Bird Scooters Have Landed

Transportation topics in KC
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Bird Scooters Have Landed

Post by KCPowercat »

Wish people got this riled up for all the laws that are being violated around this city for decades that actually make pedestrian life unsafe....

And the city law isn't that clear on this....as has been discussed earlier.

I'm on your side, I don't want them on the sidewalk.... But I'll say again I get why people do it... Our streets and drivers are hostile.
benjaminkelley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by benjaminkelley »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:56 pm Wish people got this riled up for all the laws that are being violated around this city for decades that actually make pedestrian life unsafe....
I do, but there's not a thread about people throwing cigarette butts on the ground or cops using no parking zones for non-police business, etc...
Some of the people here that know me know I'm very vocal about plenty of these things.

What makes this different? It's very very visible, it also has "new" associated with it, which brings more visibility(media articles, social media components).
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

When Lime hits with another 400-500 scooters would expect those annoyed by scooters to speak up louder. It's the nature of new things that are highly visible, especially interacting with drivers/peds.

The typical pro-urban position is that in the City..

- Peds are highest priority
- Bikes/scooters/transit are second
- Drivers are third class citizens (I accept this when I'm driving)

If you don't accept this, live in the burbs where car dependency is highest priority.

Scooter riders need to yield to pedestrians, simple as that. Don't ride sidewalks if you see a pedestrian, simple as that. Riders who don't yield to peds deserve a fine.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

earthling wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:18 pm When Lime hits with another 400-500 scooters would expect those annoyed by scooters to speak up louder. It's the nature of new things that are highly visible, especially interacting with drivers/peds.

The typical pro-urban position is that in the City..

- Peds are highest priority
- Bikes/scooters/transit are second
- Drivers are third class citizens (I accept this when I'm driving)

If you don't accept this, live in the burbs where car dependency is highest priority.

Scooter riders need to yield to pedestrians, simple as that. Don't ride sidewalks if you see a pedestrian, simple as that. Riders who don't yield to peds deserve a fine.
Agreed. .. Although I'm not ready for fines unless we do a comprehensive fine system for a variety of pedestrian dangers.... One tier for violation... Another for violations where there is injury involved.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

benjaminkelley wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:15 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:56 pm Wish people got this riled up for all the laws that are being violated around this city for decades that actually make pedestrian life unsafe....
I do, but there's not a thread about people throwing cigarette butts on the ground or cops using no parking zones for non-police business, etc...
Some of the people here that know me know I'm very vocal about plenty of these things.

What makes this different? It's very very visible, it also has "new" associated with it, which brings more visibility(media articles, social media components).
Well I wouldn't put cigarette butts or cops parking (who may need to leave quickly) very high on my ped danger list but I get your overall point and agree.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

I didn't have any real beef with the scooter riders until today when I was driving back to work from getting my hair cut. I really think they need to be banned on Main from 12th to 20th. The traffic lanes are just too narrow to be able to get around them safely and the streetcar tracks are a scooter accident waiting to happen (too many people seem unable to ride these things in a straight line), but the sidewalks are too busy with pedestrians for the scooters to leave the roadway.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

scooterj wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:43 pm I was driving back to work from getting my hair cut.
WHO'S THE MENACE NOW, driving your death machine on our public streets...
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

chrizow wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:45 pm
scooterj wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:43 pm I was driving back to work from getting my hair cut.
WHO'S THE MENACE NOW, driving your death machine on our public streets...
If they'd built the streetcar long enough the first time around I wouldn't HAVE to drive! :lol:
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

scooterj wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:43 pm I didn't have any real beef with the scooter riders until today when I was driving back to work from getting my hair cut. I really think they need to be banned on Main from 12th to 20th. The traffic lanes are just too narrow to be able to get around them safely and the streetcar tracks are a scooter accident waiting to happen (too many people seem unable to ride these things in a straight line), but the sidewalks are too busy with pedestrians for the scooters to leave the roadway.
I rode down Main today. I purposely slalomed back and forth across the road as a form of silent protest against the four wheeled death machines.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

scooterj wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:43 pm I didn't have any real beef with the scooter riders until today when I was driving back to work from getting my hair cut. I really think they need to be banned on Main from 12th to 20th. The traffic lanes are just too narrow to be able to get around them safely and the streetcar tracks are a scooter accident waiting to happen (too many people seem unable to ride these things in a straight line), but the sidewalks are too busy with pedestrians for the scooters to leave the roadway.
“Too narrow” just means go slower

You aren’t supposed to just get around them unless you can go into the next lane. It’s like a sharrow and bikes. The scooter gets the whole lane, not the 2 feet you don’t need to pass them.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:29 pm
“Too narrow” just means go slower

You aren’t supposed to just get around them unless you can go into the next lane. It’s like a sharrow and bikes. The scooter gets the whole lane, not the 2 feet you don’t need to pass them.
“Too narrow” means the perfect section of main street to ban cars from first. :)
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

And this is a friend omto our cause.... Understand why people might be afraid to ride on the street? Drivers are going to become agressive and dangerous.

Keen scooter riders would ride on less busy streets than main.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Jesus. You make one suggestion that a few blocks of Of one street might be too dangerous for them (the same few blocks that have signs cautioning cyclists, mind you), and suddenly you are some sort of murderous pro-car nut job.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not what I was trying to say at all... Was saying you are one that gets it and how all transportation fits together and how scooters on a busy narrow street could be perceived poorly by someone who is already anti anything but car. Sorry if that came across wrong.

I totally agree with you on the main street thing.... I actually put in a support request the second day to request a no ride zone in the same area you described.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

scooterj wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:41 pm Jesus. You make one suggestion that a few blocks of Of one street might be too dangerous for them (the same few blocks that have signs cautioning cyclists, mind you), and suddenly you are some sort of murderous pro-car nut job.
I tried this a few pages back and was told similar. I'll stand in solidarity with you. :D
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Seems red zoning the streetcar line makes more sense as more notice issues. Riders can get caught in tracks, riders on sidewalk buzzing by sometimes packed streetcar stops, Main is busiest ped stretch, etc. Scooters should be allowed to cross Main but perhaps not ride along or park. Scooters can be parked at the cross streets near corner of Main.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

scooterj wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:41 pm Jesus. You make one suggestion that a few blocks of Of one street might be too dangerous for them (the same few blocks that have signs cautioning cyclists, mind you), and suddenly you are some sort of murderous pro-car nut job.
Frankly, I expected better based on your screen name. How do you even live with yourself?
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:07 pm
I rode down Main today. I purposely slalomed back and forth across the road as a form of silent protest against the four wheeled death machines.
Ha...just a dude this morning go down Main from the Fed on wrong side of street and then cross the six lanes in the middle of the hill while looking back for oncoming traffic coming downhill. No helmet.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I had two bird-based revelations yesterday:

1. Riding in the street at 5:00pm is not particularly fun;
2. If you're going to ride down Main at 5:00pm your best bet is to tailgate the streetcar so drivers don't think you're the hold up.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'm with stupid shirts.... Pointing to big dumb streetcar