Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Westport

Post by chaglang »

Westport is pretty clearly several distinct areas lumped into a larger designation. It doesn't seem nuts to have different design standards for commercial and residential areas. It's common to many cities.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

rxlexi wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:25 am Thanks for the pics!

Bit of a side note, but I've been thinking about this recently - does any know the history of the blue and white street name tiles? At one point were all streets marked with these tiles?

I grew up near Brookside where many streets had these, and they've actually been replaced in large parts of those neighborhoods, but not in many others throughout the city.

The only other city I've seen them in is New Orleans. Love seeing them return in modern streetscape projects such as above.
I think there are some in the HIstoric Northeast as well.

One thing I like about some European cities is that they embed street plaques on the sides of corner buildings. They are usually at eye level. It's very helpful especially on narrow side streets and alleys. A street there can also wind around a lot, often going both east-west and north-south and other variations (NW, SE), and not follow a grid pattern. It can get confusing with the constant reference of these signs.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chaglang wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:34 pm Westport is pretty clearly several distinct areas lumped into a larger designation. It doesn't seem nuts to have different design standards for commercial and residential areas. It's common to many cities.
Totally agree with the content. My criticism was 100% about the meeting format.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

There's some savvy in walking people through sample infill buildings because people routinely think they understand what's in a set of design guidelines and then get out the torches and pitchforks the first time a compliant building they don't like the look of goes to CPC. They may not be urban planners or architects - as few people on this board are - but they'll sure as heck try and kill a project they don't like, regardless of whether it meets a set of design standards. For example, the HKC NIMBYs in Hyde Park are already complaining about the look of MAC's as-yet-undesigned project on Armour ("it's going to be too modern for a historic neighborhood!!!") despite MAC committing to following the TCO and most of those NIMBYs having been at the meetings when the overlay decisions were made.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Even historic neighborhoods have new buildings. The Kauffman Center sits right next to a historic Victorian school building--Webster House.

The NIMBYs need to stand at the intersection of Westport Road, Wyandotte, and W. 40th Street sometime and take a look around. Buildings from different eras and styles co-existing in a historic neighborhood.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0543119 ... 312!8i6656

Streets that are lined with retail have always had a lot of different styles and types of buildings and purposes.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Using this as the "close enough" thread, but for anyone who cares, Chubby's is closing Thursday morning.

The article doesn't have any information on what (if anything) is going into that space, but the Pitch managed to work in a throwaway "gentrification" comment anyway.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

swid wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:44 pm Using this as the "close enough" thread, but for anyone who cares, Chubby's is closing Thursday morning.

The article doesn't have any information on what (if anything) is going into that space, but the Pitch managed to work in a throwaway "gentrification" comment anyway.
I noticed that as well. If the area is rapidly gentrifying someone should tell the plasma center.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

smh wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:52 pm
swid wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:44 pm Using this as the "close enough" thread, but for anyone who cares, Chubby's is closing Thursday morning.

I noticed that as well. If the area is rapidly gentrifying someone should tell the plasma center.
I'd like to think this has more to do with no one wanting to pay $10+ for a shitty breakfast. I don't think I've been since this new company took over, but before that, it was garbage. I live two blocks away and it's not even in the consideration-set for breakfast.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

KC Star says Crazy Crab & Seafood will be going into Chub's.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^As long as it's not frozen breaded fried seafood, might be an upgrade.
Last edited by earthling on Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

kucer wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:25 pm KC Star says Crazy Crab & Seafood will be going into Chub's.
:puke:
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kucer wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:25 pm KC Star says Crazy Crab & Seafood will be going into Chub's.
That looks like the exact same koncept as Krab Kings akross the street (between Blarney Stone and Chez Charlie).

Guess that area is now the Crab District (the branding opportunities are endless...)
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

WSPanic wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:14 pm
smh wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:52 pm

I'd like to think this has more to do with no one wanting to pay $10+ for a shitty breakfast. I don't think I've been since this new company took over, but before that, it was garbage. I live two blocks away and it's not even in the consideration-set for breakfast.
It was nasty while drunk.
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

Crap not a crazy crabs - that is the poster child for gentrification.
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

I can't think of a better way for our newly-gentrified Kansas City Plasma & Crab District to market itself than Crazy Crab and Krab Kings leaving a bunch of discount/BOGO coupons at the KC CARES clinic. Crabs for crabs, everyone!

...I'll see myself out.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

kcjak wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:48 am The north side of Westport Rd between Holly and Wiedenmann (just north of the old Berbiglia that was torn down for the new QT) is rumored to be torn down for apartments. The owner of the salon in one of the houses said they were being forced to move, and when I asked for more details she said they were tearing down the entire block. I find it more likely that only the homes fronting Westport Rd would be torn down or the neighborhood folks would go nuts. Anyone have details?
I don't have any details, but driving by this week I can definitely confirm all of the businesses in those houses have been vacated. Also, the used car dealership has been vacated. That block is definitely being prepped for a development.

marieantoinette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by marieantoinette »

swid wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:47 pm I can't think of a better way for our newly-gentrified Kansas City Plasma & Crab District to market itself than Crazy Crab and Krab Kings leaving a bunch of discount/BOGO coupons at the KC CARES clinic. Crabs for crabs, everyone!

...I'll see myself out.
Do you really think Westport is "gentrifying"?
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Of course not - I had assumed that my word choice for nearly every word after "gentrified" in that comment would have given away that I don't actually believe it is, but here we are.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

swid wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:35 pm Of course not - I had assumed that my word choice for nearly every word after "gentrified" in that comment would have given away that I don't actually believe it is, but here we are.
I got the joke and laughed. I’m old enough to get sarcasm.
marieantoinette
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by marieantoinette »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:35 pm
swid wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:35 pm Of course not - I had assumed that my word choice for nearly every word after "gentrified" in that comment would have given away that I don't actually believe it is, but here we are.
I got the joke and laughed. I’m old enough to get sarcasm.
Jeez, I misread. People aren't very kind on this forum are they.