Whole Foods mixed-use project @ 51/Oak

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Whole Foods mixed-use project @ 51/Oak

Post by DaveKCMO »

russian bots?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

update from http://www.metrowiremedia.com/
The new 45,000-square foot Whole Foods Market near the UMKC campus is on schedule for completion by the end of October, according to general contractor Luke Draily Construction.

Designed by Atlanta-based Greenberg Farrow, the urban style market is part of a three-acre project south of East 51st Street between Brookside Boulevard and Oak Street.

The market will be topped by five stories of luxury apartments, a six-story parking garage, and a UMKC Counseling, Health and Testing Center.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Surprising but welcome news. Any idea when the store will open?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Taken Oct. 19, 2017.

kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Still a long ways away.
Brodees
Ambassador

Post by Brodees »

FWIW, an employee at the 91st & Metcalf location said that they're scheduled to move in April.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

current status from 51st and brookside:

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I was so excited about this project when it first came out but I've been so unimpressed with Whole Foods over the last few years I wish it was something else now. I've been a huge fan of Sprouts over the last couple months, would love to see Sprouts come into the Midtown area, its slowly becoming our go to grocery store but have to trek all the way to the one by the airport .
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Agreed. I'm not sure why there isn't a Sprouts somewhere in DT-Plaza area.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The old Apple Market space in the Uptown Shoppes would be a perfect spot for a Sprouts...
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Hy-Vee is one big missing name in the urban core and they're doing smaller stores too. I could see them fit into midtown well.

One thing they do very well is hiring. They have tons of staff compared to many grocery stores.
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

After what feels like forever, Whole Foods opens May 23rd.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

I don't know if this will go over too good. Their prices are way too high.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

There's not much competition in the area, and Sun Fresh, Cosentino's and Price Chopper (Brookside) all have higher prices than stores in other parts of town; not to mention their prices have come down considerably since being bought by Amazon. The grab and go section will do great with students and there's plenty of disposable income in Brookside, Plaza, Ward Pkwy, etc. I'm not too worried.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Darlene wrote:I don't know if this will go over too good. Their prices are way too high.
Remember, they closed their store in Overland Park so they clearly think they can be more successful in midtown
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

flyingember wrote:
Darlene wrote:I don't know if this will go over too good. Their prices are way too high.
Remember, they closed their store in Overland Park so they clearly think they can be more successful in midtown
Whole Foods, Trader Joe's and the rest of them don't like Kansas anyways because Kansas won't allow them to sell full strength alcohol or liquor. The last attempt to allow that to happen mostly failed because Kroger ran the campaign so people saw it as corporate greed.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I have a feeling Whole Foods is going away from full service grocer and seem to be focusing more on grab and go items. It wasn't really the prices that bothered me its just coming up with meals with what they are selling. I had to spend 100 bucks there to get like a 20 dollar statement credit from my credit card a few months ago and I was really struggling to just spend a 100 bucks and trying to make meals work for the week.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
I have a feeling Whole Foods is going away from full service grocer and seem to be focusing more on grab and go items. It wasn't really the prices that bothered me its just coming up with meals with what they are selling. I had to spend 100 bucks there to get like a 20 dollar statement credit from my credit card a few months ago and I was really struggling to just spend a 100 bucks and trying to make meals work for the week.
that is really interesting - we find that we cannot do complete grocery shopping anywhere else. WF has, by far, the best produce and staples in KC in our opinion, great meat and seafood and bakery too. they also tend to be the most likely place to find obscure ingredients for a recipe. we cook from scratch almost every day and Whole Foods (supplemented with the BKS Farmers Market) is how we do most of our grocery shopping.

by contrast, trader joe's seems to focus more on frozen food and quirky snacks. we could never (and have never) done a full week of grocery shopping there. a couple times a year we stop at sprouts if we're nearby and those places are just awful in my opinion. price chopper, hy-vee, hen house, et al. are just kind of a non-starter for us.

we tend to go to the OP whole foods with the occasional trip to Cosentino's BKS Market after work to pick up items on an as-needed basis. We love that BKS Market is 3 blocks from our house but they basically charge Whole Foods prices (or more) for non-organic, which is kind of an outrage. I think Cosentino's is going to struggle a lot when Whole Foods opens.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I love sprouts. I love the deals and coupons they do. We do most our shopping at Costco. I just never liked Whole Foods meat selection. All of it just seems pre packaged and shipped in from elsewhere. I don't think they have butchers in the stores but I could be wrong