We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by flyingember »

TrolliKC wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:15 pm We should change from city of fountains to city of monolithic parking garages and surface lots
But how would that differ us from other cities?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

voltopt wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:15 pm Updated airport renderings/animations

https://www.kci-edgemoor.com/design/
Looks good. doesn't let the airport get in the way of traveling somewhere. Too many airports have crazy long walks to get anywhere.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Things I liked today:
* Bringing back some elements of the scalloped roof with the clearstories
* Open design of the pre security area....no columns. Looks like this is shaping up to be a great space.
* High throughput security lanes
* Use of moving designs on face of garage although think there is tweaks that can make it even better
* Space on arrival level for shuttles and rideshare and buses although still some concern on how all of it will be designed together

Concerns:
* Not a fan of the entire arrival drive not being covered....but not sure it's a big deal most of the time and going down to arrival level can resolve on those days
* While I like the garden / fountain on the departure level I feel like it will be underused and maintenance will by lacking to keep it nice. Would rather see the exterior water feature more prominent (or part of garage facade?)
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Still not feeling anything from this design. I guess we can just hope that it ends up looking better in reality than here.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:39 pm
For Concerns:
* Not a fan of the entire arrival drive not being covered....but not sure it's a big deal most of the time and going down to arrival level can resolve on those days
* While I like the garden / fountain on the departure level I feel like it will be underused and maintenance will by lacking to keep it nice. Would rather see the exterior water feature more prominent (or part of garage facade?)
I think it looks better with a canopy that only extends to the farthest lane of traffic (instead of the garage). It helps to break up the space and provides a way for some more natural light to get into the arrivals curb and the terminal head house.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:41 pm Still not feeling anything from this design. I guess we can just hope that it ends up looking better in reality than here.
There's no chance it won't look better. The renderings are so sterile you shouldn't use them to figure out how it will look, only how it's laid out and the general materials and colors.

The lighting in them is all messed up. The shadows actually change angles in different renderings. There's about a three hour span between the different views, in the order of the photos you drive into the terminal later in the day and get to your gate earlier in it. There's even one view where a man is standing in the light coming through the ceiling. He has no shadow.

The slightly angled roof slats will actually change the amount of natural light. You can expect the colors and textures to change throughout the day and year. A more E-W centric September lighting will be different than the height of summer like this coming from the south. The more reflective surfaces like the floor will slightly pickup the color of paint, plastic and metal reflecting in it too. It will change in tone depending on the time of the day, more blue at noon and more yellow at sunset.

Because it's not setup to show how an airport operates you can't expect it to look right. This is why staging homes is a thing. You can show how a home works and the same space comes alive. There's gong to be lots of detail outside and inside making it real and breaking up spaces. Did you notice there's no exterior traffic signs at all? Like you don't need a cover over what's not a parking lane and you can't tell this without signs. Look at the gate rendering. There's one tiny desk and no airline signage. The seating area is wrong because it's not the right furniture being use. There's no power outlets, no retailers. There's no barricades for the check in line or the security line. It's all too sterile.

If they had mocked up the rendering realistically it would look great. Tall roofs, lots of light, easy to move around without crazy long walks, easy for dropoff or parking. One place to catch the bus instead of four. One security area with lots of lanes.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

normalthings wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:16 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:39 pm
For Concerns:
I think it looks better with a canopy that only extends to the farthest lane of traffic (instead of the garage). It helps to break up the space and provides a way for some more natural light to get into the arrivals curb and the terminal head house.
Agreed. Aesthetically I like this better.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

Looks pretty lame. Like something that belongs in Oklahoma City or St Louis.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

MidtownCat wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:24 pm Looks pretty lame. Like something that belongs in Oklahoma City or St Louis.
They went and built a skyscraper seven stories high,
About as high as a building orta grow.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

MidtownCat wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:24 pm Looks pretty lame. Like something that belongs in Oklahoma City or St Louis.
What is it missing you'd like to see? As an non architect type it seems pretty cool to me.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

TrolliKC wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:15 pm We should change from city of fountains to city of monolithic parking garages and surface lots

https://tinyurl.com/y6wn264z

https://panethos.wordpress.com/2016/09/ ... usacanada/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

FangKC wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:21 pm

The GC, Architect, and Structural Engineer on KCI are all working together on the new terminal at that airport as well.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

FangKC wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:21 pm

It was a weak attempt at humor... I used to live in Seattle and use SeaTac a lot. The parking was good but the terminals need a major redo. Need a lot more amenities
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

SeaTac is such a cool name for an airport but only like years ago did I figure out it meant Seattle-Tacoma.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

speaking of Seatac airport here are some pictures from their concourse D. Notice the wood on the ceiling. My guess is ours will look similar to this?

https://www.hok.com/about/news/2018/11/ ... xperience/
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

LCDSI wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:20 am speaking of Seatac airport here are some pictures from their concourse D. Notice the wood on the ceiling. My guess is ours will look similar to this?

https://www.hok.com/about/news/2018/11/ ... xperience/
That looks like it's the opposite design.

That's natural wood beams with a corregated-style roof, maybe white painted metal

Ours looks to be white painted or metal beams with a natural wood roof
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

cincinnati or amarillo, prolly but yeah, 4m vs 15m passengers/year makes 100% sense. :twisted:

almost anything is better guys.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

The giant parking garage as the first impression is a nice touch.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

MidtownCat wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:46 pm The giant parking garage as the first impression is a nice touch.
i mean all of my "favorite" airports have a giant parking garage rammed up next to them. the one right on top of PDX is enormous.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

https://twitter.com/JustinMeyerKC/statu ... 8769219584

Terminal A jet bridges are being removed and sold

down in the twitter thread, the shutdown is holding up demolition approval