Old KCPS HQ - 12th & McGee

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Old KCPS HQ - 12th & McGee

Post by DaveKCMO »

Let's start a petition to get the KCPS to put this building out for proposals to adaptively reuse for affordable housing!
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:43 am Let's start a petition to get the KCPS to put this building out for proposals to adaptively reuse for affordable housing!
That would actually be a great plan for that building. Has parking, would push development east, and could be affordable as a renovation as opposed to new build.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm all for a rfp, but I'd expect that to take significant incentives for this building.

I'm fine with that over this crap proposal, but I do think we need an urban wide plan moving forward that's based off research and not the whims of a few people.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

KCDowntown wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:04 am On this month's TIF agenda is a proposal to demolish the Board of Education building at 12th & McGee and replace it with a 242-room Drury Plaza Hotel.

Includes 5,000 sqft of meeting space and 176 space garage.

See page 7 of the agenda.

KCDowntown

Historic Board of Education Building Listed as ‘Place in Peril’ by State Preservation Group
The former Board of Education building at 1211 McGee, slated for demolition under a now-withdrawn Drury Hotel proposal, has been listed as one of 15 “Places in Peril” in Missouri by a prominent state historic preservation group.

The Board of Ed building, completed in 1960, is the only Kansas City building included on the 2018 list compiled by the Missouri Alliance for Historic Preservation.
https://cityscenekc.com/historic-board- ... ion-group/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

While I would prefer a surface lot project, I honestly don’t have a problem with this “beautiful historic structure” being bulldozed for a better use.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Conversely, this feels like a building where adding new wings in glass could work really well. Purposefully highlight the difference in styles.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

flyingember wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:00 pm Conversely, this feels like a building where adding new wings in glass could work really well. Purposefully highlight the difference in styles.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Some interesting pictures from the library website.

Demolition of buildings on the site

Cornerstone dedication

Mural still exists

I'm still personally conflicted on the building, but man, it was a big deal when it was new.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Thanks for posting those photos! The way I remember from the last time I was in there, the upstairs office space aren’t all that special, but the bottom two floors- the board of ed and library - have some lovely, intact mid century modern interiors.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:16 pm
flyingember wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:00 pm Conversely, this feels like a building where adding new wings in glass could work really well. Purposefully highlight the difference in styles.
If this building could be made to look anything like this, it would be awesome! Top skin on this building is hideous. Love the bottom bot looks like it could use a serious cleaning.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

There’s no reason for this building to be torn down.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:16 pm
Build that onto the back and it would look great.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

KCTOGA wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:21 pmIf this building could be made to look anything like this, it would be awesome! Top skin on this building is hideous. Love the bottom bot looks like it could use a serious cleaning.
I was actually think more that this cladding would be for a potential addition to the south. I'm assuming, if the building gets developed, they will use historic tax credits, which would retain the orignal facade
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:01 pm
KCTOGA wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:21 pmIf this building could be made to look anything like this, it would be awesome! Top skin on this building is hideous. Love the bottom bot looks like it could use a serious cleaning.
I was actually think more that this cladding would be for a potential addition to the south. I'm assuming, if the building gets developed, they will use historic tax credits, which would retain the orignal facade
Yea, that makes more sense. I really like this style, hope it can be incorporated in somehow, someday. I wish we could entice more foreign investment in DTKC.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I try to allow for all kinds of tastes, but the call to tear this building down because of its appearance, is outrageous.

No degree of difference from prior generations who destroyed 95% of our architectural treasure....because they were 'out of fashion' or 'too expensive to renovate'.

The library/school board building really is a difficult challenge to renovate, because of the construction techniques of the glass skin and the difficulty to prepare for the next sixty years....but exhaust the possibilities before you give in to demo.

Jeez.
KCTOGA
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCTOGA »

loftguy wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:59 pm I try to allow for all kinds of tastes, but the call to tear this building down because of its appearance, is outrageous.

No degree of difference from prior generations who destroyed 95% of our architectural treasure....because they were 'out of fashion' or 'too expensive to renovate'.

The library/school board building really is a difficult challenge to renovate, because of the construction techniques of the glass skin and the difficulty to prepare for the next sixty years....but exhaust the possibilities before you give in to demo.

Jeez.
Completely agree, The Law Building damned near killed me.Truly makes me sick when I see pictures posted of buildings lost forever(Fang) however, I hope he never quits reminding us of the mistakes of the past. Love those great memories, visions of a city which feels so long ago. I would love to see this building saved, renovated with a complimentary structure like above adjoining it.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

We can't just tear down every building because someone doesn't like it.

There are other reasons to reuse a building. Climate change. Anyone who denies this is just burying their head in the sand. When discussing demolition, we need to remind ourselves that gases from producing the concrete, steel, glass, etc. as well as the gasoline trucking the materials there, are still up in our atmosphere heating the planet.

Tearing it down to just build a replacement 10-15-story building, which will produce even more gases, is foolish. This situation is exactly why historic tax credits were intended. We should probably change the name of these credits to conservation tax credits, because we are conserving natural resources and our planet, as much as conservation of historic properties.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

FangKC wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:01 pm We can't just tear down every building because someone doesn't like it.

There are other reasons to reuse a building. Climate change. Anyone who denies this is just burying their head in the sand. When discussing demolition, we need to remind ourselves that gases from producing the concrete, steel, glass, etc. as well as the gasoline trucking the materials there, are still up in our atmosphere heating the planet.

Tearing it down to just build a replacement 10-15-story building, which will produce even more gases, is foolish. This situation is exactly why historic tax credits were intended. We should probably change the name of these credits to conservation tax credits, because we are conserving natural resources and our planet, as much as conservation of historic properties.
Yeah, this building is completely inoffensive and in an already badly chewed up area. The only reason I could see demolition being acceptable would be if it were for a monstrous new office tower. Something built to last a century or two.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Also, the library site is down for maintenance, so that's why the pictures I shared aren't showing
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Dramatically altering the curtainwall would probably kill any chance of the project receiving tax credits.