Westin Peachtree Plaza (1976) that changed sleepy downtown Atlanta into a convention powerhouse and spurred tremendous development growth and attracted massive amounts of new businesses to downtown.
http://www.atlantatimemachine.com/image ... 6_852b.jpg

Look at Minneapolis' 50+ floor IDS Tower (1973) that changed boring, drab downtown into a corporate powerhouse, spurring tremendous new development.
https://image-store.slidesharecdn.com/f ... large.jpeg

Charlotte's Bank of America tower, OKC's Devon Energy tower and other signature towers have made a huge impact on downtown.

Cerner building a new and tallest signature tower at 12th & Grand would be the single best thing that could happen to KCMO's downtown and business future.
100% correct!!! =D> =D> =D>
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

anonkcmo wrote: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:37 pmerner building a new and tallest signature tower at 12th & Grand would be the single best thing that could happen to KCMO's downtown and business future.
Agreed and I wish they would but I dont think it will happen in the even longer term. They just put $35m into a new expansion in NKC and are working away at the Bannister campus.

Sprint and Cerner both building sprawling suburban campuses in KC just kinda sucks.