OFFICIAL - The New Yorker (Hotel Bray)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

OFFICIAL - The New Yorker (Hotel Bray)

Post by earthling »

Hotel Bray conversion to 29 units announced..
https://cityscenekc.com/historic-hotel- ... partments/

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL - The New Yorker (Hotel Bray)

Post by DaveKCMO »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... ments.html
John Bennett Jr., executive vice president of KCLoftCentral, said demolition has started in the building, which will cost only about $3.5 million to acquire and redevelop due to the fact that the structure, its plumbing and its electrical system got complete updates just 22 years ago.
As part of its new life as the New Yorker Lofts, the building's ground floor will be occupied by Made in KC, a homegrown retailer that opened its first location in Overland Park in 2015. Dedicated to connecting local artisans with customers, it has grown from a pop-up shop with 13 artists to a platform for more than 200 local artists, designers and makers.

On the second through ninth floors, the building will house studio and one-bedroom apartments with open layouts ranging in size from 385 to 745 square feet.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

"made in KC" cafe and taproom opens friday: https://www.facebook.com/events/200066283875324/
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

It would be cool if they repainted the "Fireproof" sign on the side. I always enjoy seeing that sign. Reassuring.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Impossible to see from the street but there is a good detection of KC stuff in the back of the made in KC store. There are going to serve beer somewhere back there in the sitting but I couldn't tell where
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote:Impossible to see from the street but there is a good detection of KC stuff in the back of the made in KC store. There are going to serve beer somewhere back there in the sitting but I couldn't tell where
If you walk back past the KC swag to the bathroom you'll walk through the tap room area. Looks like it could be very cool. It's a little curious to me how little you can see from the street. We went in Saturday and enjoyed our coffees and picked up some KC-centric gifts.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

No vacancy: This historic downtown KC hotel has 'micro' apartments for $525 a month
...The building's new owner, KC Loft Central, preserved its quirky character while converting it to a modern apartment building.

The New Yorker opened June 1 with 29 compact units with prices ranging from $525 for a 350-square-foot "micro studio" to $1,250 for a 745-square-foot apartment with one bedroom and two bathrooms.
http://www.kansascity.com/living/article212254999.html
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

This is such a great development. We need more like this with the right type of amenities and retail components. I know the units are small, but the fact that it is 100% leased should speak volumes to the demand for lower priced units.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Perhaps something similar could be done with the Ozark Building renovation (Partnership Place/UMB) at 9th and Grand, and also the Grand Avenue Temple building across the street.

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -sale.html

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.103633, ... 312!8i6656
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Video showing New Yorker Apartments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_kzRrpltMY
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

The tap room inside Made in KC is now open. Very relaxed vibe. Lots of good KC drink selections at reasonable prices.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

They need better signage on the street.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Or does the tap room intend to stay under the radar?
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

I mean, MIKC doesn't even have the proper hours on their door. I'd say they could at least step that up a tad.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

snigglefritz wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:59 pm I mean, MIKC doesn't even have the proper hours on their door. I'd say they could at least step that up a tad.
What are the proper hours? Even online they are listed differently on different sources.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I love this development as well - a quiet win for downtown. Attractive building with popular, small apartments, local coffee/bar tenant with a nice patio on once-quiet sidewalk, and wider than expected variety of local goods. Wedged between two hip hotels in the middle of the CBD.

Went yesterday for the 4th time and, thanks to this thread, finally realized they have a full bar in the back. The space is extremely long and narrow. I believe hours are posted right on the front door, unless they have changed. Hope the MKC cafe/bar sees solid local support; agreed that it does need better signage, particularly re: bar side.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

rxlexi wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:45 am I love this development as well - a quiet win for downtown. Attractive building with popular, small apartments, local coffee/bar tenant with a nice patio on once-quiet sidewalk, and wider than expected variety of local goods. Wedged between two hip hotels in the middle of the CBD.

Went yesterday for the 4th time and, thanks to this thread, finally realized they have a full bar in the back. The space is extremely long and narrow. I believe hours are posted right on the front door, unless they have changed. Hope the MKC cafe/bar sees solid local support; agreed that it does need better signage, particularly re: bar side.
The posted hours are something like 7-7, but they're open until at least 11pm certain nights...maybe every night?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »