Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Transportation topics in KC

How will you vote on Chastain's LRT proposal?

I will vote Yes!
56%
I will vote No!
26%
I don't vote!
5%
I don't live in KCMO
12%

Total votes: 148

tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Post by tower »

earthling wrote:Did a search, looks like one battery bus model can get 45 miles with just a 10 minute charge. Other searches show 120+ miles on a full charge. Sounds like it's ready for prime time.
Shenzhen, China has already replaced all their buses with electric buses, and Shenzhen is much larger than KC.The only thing stopping electric buses (and cars) is the cost.

I think Proterra is in the lead with electric buses right now. They have a bus with an advertised range of 251-426 miles, but they were actually able to get over 1100 with it while hypermiling: https://www.proterra.com/press-release/ ... le-charge/
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

^Yeah, saw the 1100 mile record, but at 15mph.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

earthling wrote:Did a search, looks like one battery bus model can get 45 miles with just a 10 minute charge. Other searches show 120+ miles on a full charge. Sounds like it's ready for prime time.
The math backs this up as plausible

With this hypothetical HOV lane to stay on schedule let's say it can go an average of 50mph over the course of the trip
It's 21 miles one way from 11th and Grand. So that's 25 minutes each way for a 50 minute round trip.

With the charging center at the airport in the new terminal garage can combine the pickup idle time with charging.

I like the idea of having one based out of the Mission transit center too because it's a straight shot up 635 to 29
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Perhaps the dumbest of all Chastain's proposals.

A simple high quality bus service from downtown to KCI would suffice. We do need that - have it stop downtown and and Union Station.

Beyond that, the proposal is further flawed by many of Chastain's past agendas - Penn Valley Park, robbing the bus system of its source of funding, side routes to places that don't generate enough traffic to justify, road closures, and gondolas.

Chastain's chances of ever getting anything passed in KC have long passed. I doubt if he ever even gets anything on the ballot again. I suspect there are people naive enough to still sign a Chastain petition but they have to be now very very few now.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Highlander wrote:A simple high quality bus service from downtown to KCI would suffice. We do need that - have it stop downtown and and Union Station.
We'll probably get this anyway (a) during KCI construction or at least (b) when the new terminal opens.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Why is the Clay Chastain the only person/groups proposing anything?

Update: I get that there is something obviously wrong with him and his proposals.
Last edited by normalthings on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Honestly, I think we need to start taking about this more as a mental health issue. I think it would be better to change the state law for serial abusers of the process, in the same way the supreme court cuts off access for non-criminal cases.

I don't even feel comfortable talking about this anymore. The guy has issues. Maybe if we could block him from coming back here, he could finally get the help he needs.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

normalthings wrote:Why is the Clay Chastain the only person/groups proposing anything?

Update: I get that there is something obviously wrong with him and his proposals.
Jackson County did have a plan but that was a Mike Sanders plan and he’s out. It got stuck with no railroad playing nice.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote:Why is the Clay Chastain the only person/groups proposing anything?
Lack of regional cooperation and civic support for a more comprehensive plan. KCMO is tapped out for sales tax capacity (minus a paltry 1/8-cent), so Chastain has to literally STEAL other taxes to make his plans work (even then it's a stretch).
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Highlander wrote:
A simple high quality bus service from downtown to KCI would suffice. We do need that - have it stop downtown and and Union Station.
you mean the 229 bus that we have now?

RideKC should just put up some billboards that inform people they can take the bus to the airport now, and see if people actually start using it for that purpose.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

dnweava wrote:
Highlander wrote:

RideKC should just put up some billboards that inform people they can take the bus to the airport now, and see if people actually start using it for that purpose.
A rebrand and a little marketing would probably increase ridership. Most people don't even know the route exists.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote:
dnweava wrote:
Highlander wrote:

A rebrand and a little marketing would probably increase ridership. Most people don't even know the route exists.
Exactly.

I said somewhere here before that we should do what Barcelona does. No one knows what a 229 is, but they know what an airport Express is.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Lack of regional cooperation and civic support for a more comprehensive plan. KCMO is tapped out for sales tax capacity (minus a paltry 1/8-cent), so Chastain has to literally STEAL other taxes to make his plans work (even then it's a stretch).
And yet Mayor Sly James and the Chamber of Commerce are proposing a new 3/8th cent sales tax to fund the expansion of early childhood education.

Sly James, Chamber want sales tax hike to expand pre-K in KCMO, but questions remain

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... 18909.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Apologies. KCMO is tapped out for transit sales tax capacity. This pre-K effort must be a separate authorization from the state (education? eco devo?), which The Star article doesn't address.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Would it require state approval to increase transit tax capabilities?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

normalthings wrote:Would it require state approval to increase transit tax capabilities?
Yes. There's an authorization on the books now, but it's for the Missouri counties and requires some other items to trigger it (MARC, I think?).
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Maybe this has already been discussed, but is Clay Chastain really back with another proposal? Of course it includes a gondola:

http://cityclerk.kcmo.org/LiveWeb/Docum ... Am1K4tQHZ7
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:27 am Maybe this has already been discussed, but is Clay Chastain really back with another proposal? Of course it includes a gondola:

It's the submitted petition for this
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9216&start=1640#p579582

The entire petition is centered Brookside/Waldo . If I had to guess, they only gathered signatures at one grocery store.

Interestingly, the name of who's submitting every page doesn't match the list of who's allowed to submit. If it's the same person that's lazy.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:27 am Maybe this has already been discussed, but is Clay Chastain really back with another proposal? Of course it includes a gondola:

Sweet Baby Jesus, what's wrong with this man?!?
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

He's going about this all wrong. He needs to become a billionaire CEO of an electric car company first, and then people will listen to his crazy transportation proposals.