Open Spaces - Kansas City Arts Experience

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Open Spaces - Kansas City Arts Experience

Post by grovester »

https://openspaceskc.com/

Looks pretty bold.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Open Spaces - Kansas City Arts Experience

Post by rxlexi »

Definitely an ambitious undertaking, and the culmination of Sly's push towards KC as cultural capital, etc.

Surprised we haven't had more discussion about this on here, or the massive failure of what coulda/shoulda been an awesome Jazz & Heritage Festival a la Nola.

Worried about the length, and the ability for organizers to sustain momentum and visibility for a brand new arts-based event over that period.

The Swope Arts Village sounds awesome in theory - really looking forward to checking that out. Whether or not it turns out to be a good idea, seeing Swope Park as the centerpiece of a city-wide cultural event makes me happy.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I'm also a bit worried about execution, but OTOH, they have some opportunities to work out kinks before the main event.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

:shock: 62 days :shock:
Hopefully they market the hell out of it. No excuse for anyone living in KC to NOT check it out at some point. I love the Swope Park focus, hopefully this activates the park for more events (ethnic food fest is already great)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Unpopular opinion: Meh.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I completely forgot about this and we go to a lot of art shows.

It's going to have piddly attendance. Too many long tail styles, too easy to miss something because it's the wrong week, too much travel to see everything.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Yeah, I get the go big or go home idea of hosting this major festival like the big boys, but I can't help but think the city (and attendees) would have been better served with one jam packed weekend, in one general area. Or maybe a full week, with a kickoff and closing weekend.

We shall see. I hope it's not a one and done - I like the ambition.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

I was linked into this article about a very cool art concept piece that's going to be around downtown for the Experience.

https://silodrome.com/ram-jet-powered-scooter/
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Almost two weeks in to this - anyone participate yet?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

kcjak wrote: Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:00 pm Almost two weeks in to this - anyone participate yet?
No. I haven't been to anything yet. Everytime I start to browse the website I get pissed off that it's not organized better.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

I've gone to see quite a few of the pieces.

The concentration of pieces at Swope Park is great. They are a bit hard to find at first. The App isn't perfect. The swimming pool full of flowers is my favorite piece in Swope. Don't miss the creepy bird people in the abandoned park's office.

Nick Cave's Hye Dyve in the abandoned church is amazing. Best thing I've seen at Open Spaces. It was a little unsettling to park in an alley over there "East of 71", but it was not really bad at all. Sad to see that area. You can tell it was once a grand part of the city. Love that they put the best installation over there. Forcing everyone to make the pilgrimage east of 71 opens everyone's eyes up to the 'other side' of the city.

18th and Vine area has a couple of interesting things, too. There is a cool neon sign on the side of an abandoned building. It has the words from a love letter written by Charlie Parker. I want to go back and see it at night.

Go to the Nick Cave abandoned church!!!
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

What is the app that I should look for?
TrolliKC
Supporter

Post by TrolliKC »

TrolliKC wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:10 pm What is the app that I should look for?
Never mind, I got lazy and should have just looked for it. Found it under "Open Spaces KC" in the app store… go figure
anonkcmo
Pad site
Pad site

Post by anonkcmo »

Location, location, location = fail.

This city simply cannot get it right.
They keep throwing events at Swope Park and nothing is successful.
Example: The Ethnic Fest should have 10 times more visitors than it gets.
But who wants to park in a field and walk a mile through tall, chigger-infested grass only to stand all day and have a few refreshment offerings? The stage is crumby, no seating....it's just a loser.

And what visitor to the city in their right mind would want to stay anywhere near Swope Park?
If successful and attracts anyone from out of town, where do they stay?
We used to have a fairly successful Jazz and Blues Festival in Penn Valley Park.
That ended...decades ago?

Swope Park is just the worst location for any event in this entire city.
But the city refuses to admit it.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

anonkcmo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:17 pm Location, location, location = fail.

But who wants to park in a field and walk a mile through tall, chigger-infested grass only to stand all day and have a few refreshment offerings? The stage is crumby, no seating....it's just a loser.

And what visitor to the city in their right mind would want to stay anywhere near Swope Park?
We used to have a fairly successful Jazz and Blues Festival in Penn Valley Park.

Swope itself is very successful as a park. Millions of people go there every year. Not sure its the best venue for a festival (though I would love to see all the fucking races and runs and stuff moved there), but its a very nice municipal park. There’s a couple tweaks I think would make it cooler, but it stands on its own feet as is.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

anonkcmo wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:17 pm Location, location, location = fail.

The ethnic festival seems to be having a good run there.

Regardless, I refuse to admit as well - and you can't make me! I love Swope - great golf, great outdoor music venue, dog park, improving zoo, space for gatherings, etc. I suppose chiggers could be a problem - but it seems like that would be an issue in a lot of parks. Maybe the ethnic fest should move to a surface lot somewhere. That sounds nice.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

It has tics, too. Don't go there! You might get West Nile or chikungunya.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I don't think its the location, i think its the lack of decent marketing and lack of sponsorship. All of our events seem to be suffering all around the metro and I think a huge part is lack of Corporate Sponsors. People would probably go if they knew about the events. Ask 10 people right now at your work if they have heard of Open Spaces and maybe 2 or 3 will know.

I can't even think of what our best outdoor event is in this city, probably the Plaza Art Fair? Rockfest? Kenny Cheney Concert?

I wish they would just move Bouldvardia to October, sick of the super hot June days they happen to fall on every year.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The Ethnic Fest was pretty packed this year on the day I went. I hadn't been in a few years and I was surprised at the size of the crowd. Any more people and it probably would have been too much.

I'm planning on going to Open Spaces on Sunday.

On the general topic of festivals, I would love to see Spirit Fest brought back!
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I think it's more fear than anything. From the 70's until today it certainly is not perceived as a safe area. Southside used to have biker gangs hanging out most of the time. And the northside is adjacent to the "Murder Factory". The actual safety of the park is much different than the perceived safety. But it has had a profound impact on the use of the park. Nothing changes until that perception changes.