Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
WSPanic
Supporter

Re: Westport

Post by WSPanic »

KCPowercat wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 2:19 pm
WSPanic wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:28 am
KCPowercat wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:03 pm This makes me very sad for Westport. Seriously it should be decommissioned as a bar district ...leave Kelly's, Harry's, and one more and shut down the rest.
Plenty of great options still there - even with these crappy new additions. If you don't like it - don't go. It's still a neighborhood destination for some of us. It's annoying on Friday/Saturday nights throughout the summer, but so are a lot of places. The rest of the time, it's still good.
I like it. I want to like it more. I don't like this direction of bars with announcements like this and their leadership have taken which I feel are very bad for the neighborhood. Places like cava can't survive if this is the direction all the bars are going.

I don't think the "don't like it don't go" is very productive.
I would think it would be much more "productive" for Westport to lose you as a customer than to shut down every bar outside of Harry's and Kelly's because you don't like them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Okay. Enjoy Johnny kawsport
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Good talk, Russ.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

*Beer chug* (as rusty)
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Given the bouts of violence in Westport, there is some sort of irony in naming a business "Shot Stop" or "Bomb bar."

It could be worse... at least it's not America's Pub taking over the district.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

More apartments and density will help increase safety & add traffic to the non-bar businesses especially on non-weekends.

But F Jonny Kaw's owner for being so against the streetcar.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

I would go to Westport more if there was a place to park where a lady didn't have to worry about being attacked or having to walk in heels. They need to put in lady parking with a lot of lights along the main streets to cut down on crime.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

What if we all just took turns picking you up and dropping you off wherever and whenever you want - at absolutely no cost and inconvenience to yourself? We don't mind.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Darlene wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:28 am I would go to Westport more if there was a place to park where a lady didn't have to worry about being attacked or having to walk in heels. They need to put in lady parking with a lot of lights along the main streets to cut down on crime.
I know this is a complete joke, but this actually has a valid point I didn't realize. Go look at Shake Shack on the Plaza.

They were allowed to put in outdoor seating. And that's fine. But they put the seating along the building. This introduces several failings.

It funnels everyone closer to the street
It means some people have to walk over metal which can get icy in winter
And the one I often don't think of- Women in heels could get stuck and trip in the open hole tree grate.

The same barrier at the street with open sided seating away from the building would have been so much better for everyone. People going to eat outside would have direct access to every table from the sidewalk. They could have put in longer seating because it wouldn't have needed to not block the building next door. It would have protected a sidewalk path and no one would need to go around trees. It's already a no parking zone so they wouldn't have been blocking any cars. Laclede and Euclid in the Central West End of St. Louis has a great example of this design on multiple corners. It's wider but gives you the idea.

Go look at Westport and Pennsylvania in Google street view. There's a huge storm grate direct in the crosswalk on the NE corner. That's not very sensitive to women. This is a good example of where a large corner bump out to protect the parking and shorten crossing distances could also allow for a different stormwater design that wouldn't trip someone in high heels
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

^ Your post is insensitive and not inclusive. Not all high heels are worn by women.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

similar grates downtown are prime faceplant spots even for those of us non-women who graduated from jordans to goodyear welted varietals upon being confronted with the absence of any athletic talent at some point immediately following high school.

but i agree. i've spent most of my patio/pedestrian time in charlottesville, and there are excellent examples on both the corner and the pedestrian-only stretch of the downtown mall (another). this is a much better patio design for pretty much every stakeholder—better sightlines/people watching from the patio, better advertising for the business, better landscaping options around the patio, and better pedestrian experience.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

taxi wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:21 am ^ Your post is insensitive and not inclusive. Not all high heels are worn by women.
Good point. Then let's just say that our sidewalk design should account for all kinds of footwear available on the market and skinny items that touch the ground during use such as canes or a walker for the disabled or elderly in addition to wheeled personal conveyance such as wheelchairs and strollers. A walker or stroller wheel could just as easily be snared by a misplaced grate
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I heard Dempsey's is closing down.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Part of the Johnny Kaw take over.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

WSPanic wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:33 am What if we all just took turns picking you up and dropping you off wherever and whenever you want - at absolutely no cost and inconvenience to yourself? We don't mind.
Honey I am NOT that kind of lady.

In any case, a few posts here now seem the old boys club is starting to think about being more inclusive towards ladies. Hopefully, the days when this is practically an all boys club, like the Bernie Bros is starting to end. Be inclusive, reach out to ladies.
town cow
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by town cow »

Who is going to reach out to Darlene for her big night in Westport?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

town cow wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:56 am Who is going to reach out to Darlene for her big night in Westport?
Tony of course. Two peas in a pods, hating all change that doesn't impact them directly
AlbertHammond
New York Life
New York Life

Post by AlbertHammond »

you never know....
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

AlbertHammond wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:03 pm you never know....
I'll take it.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

=D> You had me for a second there...nice Photoshop job