Status and future of the River Market area??

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Status and future of the River Market area??

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Darlene wrote:I know people always say that but in reality people have to drive. This is not New York city. Do you not have a car? It would not be easy to live here without one.
If it was harder to park in this city I would actually want to use public transportation and walk but the fact is this city is super easy to park in expect for maybe like a handful of blocks (If that block is hard to park you can just drive a block or 2 down and it will be open). I wish US planners actually planned around people and not cars. In Europe they seem to plan around the people and it has worked wonders in my opinion. The Europeans eat some pretty unhealthy stuff but you know what most are thin and I think it has to do with a lot of them being able to have access to walking everywhere.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

If you want all of your shopping and residential options to have parking right out front there are plenty of places to live in the city. Many many much many more than there are urban options.

Downtown enthusiasts are trying to create a space where cars are not the primary, or even secondary, design consideration.

If you want a car and easy parking, maybe downtown isn't the place for you. There isn't anything wrong with that.
Darlene
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Darlene »

I do like all the old buildings. I get scared when I have to look for street parking so I prefer parking lots.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Darlene wrote:I do like all the old buildings. I get scared when I have to look for street parking so I prefer parking lots.
Yeah, I like the parking lots too! BTW, my dogs name is Darlene. What a coincidence!
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Parking your dog on the street can be scary and dangerous.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

New ice cream shop on a prime spot of Delaware in the River Market. Feels like a less-than-ideal use of that space. I like ice cream and all, but that place should be something that brings in traffic all year round. I guess the slowly-maybe-being-refurbished streetcar in that corner won't be the ice cream shop after all.

I haven't been to Betty Rae's so I don't know much about it, but the article makes it sound like it's a good desert option. I just was wishing for something more for that location after the new developer/owner ran out long-time tenants.

https://cityscenekc.com/sweet-scoop-bet ... er-market/
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

It has a good reputation in Waldo, doesn't it? I hear you about it being seasonal, but I hope they have the experience to make it work.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

WoodDraw wrote:It has a good reputation in Waldo, doesn't it? I hear you about it being seasonal, but I hope they have the experience to make it work.
Often has a line out the door in Waldo, so I think it should do just fine in RM. Looking forward to having an actual ice cream place downtown.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

Speaking of prime locations that aren't being well utilized in the neighborhood, has anyone heard if the former Winslows BBQ space in the City Market is going to be leased? THAT would have been a better spot for an ice cream shop in my opinion.

On another River Market related note: I saw a notice on Facebook that River Market West II was to begin yesterday. Nothing happened yesterday, but I imagine they'll begin soon.
https://www.facebook.com/16706738198312 ... =3&theater
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

smh wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:It has a good reputation in Waldo, doesn't it? I hear you about it being seasonal, but I hope they have the experience to make it work.
Often has a line out the door in Waldo, so I think it should do just fine in RM. Looking forward to having an actual ice cream place downtown.
I live nearby the one in Waldo, yes, lines frequently out the door and down the sidewalk. It should be a great addition to the neighborhood.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

KCtonic wrote:Speaking of prime locations that aren't being well utilized in the neighborhood, has anyone heard if the former Winslows BBQ space in the City Market is going to be leased? THAT would have been a better spot for an ice cream shop in my opinion.

On another River Market related note: I saw a notice on Facebook that River Market West II was to begin yesterday. Nothing happened yesterday, but I imagine they'll begin soon.
Interesting. Well my office overlooks this site. Currently two trucks parked on the property but nothing beyond that.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCtonic wrote:Speaking of prime locations that aren't being well utilized in the neighborhood, has anyone heard if the former Winslows BBQ space in the City Market is going to be leased? THAT would have been a better spot for an ice cream shop in my opinion.

Last rumor I heard was that the Bite was moving into the old Winslows spot.

Others might know more.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Interesting. Thought Anton was going to put a burger place in that space.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

KCPowercat wrote:Interesting. Thought Anton was going to put a burger place in that space.
Lots of big plans when the prior occupants lease was jacked up. This is what Slawson said last September. Anton was definitely interested, but I'm betting he didn't like the lease terms being offered.

“We offered them a renewal lease, with a bump up of course, and they rejected it,” Slawson said. “In the meantime, we’ve slotted somebody else into that space.

“We can’t announce the name yet, but it’s a local that does craft and organic and sustainable dishes, a bistro and probably a wine cellar.”
Quotes from this article: https://cityscenekc.com/cafe-al-dente-c ... er-market/

So "plans for a bistro/wine cellar, then updated plans for upscale hamburgers by Anton, is now ice cream. I like ice cream and will definitely go there. Just was wishing for something I would want to hang out at more than a couple times a year.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Maybe they can get Anton into the Winslow's space...
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Hasn't Anton been supposed for two or three spots? IIRC he was going in where il Lazzarone is now prior to them.
KCtonic
New York Life
New York Life

Post by KCtonic »

smh wrote:Hasn't Anton been supposed for two or three spots? IIRC he was going in where il Lazzarone is now prior to them.
yes. I think he's looked at several places along Delaware over the years.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Not to mention the old Nichols diner.
alejandro46
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by alejandro46 »

Glad to hear Second and Delaware is supposedly back on track (just 6 years behind schedule or so. Lawsuits suck)

https://cityscenekc.com/innovative-seco ... is-summer/
Last edited by alejandro46 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

This is great news. I was worried this might not ever get going again.