Parlor - 1707 Locust

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Parlor - 1707 Locust

Post by chingon »

TheLastGentleman wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:16 am I’ve reached the point in my adulthood where even the names of historic buildings annoy me. Pythias Building? Trump cannot usher in the horrifying and chaotic collapse of this society soon enough for me.
That’s the spirit.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Closed.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:21 pm Closed.
Just until Tuesday: https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 51445.html
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

7000 people over the weekend is pretty impressive
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Glad I went Thursday.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:28 am Glad I went Thursday.
I went thursday as well but it seemed odd because on Thursday a bunch of the vendors were out of items and it wasn't busy. You would think they would have fixed that by the Grand Opening. Some food stalls probably left Thousands in Profit by not stocking up over the weekend - You would think these vendors could have just made a quick run to Costco for supplies
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

I've been hearing mixed reviews for Parlor. From some individual stand out restaurants to over-priced drinks that were weak and some food prices that people claimed were New York prices. Some have said service is very inconsistent. I hope to try them out this weekend.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I think its pretty overrated, it felt like a Hipster Circle Jerk to me and if you weren't in that circle jerk then the service was subpar.
Why do we always screw this stuff up?
Our Food Truck Culture is half assed and lets not forget about the Little Piggy Foot Lot Failure
I honestly think Parlor could fail
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

It's a unique product for downtown to have. If it fails, would think due to high prices rather than the food/vibe of place. Liked the outdoor deck most. KC Pils was $3 special of day when I was there, so there's that. Did the Scandinavian sausages with thin potatoes slices - good but overpriced.

Given there are 7 kitchens, would expect a rotation every 6 months but not whole place going under quickly. Could be wrong - there's a lot to choose from downtown now.
Last edited by earthling on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

haven't been yet (waiting for the hype to die down and snafus to be addressed) but how high of prices are we talking?
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

$12 hot dog
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kboish wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm$12 hot dog
:lol:
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

earthling wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:16 pm It's a unique product for downtown to have. If it fails, would think due to high prices rather than the food/vibe of place. Liked the outdoor deck most. ..

Given there are 7 kitchens, would expect a rotation every 6 months but not whole place going under quickly. Could be wrong - there's a lot to choose from downtown now.
I agree with this.

I don't get why this place is going for high end food? If the format is intended for proprietors to test out their concept and then move on to a stand alone venue, then I would expect the food to be affordablish in this format. ZERO service/counter service with high end prices is not a good recipe for success.
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

earthling wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:16 pm It's a unique product for downtown to have. If it fails, would think due to high prices rather than the food/vibe of place. Liked the outdoor deck most. KC Pils was $3 special of day when I was there, so there's that. Did the Scandinavian sausages with thin potatoes slices - good but overpriced.

I spoke with one of the vendors last week and, according to him, they all signed 1 to 3 year leases. That seems crazy to me, especially since I was also under the impression it would be a constantly rotating "test-kitchen" of sorts. He could also have been mistaken and that it's more of a short-term lease with various options to extend. Personally, I'd love to see new blood on a more frequent basis but that may not be Parlor's vision (if they have a cohesive one).
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Another quibble I have is related to tipping. This isn't just a Parlor thing, tipping for counter service has now become an industry wide thing. Why am I being prompted to tip for counter service? Worse at Parlor because suggested tips on the register start at 20% and go to 30%. What service am I receiving for this? I carry my food to my seat, that I also have to find. I have to make multiple trips to get my fork, my water glass, and even the water carafe. Its insulting.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

I don't think you're really tipping in exchange for any kind of service. Unfortunately it's more like a donation to subsidize the sub-living wages of the American service industry.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

kboish wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:51 pm Another quibble I have is related to tipping. This isn't just a Parlor thing, tipping for counter service has now become an industry wide thing. Why am I being prompted to tip for counter service? Worse at Parlor because suggested tips on the register start at 20% and go to 30%. What service am I receiving for this? I carry my food to my seat, that I also have to find. I have to make multiple trips to get my fork, my water glass, and even the water carafe. Its insulting.
They could and should include the cost of the tip in their food, but then the food would cost even more, and they would be less competitive with other restaurants. We won't get rid of counter-serve tipping without getting rid of tipping altogether.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

chrizow wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:55 pm I don't think you're really tipping in exchange for any kind of service. Unfortunately it's more like a donation to subsidize the sub-living wages of the American service industry.
I associate "sub-living wages of the American service industry" with actual servers that are paid under $4/hour because they earn tips. I have no idea what Parlor employees make, but I don't see any of them in that category, except maybe the bartenders.

ETA: I also don't think it's fair for them to ask for tips prior to them actually delivering the food. At Parlor, you have to pay/tip as you order. So, in essence, it's more of a "good faith donation" than a "tip."
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

WSPanic wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:08 pm
chrizow wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:55 pm I don't think you're really tipping in exchange for any kind of service. Unfortunately it's more like a donation to subsidize the sub-living wages of the American service industry.
I associate "sub-living wages of the American service industry" with actual servers that are paid under $4/hour because they earn tips. I have no idea what Parlor employees make, but I don't see any of them in that category, except maybe the bartenders.

ETA: I also don't think it's fair for them to ask for tips prior to them actually delivering the food. At Parlor, you have to pay/tip as you order. So, in essence, it's more of a "good faith donation" than a "tip."
Right, typically counter service employees do not fall under tipping laws and must be paid the state minimum wage. The current minimum wage, of course, is insufficient to live off.
tower wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:06 pm
kboish wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:51 pm Another quibble I have is related to tipping. This isn't just a Parlor thing, tipping for counter service has now become an industry wide thing. Why am I being prompted to tip for counter service? Worse at Parlor because suggested tips on the register start at 20% and go to 30%. What service am I receiving for this? I carry my food to my seat, that I also have to find. I have to make multiple trips to get my fork, my water glass, and even the water carafe. Its insulting.
They could and should include the cost of the tip in their food, but then the food would cost even more, and they would be less competitive with other restaurants. We won't get rid of counter-serve tipping without getting rid of tipping altogether.
Agreed.

But, if they can't cover their employee costs based on the prices they're charging...they're in trouble. As far as getting rid of tipping, there is a pretty strong movement against that on the coasts right now. Its may happen.
Last edited by kboish on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

chrizow wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:24 pm
kboish wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm$12 hot dog
:lol:
In fairness, its pretty substantial and prepared by the team behind Krokstrum.