Tom Colicchio-involved "Food Hall" to Mission Mall site?

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Tom Colicchio-involved "Food Hall" to Mission Mall site?

Post by chrizow »

https://www.foodandwine.com/news/tom-co ... oodandwine

Tom Colicchio already has an empire to his name, with six restaurants around the country. But soon, the chef and Top Chef judge will add another major piece of real estate to his culinary kingdom—an entire food hall. Colicchio's Crafted Hospitality is collaborating with real estate developers GFI and Cameron Group on the project which is being built at the Gateway development which takes over a former shopping mall in the City of Mission in southwest Kansas City, Missouri.

The 40,000 square foot venue will be "curated and inspired by" Colicchio and will feature food from "nationally acclaimed chefs and restaurateurs, coupled with local artisanal purveyors to offer the finest in freshly prepared foods, experiential dining, shopping and entertainment," according to a statement. "The development will expand upon the traditional food hall concept and be Kansas City’s first modern social venue that incorporates food and drink with social recreation gaming and events."

Colicchio said the food hall aims to be “a lifestyle entertainment destination anchored in chef-driven, culinary experiences with a focus on exceptional but accessible food. We will engage the local community by combining stand-alone restaurants and smaller counters curated by national and local chefs, to encourage social interaction.” Part of that social interaction will be game areas and tables for ping pong, billiards, shuffleboard, and bocce. So far there are no concrete details on the actual food and vendors involved or an opening date.

In addition to the food hall and games, the Gateway development will also house a concert venue, art installations, and feature both indoor and outdoor spaces for dining and events.

Food halls are a booming venture across the country at the moment. Food & Wine senior editor David Landsel has been covering their rather sudden prevalence in places like Tampa and Philadelphia, with some even developing into chains. With so much saturation, chef-backed food halls may be a good PR move, as with José Andrés' Hudson Yards venture. But celebrity-backed ventures have seen some pitfalls, as Anthony Bourdain's multi-cultural food market project was canceled late last year.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tom Colicchio-involved "Food Hall" to Mission Mall site?

Post by mean »

Are any of these TV celeb chef suburban satellite spots ever good? Mestizo didn't last very long iirc. I may just be overly cynical, but it does seem a bit like these coastal celebs sometimes think they can get away with mediocrity in flyover country because we're plebs.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

I share that concern about the execution of celeb chef concepts across the country, but I do have some faith in Colicchio himself. Per the article, his restaurant group is directly involved, he isn't just licensing his name (or so it appears). His restaurants in other parts of the country are well-executed and, just from his personality and stature (far exceeding the Mestizo guy, whose name I can't remember) I would think he would give the KC operation a legitimate go. That said, the OTHER celeb-chef concepts in this food hall, should it come to fruition, may suffer from that. I think it is probably less about assuming KC will tolerate mediocrity b/c we're plebs, and moreso that the resto business is really hard and expansions are very risky.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

!?

Is this as out-of-the-blue to everyone else? I haven't heard any local dev news on the Gateway in who knows how long, and Food & Wine breaks the story?

This seems very encouraging to me, maybe the most sensible of all the attempted "wow" concepts pitched here in 10 years.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

The KC Star reported a couple months ago that there was some vague progress being made, and referenced an "entertainment" tenant. But yeah, this is definitely unexpected and from an unexpected source.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

Shawnee Mission Post story, guess there was a Cameron press release today
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Mestizo was Aaron Sanchez from Chopped et al, and as far as I know he actually owned it and showed up there occasionally.

Fair enough that the resto business is hard, I'd sure as hell not try it.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

interestingly, that rendering shows the food hall and the "entertainment" space is next to it. I was thinking the food hall was the entertainment tenant (what with the games and whatnot).
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I took it to mean that the entertainment space was a live music venue east of the food hall
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

How have we not hit some kind of restaurant bubble? There are so many new restaurants popping up, i'm having trouble keeping up.

I am kind of cynical of these concepts popping up in the Suburbs because I just don't see the density to support them, these things work in Europe because people can walk to them. I guess these can be the new gathering spots for each Suburb and if they build plenty of parking people will come.
I don't know how the Lenexa Public Market is doing but basically Lenexa just took its downtown and city hall and moved it to this new location.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

If this is a unique highish-end food and wine venue that includes an entertainment element, I predict it will do very well. For the Mission Hills crowd, McGonigle's, Better Cheddar, and a few other places are spread out and on autopilot for decades. Plaza restaurants won't be hard to pull people away from.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

I think folks are underestimating that people all over the metro, including the city, will drive to go to this place (assuming it's worthwhile and strikes a chord). It's not an amenity just for people who live in Mission or the KS burbs. similarly, many places in the city (esp. higher-end restaurants, bars, etc.) would not survive if not for folks from the burbs driving in to enjoy them.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chrizow wrote:I think folks are underestimating that people all over the metro, including the city, will drive to go to this place (assuming it's worthwhile and strikes a chord). It's not an amenity just for people who live in Mission or the KS burbs. similarly, many places in the city (esp. higher-end restaurants, bars, etc.) would not survive if not for folks from the burbs driving in to enjoy them.
Walkable vs not for a restaurant all depends on the size. A 100 seat restaurant needs several hundred guest on a Saturday to stay in business. A neighborhood of 500 homes that means you need all of them to come every week. You can see the neighborhood model already in use. It's basically a Seven Eleven without gas and with seating inside. I've seen this in the really small towns between KC and Omaha where you'll find a handful of old guys sitting inside the gas station.

This food hall will draw from 4-5 miles around it.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i think the food hall will draw people from a much larger radius than that. i would surmise that a large % of the guests at most of the finer restos in KC are largely comprised of people who drove anywhere from 5-20 miles away (esp. JoCo). your typical 25-35 crowd outside at Char Bar on a nice day without question includes people from downtown-to-waldo but also plenty of folks from the deep burbs.

similarly, i think you'll see downtown-to-waldo folks drive 5-15 min to the food hall to dine and engage in the games, not to mention people from deep JoCo, etc.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

chrizow wrote: deep JoCo
is an oxymoron.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Nice score even if it doesn't last. Much better than the Walmart Supercenter originally planned. BTW, seems Johnson Dr is ready for Bikeshare, about as good as it gets in JoCo. Gateway also has 401 bus line between Plaza/Metcalf, though only rush hours.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Sounds kind of ambitious for the site and the demos. I’d probably at least check it out. Will it be like that awful Eat-a-ly place in Chicago, a place I feel pretty much sums up what half of Chicago has become.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Revolution? What Retail would you like to see?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

mgsports wrote:Revolution? What Retail would you like to see?
RD4LFTW
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

WSPanic wrote:
mgsports wrote:Revolution? What Retail would you like to see?
RD4LFTW
Is that the new Hypermart ran by Shopko and Sun Fresh? mgsports should love that.