Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by im2kull »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:34 pm Except brgr burgers are below average at best
Kind of like Shake Shack...
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

im2kull wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:12 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:34 pm Except brgr burgers are below average at best
Kind of like Shake Shack...
I kind of disagree. The burger itself at Shake Shack was fine for $6 (a plain, single burger was under $5). BRGR offers no more quality and the burgers cost twice as much. Give me Town Topic any day over either.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

A few pictures of progress as of this morning.

Tudors

Summit Street south

Tudors South 3/4

Crowne Plaza South 3/4

Crowne Plaza front elevation

Mid Summit street with 3 "hold out" homes amid the work.

Tudors close-up

Tudors parking access

46 Summit Grading work

South end of Tudors

Summit St. north view

46 Penn Centre

Madison Extended Stay
Last edited by alejandro46 on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

Thanks for all the pics!

Looking thru them I'm surprised how many exposed power lines are still in place. I would have thought the city would make the developers bury them.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Thanks!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

horizons82 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:55 pm Thanks for all the pics!

Looking thru them I'm surprised how many exposed power lines are still in place. I would have thought the city would make the developers bury them.
Developers have nothing to do with the transmission system, which is what you're seeing. The developer would just run conduit to the pole. Our house is setup this way where the actual lines from the pole are below ground, some in conduit (power) and some micro trenched (telco)
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

flyingember wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:11 am

Developers have nothing to do with the transmission system, which is what you're seeing. The developer would just run conduit to the pole. Our house is setup this way where the actual lines from the pole are below ground, some in conduit (power) and some micro trenched (telco)
I understand how transmission systems work, I'm an architect...The thing here is these are large(ish) developments, oftentimes they'll go ahead and have adjacent utilities buried. My statement was poorly worded.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

horizons82 wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:40 am
flyingember wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:11 am

I understand how transmission systems work, I'm an architect...The thing here is these are large(ish) developments, oftentimes they'll go ahead and have adjacent utilities buried. My statement was poorly worded.
Either way I agree it would be nice if they were buried and I expect them to be. I live right by here and I haven noticed these power lines get whipped during big storms, and surely with big 46 Summit upgrades are going to be needed. We lose power pretty easily.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

Shots fired outside of the new Shake Shack almost an hour ago. No one was injured.

Police are still searching the area right now for the gunman. Lots of helicopters over head.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

JLowe2018 wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:00 pm Shots fired outside of the new Shake Shack almost an hour ago. No one was injured.

Police are still searching the area right now for the gunman. Lots of helicopters over head.
I knew that Shake Shack App was going to piss someone off.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I have yet to witness a shootout in a high dense area like the Plaza or Westport but I've always wondered if it gives eye witnesses or people close to the action PTSD? People replaying the image and wondering if they were walking in this spot 30 seconds later they might have been shot by one of the bullets. I'm assuming most of the people doing the shooting are not marksmen and bullets are flying everywhere.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

The hotel that was proposed south of the plaza got a thumbs down from the planning commission. Apparently they're still pursing the project though.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 04565.html

"Won't someone think of the quiet streets????"

What is in the water south of the plaza? Anymore they seem more anti-density than people in the actual burbs.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

"Connie Campbell, who lives in Plaza Pavilion apartments, said traffic in the South Plaza neighborhood is already a problem because of the community’s density. She worried travelers would struggle to navigate the “maze of one-way streets” and speed bumps, adding to congestion in the neighborhood.

“It’s just very difficult if you don’t know your way around,” Campbell said."

Good lord, this is the South Plaza not Boston.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Honey If you don't like density move to the fuckn burbs. KC has very little urbanity as it is and needs to build it up 5 fold, starting with The Plaza area as it's the easiest path to get there.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think I'm making a spoof Twitter handle where I make up these insane excuses for why developments shouldn't happen but I'm afraid the parody wouldn't be strong enough and people would end up agreeing with me.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Wonder if anyone stated the fact that this area is next to a bunch of restaurants and like 4 blocks from the Plaza so there would really be no need to use a car to get around. Also I think people visiting would more than likely use uber or lyft to get around, so there is no need to get lost and roam thru quiet residential streets.
This area really needs more density if the restaurants and businesses want to survive.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It’s a hotel. It’s not going to add residents/taxpayers/voters to the neighborhood. Their reasoning might not be solid but if I lived there I’m not sure how excited I would be about this either.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

/\ If it was an apartment complex then they would be okay with it?
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

chaglang wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:15 pm It’s a hotel. It’s not going to add residents/taxpayers/voters to the neighborhood. Their reasoning might not be solid but if I lived there I’m not sure how excited I would be about this either.
You have tourism taxes, sales taxes, etc from everyone staying and working there, so it is adding something back. I get where they're coming from on visually it's unappealing, but it's density and it's currently an ugly ass surface lot.

Hell they're not asking for any tax incentives to build it!

This is wealthy people being petty.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

I guess I’d be more upset about the neighborhood opposing it if it were housing. That neighborhood has shown that they will support residential density- the 51 Main development in particular. Hotels are a pretty low-grade form of density IMO because they lack actual residents. And if the neighborhood is holding out for something better, I understand that too. It isn’t unrealistic that apartments could be proposed on that site at some point. We’re just talking about a Home2Suites here.