KC in TV and Movies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by tower »

mean wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:34 pm I don't know for sure, but outside of establishing shots of Kelly's and possibly a few other locales I don't think M&E ever actually did any filming in the city.

Also within the first 40 seconds of the first episode, an unseen tow truck dispatcher advises Eddie of an accident on "35W" which basically turned me off the show forever. What is this, Minneapolis? Dallas? Do ten seconds of "I LOOKED AT A MAP!" research ffs.
I legit feel like TV/movie people are allergic to maps.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Several years ago, NBC had the made-for-TV movie "Asteroid." An asteroid is headed for Kansas City. It hits the "Freeman Dam", causing water to flow down the mountain and flood downtown Kansas City (downtown Denver shown). There was major damage at "3rd & Olive" and at "24th and Market Street". To help, the government stations people at the "Kansas City Military Base."
KC is the way to be!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

AllThingsKC wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:18 am Several years ago, NBC had the made-for-TV movie "Asteroid." An asteroid is headed for Kansas City. It hits the "Freeman Dam", causing water to flow down the mountain and flood downtown Kansas City (downtown Denver shown). There was major damage at "3rd & Olive" and at "24th and Market Street". To help, the government stations people at the "Kansas City Military Base."
I dont think I've ever been so frustrated and amused at the same time
Elrod
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Elrod »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:12 pm
AllThingsKC wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:18 am Several years ago, NBC had the made-for-TV movie "Asteroid." An asteroid is headed for Kansas City. It hits the "Freeman Dam", causing water to flow down the mountain and flood downtown Kansas City (downtown Denver shown). There was major damage at "3rd & Olive" and at "24th and Market Street". To help, the government stations people at the "Kansas City Military Base."
I dont think I've ever been so frustrated and amused at the same time
"The Day After" had more of a clue than this.

So, if we go with the street locations above and assume that they were actually referring to St. Louis instead of Kansas City, "3rd & Olive" is basically the entrance ramp to I-44/I-55 South, right next to the Arch. "24th and Market" is actually Market and Jefferson.

If this was their intent, then I applaud the judicious renovation of the old A.G. Edwards building with an asteroid. :)

But they still need to look at a map. They don't even have the street locations in St. Louis right.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

They only used stock video footage of KC throughout, but Asteroid was filmed in Denver. I never understood why they didn't just set the location in Denver - the location really didn't provide any additional context to the plot unless the producers (or whoever) felt more people could relate to a Midwestern city than to Denver.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Jason Kander on CNNs Jake Tapper round table hour today with several references to KC and his race for mayor. Suggested that they have a whole hour talking just about Kansas City and gave some very good advice about Democrats looking to win races in the Midwest and other red states.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Tonight at 7 pm on CBS.

SAT
SEP 8
7:00PM
Pink Collar Crimes: Clash of the Carriages NEW (Season 1, Episode 7)
KCTVDT3, KCTVDT1209
A friendly rivalry between two women vying for control of a lucrative horse-drawn carriage business on Kansas City's Country Club Plaza becomes increasingly nasty and ultimately descends into a murder-for-hire plot.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/pink-collar-c ... k-peek-2-/
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Don't know if any of you have been watching Welcome to Waverly on Bravo! Pretty standard, yet low key and respectful for Bravo, "reality" show about 7 coastal people, liberals, gays, lesbians, middle eastern, African American from south Chicago and so on, spending 6 weeks living and working in Waverly Ks. Was filmed in spring 2017. Really surprisingly positive with a few moments of trumped-up drama (again Bravo!) Just four one hour episodes all airing this week.

Then.....then, and it's hard to recount this. The two chefs are doing an elevated diner for their going away time; and, this is hard for me to even retell.

OK...OK...deep breath.

They went to get food at Cosentino's down by the power and light...and...DAMNT IT...the graphic said they were in Kansas City, KS! I mean what the FLORP.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

And they totally made Cosentino's look like a bunch of rube's.

"OMG You can't get Thai Chilies in Kansas"

"Don't even have ideas in Kansas because it won't be a reality when you go to the grocery store"

At the meat counter: "Do you have pork belly?"

From off screen, "Pork who?"

Chef "oh God".

No fucking way that happened. I was joking about the KCK fuck up but now I'm actually pissed.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

OK, it ended really well. I'll get over it.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

It's some restaurant on 18th and vine - Pretty sure its Bayou on the Vine
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Kansas City is the setting of a terrorist store-bombing in first few moments of the movie Sicario: Day of the Soldado starring Josh Brolin, Benicio del Toro, Catharine Keener, and Matthew Modine.

No scenes of Kansas CIty appear in the film. The establishing shots for the store bombing here were filmed in Albuquerque.
Storyline

In this adventure/drama, FBI agent Matt Graver (Josh Brolin) enlists a mysterious operative to help investigate a Mexican drug cartel that has been smuggling terrorists into the U.S. Things escalate when the daughter of a top kingpin is abducted, forcing Graver and his partner to re-evaluate their mission.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5052474/?r ... flmg_act_6
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

New TV show at Sundance set in KC called "Bootstrapped". It's some sort of tech sitcom.

https://www.parkrecord.com/entertainmen ... h-sitcoms/

The Park City Record describes KC as: "a landlocked region of two million people known more for producing improv jazz, Janelle Monae and molasses-based barbecue sauce than killer smartphone apps."

I've heard worse.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

The author is from Haviland, Kansas and graduated from KU in 2017.

They got the geography right, and that's what we all care about in the end.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

earthling wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:40 am Any ragger know which restaurant ?

https://fox4kc.com/2018/11/18/gordon-ra ... nd-chance/
Looks like the KC episode will air next Wednesday - they had a preview at the end of last night's episode. Bayou on the Vine - Ramsay should've walked in and right back out.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

Maybe he fixed it? There used to be a soul food buffet on 12th called Papa Lew's. I miss it so much.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryaRfFm ... ture=share

Death Journey" (1976) starring Fred Williamson
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

FangKC wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:48 am https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryaRfFm ... ture=share

Death Journey" (1976) starring Fred Williamson
He also produced and directed that movie. Wonder if he chose KC based on his experiences or connections he had from his Chiefs' days.
hubert
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by hubert »

DIY channel has a great KC based house remodel show called Bargain Mansions by Tamara Day. Many shots all over KC during intro and depart from each period of the show or about 4 times per show for about 6 seconds but very cool for me to see since I do not live in KC now but helps me keep up.