Keystone Innovation District

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Keystone Innovation District

Post by snigglefritz »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... j=84298891

Not sure whether McGinnis' 2015 pitch to KC Rising was talked about here but this sounds like an interesting concept if he can get it off the ground.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Keystone Innovation District

Post by horizons82 »

This sure seems like it lines up with what KCATA was looking for for their site (bold, dense, etc). Would not be surprised to see it go there.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I read the article. From the description, I don't see anything being proposed that is new and different. Seems like it's all being done by a number of other players in KC. Am I wrong? I guess the concept includes a campus with some ancillary functions like a little retail, but the Crossroads already provides that for the entrepreneur support options in the area.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

I'm surprised this initiative isn't generating more discussion here. Maybe it's because it's currently conceptual and not bricks and mortar.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

It seems like a good idea but to your point it’s all aspirational right now. That and entrepreneurial buzzwords push the needle on my b.s. detector into the red.

In practical terms, it being connected to the 18th and Vine area makes me a little more skeptical of its success than I ordinarily would be.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

This is being described as a new thing for KC, but it seems to me that what he's proposing is what the Crossroads already is. Sitting on the edge of the Crossroads as described, it's not going to function as a stand-alone effort. It could certainly bring some added energy and maybe beef up some piece of the entrepreneurial puzzle like educational opportunities, but it's not going be a thing unto itself. It seems to me he's just bringing some ideas from other cities back to KC's existing Innovation District.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Yeah, this could become something interesting but right now sounds like vapor and buzzwords. Would like to see something more concrete; downtown could use an infusion of STEM space.

Probably the best example of a successful "innovation district" in the region is CORTEX in midtown STL. However, it has been a 15 year process and has partners in Washington University and anchor biotech firms, and proximity to SLU. And it is still a work in progress, more office park than exciting urban enclave. Assuming "keystone" aspires to something similar.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am Yeah, this could become something interesting but right now sounds like vapor and buzzwords.
I disagree. I think they can cultivate a lot of synergy with a bricks-and-clicks model that is e-enabled for collaborative growth strategies.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

WSPanic wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:17 pm
rxlexi wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:23 am Yeah, this could become something interesting but right now sounds like vapor and buzzwords.
I disagree. I think they can cultivate a lot of synergy with a bricks-and-clicks model that is e-enabled for collaborative growth strategies.
# =D> # :lol:
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Proposed city resolution would give $900K to new innovation district
Kansas City Councilman Jermaine Reed wants the city to support the proposed innovation district inside the 18th Street corridor in a big way.

Reed sponsored a resolution that asks the city manager to negotiate a three-year agreement with Keystone Community Corp. and identify $900,000 in funding to support planning, designing, managing and consulting services for the district.

Kevin McGinnis, who's spearheading the innovation district efforts, formed nonprofit organization Keystone Community Corp. to manage the district, which aims to bring density and scale to innovation and entrepreneurship. An exact location hasn't yet been announced, but the district spans portions of the 3rd and 4th Council Districts and will connect the 18th & Vine Jazz District to the Crossroads Arts District.

https://tinyurl.com/y84okvco
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The proposed location of the Keystone Innovation District is a one block site owned by the KCATA north of 18th Street between Forest and Troost. Illustration: BNIM

Keystone Innovation District Concept Taking Shape, Big Civic Endeavor at 18th and Troost

The Keystone Innovation District proposal took its first concrete step recently when backers signed a predevelopment agreement for the planned site of the $90 million-plus endeavor at 18th and Troost.

A development entity established by J.E. Dunn Construction reached the agreement with the Kansas City Area Transportation Authority, which owns the block targeted for the proposed education, research and entrepreneurial center.
Sterner said the KCATA agreement gives J.E. Dunn development rights to the two-acre site during the due diligence period. The property is the block bound by 17th and 18th streets, from Troost to Forest.

The tentative plan calls for a development valued at $90 million- to $120 million that would be built in two phases.

https://cityscenekc.com/keystone-innov ... nd-troost/

https://tinyurl.com/yb63bkqk
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

This looks like an excellent project
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I like that it has some color.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

Why should it not be near UMKC and Rockhurst?
Last edited by missingkc on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

missingkc wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:02 pm Why should it not be near UMKC and Rockhurst?
I'd argue the area needs this sort of investment much more than UMKC/Rockhurst
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

IMO if this project and district has success this could be the biggest thing since the Crossroads' success.
Troost has become a fantastic trophy for the city but this is really where the rubber hits the road.
Establishing 18th Street as a successful residential, mixed use and cultural epicenter with The Vine is something that seems impossible. The leadership at City Hall's failure to complete the East Village and 3 decades of 18th & Vine disasters by so-called "Black Leadership" informs me that the 2 simply can't negotiate development on an executive level. I hope that changes with this Keystone District.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

missingkc wrote: Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:02 pm Why should it not be near UMKC and Rockhurst?
And be surrounded by single family homes?
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Hope this one pans our, would be interested on where that $90m in funding is coming from. Would be a great catalyst to further residential and office development that would replace the junkyards, truck lots around that in East Crossroads. Although it still requires improvements, it would require less money to improve the sidewalks and streetscape along 18th than pour money endlessly into subsidizing an area surrounded by industrial and bus depots.
Last edited by alejandro46 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Looks like a cool, needed project... and I suspect it'll get mired in the affordable housing policy discussion somehow.