OFFICIAL - Main Street Streetcar Extension

Transportation topics in KC
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Phase 2 streetcar to UMKC

Post by cityscape »

hartliss wrote:
She also claims that the KCATA built the fence and that it has been around since 1989.
So she basically conceded that the property was theirs? Wow, she is a terrible attorney.

Not to mention that fence looks fairly new in the pictures and I'm pretty sure the KCATA didn't put up the private property sign. This sort of stuff really grinds my gears....
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

cityscape wrote:
hartliss wrote:
She also claims that the KCATA built the fence and that it has been around since 1989.
So she basically conceded that the property was theirs? Wow, she is a terrible attorney.

Not to mention that fence looks fairly new in the pictures and I'm pretty sure the KCATA didn't put up the private property sign. This sort of stuff really grinds my gears....
She says it was rebuilt in 2016 (by her)
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Get your ballot application in by 5pm April 3! http://kcur.org/post/eligible-voters-ti ... t#stream/0

Easy form at http://connectkc.org!
grecobs
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by grecobs »

Deadline has passed...how long until the results are in?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

June
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:June
Sometime June 13-18 at the soonest seems safe

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18833&start=1600#p574734
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Here are yesterday's presentations.

http://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uploa ... Boards.pdf

So based on this, is it safe to assume only mixed use traffic is being considered south of 31st?

I question the need for a 43rd and 45th stop.

For those who couldn't go, what's the best way to provide feedback? Any examples of how center running mixed us traffic works with left turn lanes? Seems like that would have a lot of left turners fouling the tracks.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I'd think 31st would have more activity than 43rd. I'm surprised that it doesn't show on the presentation with Martini Corner being right up the street. Would be a blow for that area.

Also, will the Max bus finally be eliminated? I understand it was kept because the streetcar wasn't really long enough to connect to major commenter points like 39th, etc. With streetcar extended, it would seem redundant. It would require a change at 51st for those coming from Waldo, but not unrealistic for the length of that commute.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

KCPowercat wrote:Here are yesterday's presentations.
I question the need for a 43rd and 45th stop.
I agree it seems like overkill... Three stops in a half mile (43rd/45th/Emanuel Cleaver II Blvd) is the same density of stops as inside the loop.

My first thought was if the presence of the 45th street stop is an indication that American Century responded to the public-private RFP that KCStreetcar put out.

KCDowntown
swid
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by swid »

Go to page 7 of the slides - 31st is by far the highest-scoring intersection that doesn't have a stop proposed. (Also, 43rd and 45th are the lowest-scoring intersections with proposed stops.)

A sizable number of the sticky notes for comments were about not having a stop at 31st. While I get that having stops at both 31st and Linwood may be a little excessive, I'd think that moving the Linwood stop north a block or so would be a decent compromise.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

With 31st ranked nearly as high as Linwood, is it unfeasible to locate the Linwood stop a block north to make it more equidistant for transfers to buses on both 31st and Linwood?

Regarding the 45th St stop, there is huge development potential on the empty lot south of QT and the need to access KCAI and the museums.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

beautyfromashes wrote:I'd think 31st would have more activity than 43rd. I'm surprised that it doesn't show on the presentation with Martini Corner being right up the street. Would be a blow for that area.
Totally agreed. I'm very disappointed in the proposed stops in the north section. 27th to Linwood is quite a haul on a long hill, there really should be one more stop in-between. This plan practically shuts out Union Hill and all the new residential development in that area.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Why can't we just leave the stops like the Max stops are now? There is going to be a lot more development along the line including a large increase in residents in more dense buildings. Better to have too much capacity and let the development catch up to it.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I like 27th
Crown Center, Liberty Memorial, Fed, new residential all at one stop

Linwood vs 31st
Would it be better to have a bus route on 31st or Linwood for the next 40 years? If the train opening is a great time to move the bus to Linwood it should be at Linwood, otherwise it should be at 31st.

Armour and 39th make sense

For 43rd and 45th
43rd has direct access to St. Lukes
45th has direct access to American Century and KCAI and the shortest path to the Nelson Bloch entrance. 6 blocks, 8 via 43rd/Rockhill, 8 via Cleaver
I find it really hard to be against either one as a stop.

Clever and 51st both make sense

--------------
I like Pershing to 30th dedicated lanes with either plan. neither would be bad choices

If 30th to Cleaver can't be dedicated, go for center running. You have less parking impacts on stop placement

I like using the trolley track row, but to 51st it feels like center running is simpler for people. Neither would be bad
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Or just split the difference and put it at 32nd. 500 feet to 31st and linwood.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

KCPowercat wrote:Or just split the difference and put it at 32nd. 500 feet to 31st and linwood.
Good point on the distances. If center running, you could have a stop that spans half a block of distance and people would pick an end and get close to either street
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

flyingember wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Or just split the difference and put it at 32nd. 500 feet to 31st and linwood.
Good point on the distances. If center running, you could have a stop that spans half a block of distance and people would pick an end and get close to either street
Put the stop in front of the car dealership just for the sake of irony.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

To provide feedback, email info@kcstreetcar.org.

I personally lobbied for 31st over Linwood, but hey you can't win 'em all.

Center running, on the other hand, we will win. You don't want streetcar caught in the future war for curb space (autonomous vehicles, Uber, bike lanes, parking, loading, what else?!?). You also want it to be reliable. We're reliable downtown but it takes a lot of work and you still can't prevent most blockages, no matter the length.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Center running mixed traffic only option?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCPowercat wrote:Center running mixed traffic only option?
For the middle section, yes. The north and south sections have exclusive ROW -- north for curb or center, south for center or CCROW.

CCROW should be preferred for the south section because it will be cheaper to construct and that's what the CCROW is for.