Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Post Reply
scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5840
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by scooterj » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:30 pm

The imagery can't be more than a couple months old because it includes my new driveway. :) New things you can see include interior walls at the Berkeley Riverfront apartments and a nearly topped-off Two Light.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place
Posts: 6814
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 am

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by flyingember » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:52 am

Every development announces publicly they're going for unique occupants and end up looking like the next shopping center up.

The new Plaza owners just go and find interesting options without fanfare.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 455
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by TheLastGentleman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:33 pm

Now two light appears as finished. Also convention hotel construction

benjaminkelley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:57 pm

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by benjaminkelley » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:42 am

Only on mobile tho. Full desktop site still shows one light as a brown pit, My building(1914 Main) is still a surface lot.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 455
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by TheLastGentleman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:01 am

Weird. I just assumed the desktop site would be on the same schedule

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5840
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by scooterj » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:13 am

benjaminkelley wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:42 am
Only on mobile tho. Full desktop site still shows one light as a brown pit, My building(1914 Main) is still a surface lot.
And also (on mobile) only when zoomed in a bit. Zoomed out on mobile still shows the old map.

Desktop does show it too, but you have to disable 3D (which they recently changed to the "Globe" icon in the settings.) The 3D imagery is so old it shows the earliest stages of One Light.

My redbud trees are all red, so it must have been around mid-Spring.

User avatar
TheLastGentleman
New York Life
New York Life
Posts: 455
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:27 pm

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by TheLastGentleman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:01 am

I know NYC and London have gotten their 3d model updated recently, at least in their cores. I think they update every 5 years, which means kc won't be due until next year, since the imagery shows the 2014 king tut exhibit on the front of union station

benjaminkelley
Parking Garage
Parking Garage
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:57 pm

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by benjaminkelley » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:13 am

scooterj wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:13 am
Desktop does show it too, but you have to disable 3D (which they recently changed to the "Globe" icon in the settings.) The 3D imagery is so old it shows the earliest stages of One Light.

Thanks for the tip on disabling stupid 3d mode, couldn't find where they moved the setting to on desktop version.
That then does allow it show the updated imagery.

User avatar
Critical_Mass
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts
Posts: 550
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:56 pm
Location: Crossroads

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by Critical_Mass » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:15 pm

benjaminkelley wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:42 am
Only on mobile tho. Full desktop site still shows one light as a brown pit, My building(1914 Main) is still a surface lot.

http://www.nearby.org.uk/google/nolabels-map.php

No labels google maps satellite imagery

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5840
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by scooterj » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:43 pm

benjaminkelley wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:13 am
scooterj wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:13 am
Desktop does show it too, but you have to disable 3D (which they recently changed to the "Globe" icon in the settings.) The 3D imagery is so old it shows the earliest stages of One Light.

Thanks for the tip on disabling stupid 3d mode, couldn't find where they moved the setting to on desktop version.
That then does allow it show the updated imagery.
I wish Google would turn 3D off by default unless you specifically select to 45-degree view. It serves little purpose when viewing from above, is always out of date, and makes it hard to accurately place markers.

bspecht
Pad site
Pad site
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:31 pm
Location: DC
Contact:

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by bspecht » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:26 pm

Looks like the satellite update is from a Saturday morning about ~10am. Swaths of empty parking in Crossroads, while River Market surface parking is near capacity.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5840
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by scooterj » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:21 pm

bspecht wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:26 pm
Looks like the satellite update is from a Saturday morning about ~10am. Swaths of empty parking in Crossroads, while River Market surface parking is near capacity.
My money is on May 5. My Google Photos archive of that day show it sunny and clear, with my redbuds in full bloom, and photos of people at my house that match the cars visible in the driveway in satellite view.

God I'm such a nerd.

KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 825
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:19 am
Location: NKC

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by KCLover » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:14 am

Somewhere around May 1st.

You can tell by the convention hotel construction. Portable red crane is there to assemble 2nd tower crane. Went back through Loews thread to confirm, but like you said sure appears a Saturday for all the activity at City Market and I noticed 14th is closed between Main and Grand.

Edit: I spent way too much time on this, but am 99% sure it was Saturday, April 28th. Being that 14th is closed, I looked for events and the 2018 Downtown Wine Walk was that day. Found photos and they had round tables in the road and pop up tent placed in front of Bristol that jives up with what you see on the Google satellite image. Mystery solved?

Edit 2: Make that 100% sure now. Parkville Brewfest was that day in English Landing Park, which I was at. Can clearly see the tents in the satellite image.

User avatar
Eon Blue
Colonnade
Colonnade
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:28 pm
Location: Downtown KCMO

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by Eon Blue » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:14 pm

scooterj wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:43 pm
benjaminkelley wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:13 am
scooterj wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:13 am
Desktop does show it too, but you have to disable 3D (which they recently changed to the "Globe" icon in the settings.) The 3D imagery is so old it shows the earliest stages of One Light.

Thanks for the tip on disabling stupid 3d mode, couldn't find where they moved the setting to on desktop version.
That then does allow it show the updated imagery.
I wish Google would turn 3D off by default unless you specifically select to 45-degree view. It serves little purpose when viewing from above, is always out of date, and makes it hard to accurately place markers.
Yes, thank you for that tip! The 3D buildings are just an annoying novelty to me.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower
Posts: 5840
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2003 1:30 pm
Location: Northmoor
Contact:

Re: Google Maps just did another satellite view update for KC

Post by scooterj » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:14 am

KCLover wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:14 am
Edit: I spent way too much time on this, but am 99% sure it was Saturday, April 28th. Being that 14th is closed, I looked for events and the 2018 Downtown Wine Walk was that day. Found photos and they had round tables in the road and pop up tent placed in front of Bristol that jives up with what you see on the Google satellite image. Mystery solved?

Edit 2: Make that 100% sure now. Parkville Brewfest was that day in English Landing Park, which I was at. Can clearly see the tents in the satellite image.

Nice catch! Must have been early in the morning based on tree shadows and there not being very many people there yet. (Though there sure are a lot of cars?) This means the extra cars in my driveway would be from the people who met at my house to ride with me to the festival. I hadn't thought of that.

Post Reply