Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO »

The "Webster Garage" was indeed removed from the TIF after neighborhood backlash over the demolition of the Orion Building. She must realize that TIF for anything on the proposed BNIM site would be poisonous...
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Looks like a barcade of sorts but instead of video games its volleyball, ping pong and yard games -The person that started KC Crew is the one behind this project
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 86654.html
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

brewcrew1000 wrote:Looks like a barcade of sorts but instead of video games its volleyball, ping pong and yard games -The person that started KC Crew is the one behind this project
http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 86654.html
The Kansas City Star's former headquarters in the Crossroads is getting new life as a mixed-use development.

One of its first tenants could be a bar where you can play volleyball, ping-pong and other games.

Bar + Rec hopes to open on the first floor of the building's east side at 1729 Grand Blvd. in 2019.

1729 Grand would be the west side of the building.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Afterword Tavern at 19th & Grand is getting their final inspection on Monday. Should be open very soon!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Apparently the Vee Village property on Oak is for sale.

Also, 1822 Main (formerly a nightclub) has finally emerged from legal and tax trouble and should be back on the market soon.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

The previous plan for 1822 is dead I assume?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:Apparently the Vee Village property on Oak is for sale.
Worst news. That's my go to shop. I knew it was too good to last given the real estate environment over there.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:The previous plan for 1822 is dead I assume?
Yes. The current owner is the previous owner. The last tenant had first refusal to buy and re-sell, but I guess that's no longer the case.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Oak is being resurfaced and restriped now through July 6 with a bit of a road diet. Travel lanes reduced from six 12" to four 11" (two of the original six are peak hour only), on-street parking will become permanent (3 hrs, M-F 7a-6p), and bumpouts will be painted in the direction of travel on the far-side of 17th, 18th, and 19th.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

So with four feet of width taken off of the travel lanes (and I doubt the parking lanes will be 12 feet wide), what does the extra road space go to? Will a turn lane be added? A buffer between the parking and the sidewalk?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

tower wrote:So with four feet of width taken off of the travel lanes (and I doubt the parking lanes will be 12 feet wide), what does the extra road space go to? Will a turn lane be added? A buffer between the parking and the sidewalk?
No turn lane. I suspect there will just be plenty of buffer between on-street parking and the outside travel lane. Guess we'll have to wait until July 6 to find out!
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Will this include more crosswalks? I could be wrong but I don't believe there are any between Truman and 18th.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

scooterj wrote:Will this include more crosswalks? I could be wrong but I don't believe there are any between Truman and 18th.
We're not adding any new crosswalks, but the crossing distance will appear shorter due to the all-day parking and painted bumpouts at 17th, 18th, and 19th.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

DaveKCMO wrote:
scooterj wrote:Will this include more crosswalks? I could be wrong but I don't believe there are any between Truman and 18th.
We're not adding any new crosswalks, but the crossing distance will appear shorter due to the all-day parking and painted bumpouts at 17th, 18th, and 19th.
Painted bumpouts won't change anything for pedestrian safety. If they did there wouldn't be new bollards along the streetcar line where it has painted bumpouts, like 5th and Main.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Drove Oak this morning SB. There's not one difference in terms of the drive. Probably a little faster than before.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Well that's too bad.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Drove it Friday at rush hour and again this morning. No noticeable difference, even on a First Friday.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Did anyone walk or spend time on Oak outside of a car, maybe talk to any of the business owners or residents?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Meanwhile, in more productive conversation, the food trucks were corralled into pedestrian-only zones on 18th Street for the first time:

http://kccrossroads.org/crossroads-even ... -corridor/
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk51q4JnWBi/

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I liked that idea, seemed to work well....do food trucks have to pay to get in there and offset costs of closing the street? I think it would be good to set up a shared generator for everybody to tap into so they don't all run their smelly loud generators.