Independence Ave MAX

Transportation topics in KC
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Independence Ave MAX

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCATA's 2017 budget includes money to study upgrading the #24 to MAX on Independence Avenue.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Independence Ave MAX

Post by JBmidtown »

Not a bad idea to have BRT as a placeholder on these routes until the time when expanded the streetcar this way makes sense. We need as much visible, rapid transit as possible even if it's not all fixed rail (at the moment).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I'm ambivalent. I like the MAX service, and it's about the only ATA service I use, if I can help it, mostly because of frequency and stop comfort. But is there a point when the ATA's resources would be better used upgrading TroostMAX to BRT than continuing to build out new MAX lines? Is Independence the next highest ridership corridor after Prospect?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chingon wrote:I'm ambivalent. I like the MAX service, and it's about the only ATA service I use, if I can help it, mostly because of frequency and stop comfort. But is there a point when the ATA's resources would be better used upgrading TroostMAX to BRT than continuing to build out new MAX lines? Is Independence the next highest ridership corridor after Prospect?
Firstly, you have to get political changes. The ATA calls MAX a BRT line. They're not going to upgrade to something they think is already implemented
http://www.kcata.org/transit-initiative ... id_transit

Secondly, the next thing that needs to be done is to start combining routes together and have less of them overall.

We shouldn't end up with six MAX lines on Main, Troost, Prospect, Indep Ave, State Ave, N. Oak. We should have 3-4 total lines.

Take these three current and future MAX lines
1. Main
2. Indep Ave
3. N. Oak
There will be a point where people can transfer between the three lines.
Imagine you have a bus every 15 minutes on each corridor. This means 12 busses should go to this transfer point.

What if we redo this into three lines like this, where if you get on at 39th and Main you have two options alternating in service from any source
1. Main and N. Oak
2. Main and Indep Ave
3. N. Oak and Indep Ave

You still end up with the same four busses per hour on all three cooridors but all riders can get on the next bus and half of destinations require a transfer or some people can wait 15 minutes and no one has to transfer. Versus today where everyone transfers.

Look at this same thing citywide and you'll see many places with unnecessary transfers. Why can't 37x and 51x be one line? Why can't 39 and 107 be one line? Why can't 12 and 35 form one big U shape? Similarly, Troost and State Ave would be a great combined line to connect KCK to Hospital Hill
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I pretty much disagree with all of that.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chingon wrote:I pretty much disagree with all of that.
why? (serious question)
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

I don't like that plan because it would require people to actually pay attention to which MAX bus they got on. I think it would increase confusion and decrease rider satisfaction. It seems trivial, but it could be a big difference in ridership. People should be able to get on a MAX bus at a stop and know where they are going, with minimal brainpower involved. I may be more lazy that most transit riders, but I seriously doubt it.

When I visit other cities, getting on the wrong train/bus line that shares a station with the right line is actually my biggest fear when riding transit. Maybe thats just me though.

However, I would be in favor of routes that go through, not just to, downtown. Main and N. Oak in one line, maybe Independence and I-70 to KCK in one line as well
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Can we have a max line that combines north oak and main, and just goes straight to the airport?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

flyingember wrote:
chingon wrote:I pretty much disagree with all of that.
why? (serious question)

I basically think there should be a grid of routes that are as straight as possible, frequent as we can afford, and as long as realistic. I don't like split service routes, L shaped routes, U shaped routes, etc. The routes should be named after the primary street they run on.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Riverite wrote:Can we have a max line that combines north oak and main, and just goes straight to the airport?
you mean exactly like a previous light rail plan? no! lol.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

DaveKCMO wrote:
Riverite wrote:Can we have a max line that combines north oak and main, and just goes straight to the airport?
What about a rapid service bus from the airport to downtown with only those two stops. See if the hotels will pony up cash. I don't know about everyone else but easy transit from airport to downtown always makes me more likely to visit the city. Especially as someone under twenty five. If the burbs don't want to pony up cash to have decent transit let's just sidestep them and get all of the visitors to hang out downtown
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

airport transit improvements are in the works.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

DaveKCMO wrote:airport transit improvements are in the works.
Go on...
northlandnate
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by northlandnate »

DaveKCMO wrote:
it makes a lot of sense to me, actually. I don't see why not.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Feasibility study has kicked off.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Which downtown and Independence MO routing do you prefer?

WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Is there anyway we can get these released in google maps? I'm not giving RideKC shit because every transit agency does this. Maps from some consultant that look like were taken with a 1960s spy satellite.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

WoodDraw wrote:Is there anyway we can get these released in google maps? I'm not giving RideKC shit because every transit agency does this. Maps from some consultant that look like were taken with a 1960s spy satellite.
So you want like a KMZ of the routes?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

I like 11th/12th for downtown. Can't speak to Independence