KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Transportation topics in KC
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: KCI Flight Schedule Adjustments

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote:Going to be hard for me not to pick a legacy carrier given opportunity to earn/use miles and give me more options for time....whether I connect in KEF or DFW does not matter to me.
Again, we aren’t going to be able to get those legacy carriers if we don’t use our Icelandair service.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Not true. The airport and airlines have destination info and passenger numbers for kci...it's how justin meyer is always tweeting out top undeserved markets and other marketing data.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote:Not true. The airport and airlines have destination info and passenger numbers for kci...it's how justin meyer is always tweeting out top undeserved markets and other marketing data.
Yes, what I am saying is true. I am literally saying what he has said multiple times to multiple groups. Our pax numbers mean nothing if those pax do not book tickets on our direct flight. Including TV
Last edited by normalthings on Thu May 31, 2018 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Then don't get a direct flight to Iceland. ...which nobody was going to from kc anyways.

If our pax numbers mean nothing then why use them in trying to get new non stops.

My point ultimately is AA isn't looking at how well our Iceland direct does to decide if they want to go direct international to a large underserved market....makes no sense.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I want the new Icelandair route to be successful. That's why I looked up pricing for a trip there. It was an alternate destination to a trip to Mexico or west coast location. But, at that price, it's not a good product and it's not fair to demand support for an inferior product. I would have thought that Icelandair would have had a very competitive price to generate demand and attract customers not familiar with their product. I don't see how this is going to fly (sorry!).
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Thu May 31, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote:Then don't get a direct flight to Iceland. ...which nobody was going to from kc anyways.

If our pax numbers mean nothing then why use them in trying to get new non stops.

My point ultimately is AA isn't looking at how well our Iceland direct does to decide if they want to go direct international to a large underserved market....makes no sense.
My point is that bigger airlines ARE looking at how well our Icelandair flight is doing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Pressuring people with civic pride is nonsense.

I have no desire to go to Iceland. Might I go because we have a direct....more likely yes but I'm more likely to look at them as an option for my trips I want to do in Europe...if it's not a good deal then why would I use them?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ldai_phs wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Then don't get a direct flight to Iceland. ...which nobody was going to from kc anyways.

My point is that bigger airlines ARE looking at how well our Icelandair flight is doing.
That doesn't make sense. Going to have to hear additional reasons than the marketing guy who landed this flight told us so....he is driven to make that flight successful for Iceland air decision first.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:

That doesn't make sense. Going to have to hear additional reasons than the marketing guy who landed this flight told us so....he is driven to make that flight successful for Iceland air decision first.
His job is air service development as well as marketing. As in, he is the one who talks to airlines interested in KC. If you won’t believe the head of getting KC TATL himself then I don’t know what to tell you.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

beautyfromashes wrote:I want the new Icelandair route to be successful. That's why I looked up pricing for a trip there. It was an alternate destination to a trip to Mexico or west coast location. But, at that price, it's not a good product and it's not fair to demand support for an inferior product. I would have thought that Icelandair would have had a very competitive price to generate demand and attract customers not familiar with their product. I don't see how this is going to fly (sorry!).
ldai_phs wrote:Not sure where you are looking at. I looked at multiple dates in August/September and every time Icelandair to London was a few hundred cheaper than the other options. It appears that Icelandair is a consistent $200-300 cheaper than the others. Even 2 weeks from now Icelandair appears to be the cheapest option to London. It is important to not that I used selected dates that have the direct service to/from KCI
How to square these two posts?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

grovester wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:I want the new Icelandair route to be successful. That's why I looked up pricing for a trip there. It was an alternate destination to a trip to Mexico or west coast location. But, at that price, it's not a good product and it's not fair to demand support for an inferior product. I would have thought that Icelandair would have had a very competitive price to generate demand and attract customers not familiar with their product. I don't see how this is going to fly (sorry!).
ldai_phs wrote:Not sure where you are looking at. I looked at multiple dates in August/September and every time Icelandair to London was a few hundred cheaper than the other options. It appears that Icelandair is a consistent $200-300 cheaper than the others. Even 2 weeks from now Icelandair appears to be the cheapest option to London. It is important to not that I used selected dates that have the direct service to/from KCI
How to square these two posts?
By looking on google flights. Again note that I searched dates that the direct flight operates. Maybe the other poster didn’t and that’s why the prices on Iceland where more expensive.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

So on off days it was quoting a connection to another US hub? Not apples to apples then. Thanks.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

grovester wrote:So on off days it was quoting a connection to another US hub? Not apples to apples then. Thanks.
Yes. On off days it routes you on Alaskan to Seattle. That is why the other poster found such expensive prices I believe.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

https://www.icelandair.com/flights/special-offer/
Looked on the Icelandair website and saw the Kansas City “special” fare of $879 at the bottom of the page then looked for specific flight days to confirm. I did not look at flights to London, just to Iceland directly. I don’t understand why a longer flight from SF would be half the price on special, $400.
Last edited by beautyfromashes on Thu May 31, 2018 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote:https://www.icelandair.com/flights/special-offer/
Looked on the Icelandair website and saw the Kansas City “special” fare of $879 at the bottom of the page then looked for specific flight days to confirm. I did not look at flights to London, just to Iceland directly. I don’t understand why a longer flight from SF would be half the price on special.
That’s strange. Especially when I saw Icelandair London roudtrips for $600 something for later this summer. I’ll ask them about this.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

ldai_phs wrote: That’s strange. Especially when I saw Icelandair London roudtrips for $600 something for later this summer. I’ll ask them about this.
Might just be a mistake by their marketing/pricing department. If you know or have sway with them, might mention it as an issue. I thought you might be able to get a $350-$400 RT NS and would be a nice alternative to other destinations I was looking at. Lost me with that price. I’ve heard Iceland is beautiful.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote:
ldai_phs wrote: That’s strange. Especially when I saw Icelandair London roudtrips for $600 something for later this summer. I’ll ask them about this.
Might just be a mistake by their marketing/pricing department. If you know or have sway with them, might mention it as an issue. I thought you might be able to get a $350-$400 RT NS and would be a nice alternative to other destinations I was looking at. Lost me with that price. I’ve heard Iceland is beautiful.
Could be a typo or computer error or such. I know the airport in Iceland only referred to Kansas City as “Kansas” in all of the signs and displays and stuff at first.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

^ if so, not a great rollout problem. Of course, it’d be a NS so at least my bag would arrive correctly...hopefully. Hope it’s fixed. I’ll look again in a few weeks when making up my mind in destinations.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ldai_phs wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
ldai_phs wrote: My point is that bigger airlines ARE looking at how well our Icelandair flight is doing.
His job is air service development as well as marketing. As in, he is the one who talks to airlines interested in KC. If you won’t believe the head of getting KC TATL himself then I don’t know what to tell you.
I do believe him but he has multiple reasons for people to fly this first flight....do we really think airlines are just dumb and think "oh well kci people don't like direct flights to Europe because one Iceland air flight isnt sold out, go ahead and write off that market"? I mean come on....I'm looking for knowledge as to why he says this vs. just taking his "we gotta support this or else KC"....there is something deeper than just support it or else....

That's like the plaza having a new taco Bell as a tenant and then capital grille walking by one day and saying "welp that new business isn't full, forget this neighborhood"

Understand what I'm asking?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCPowercat wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
I do believe him but he has multiple reasons for people to fly this first flight....do we really think airlines are just dumb and think "oh well kci people don't like direct flights to Europe because one Iceland air flight isnt sold out, go ahead and write off that market"? I mean come on....I'm looking for knowledge as to why he says this vs. just taking his "we gotta support this or else KC"....there is something deeper than just support it or else....

That's like the plaza having a new taco Bell as a tenant and then capital grille walking by one day and saying "welp that new business isn't full, forget this neighborhood"

Understand what I'm asking?
Yea. But I don't think I can say more publicly than I already have. In other news, I have been told that STL's WOW flight has been doing very well and there will be a big STL TATL announcement in late summer from another carrier