Bird Scooters Have Landed

Transportation topics in KC
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by earthling »

^Yeah, Lime expanding through morning. Now many around Westport/Plaza to UMKC/Rockhurst. And they are planting directly on Plaza, which Bird isn't doing.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

250 this week, 250 more in a few weeks.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

How do we regulate this?

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I'm not talking about the specific case here, but I believe a lot of places use them for private security and they have no authority in the streets.

I know it's a bit joking, but I haven't had a lot of Segway encounters that bother me.

I hope the answer is to try to keep scooters on the street, but deal with it with warnings and education and not tickets
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

If there were a thousand Segways for rent on the streets it would be a bit different than a patrol rider.

Wouldn't mind seeing the app saying 'potential $50 fine for riding on sidewalk'. It doesn't have to be enforced but should reduce sidewalk riding.

I've seen some very poor sidewalk placement (in threes) by Lime Juicers around midtown, blocking more than half of sidewalk. And I do move some poorly placed scooters if walking by. Overall the pros/benefits outweigh the cons but there is plenty lack of courtesy/common sense to deal with.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Not too thrilled with Lime's pre-allocated Wallet method as a user but it is brilliant on their part. If a Bird and Lime are near each other, I'm more likely to grab Lime unless low on power.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You don't have to buy those packs of money I realized. Just add a cc and when you scan to ride you'll be charged your actual amount.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I figured there might be a way but it did push me to buy a Wallet on second ride, and I did spur of moment. I didn't see a way to bypass and wanted to get on so didn't delve.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've only rode lime once so maybe it does make you.... And that does suck... Overall I like their app better.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The Lime app allows you to report badly parked devices, even if you're not a rider.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And tlyou can rate other riders pics... That's fun.
JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by JLowe2018 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:15 am You don't have to buy those packs of money I realized. Just add a cc and when you scan to ride you'll be charged your actual amount.
How do I get around this? Cause I’ve gotten a message that told me “I don’t have enough credits to start a ride” and I prepaid to get around it. The prepaid method is brilliant on Lime’s part for themselves but I much rather prefer the pay-as-you-go method of Bird as a rider.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Maybe I'm just living on referral credits? Its only taking a buck out of my referral and charging me the remainder but maybe once that dries up I'll be forced to buy?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Interesting find in code.

50-123
Placing bicycle, wheelbarrow or other vehicle on parks or boulevards:
No velocipede, bicycle, tricycle, wheelbarrow, handcart or other vehicle shall be placed by the owner or any other person in charge or control thereof, or be permitted by such person, upon sidewalks, curbstones, grass plots or planting space of any park, boulevard, parkway, avenue, street or park road.

I could argue this actually applies to any street because it's missing an Oxford comma, but even if it doesn't this means you can not park a bike or scooter in the sidewalk of Grand, 12th or Broadway downtown or inside any city park. That statement we see to always park in the furniture zone of the sidewalk isn't always true. The only consistently legal place citywide is in the street or parking lot.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

Hopefully you will not notice anything different, but Bird rolled out a new pricing structure for it's chargers lowering the amount down to $3 a scooter from $5. Huuuuge amounts of chargers are obviously not happy with this move, so I guess we will see over the next few days if scooters are left en mass since many aren't finding it worth it.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Wow... It's not even worth it for 5 bucks.....
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:14 pm Wow... It's not even worth it for 5 bucks.....
If you're like me and live downtown it actually is. I barely drove to pick up scooters and could stack 3 on each other so there's $15 for around 40 cents in electricity. So it's quite profitable.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Or 9 with bird now?

Your time has to be worth something.... I actually signed up to be a lime charger and am doing one tonight... I can't imagine wrangling more than 1 without a car.... This one just happened to be I'm within a block of me....
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:41 pm Or 9 with bird now?

Your time has to be worth something.... I actually signed up to be a lime charger and am doing one tonight... I can't imagine wrangling more than 1 without a car.... This one just happened to be I'm within a block of me....
Ride one and use the other two for stability 8)