Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Troost developments

Post by FangKC »

chaglang wrote:The people concerned about development live in CHP and Janssen, so if retailers never return it doesn't change anything for them. They will continue to drive everywhere for basics. Their warped sense of urban aesthetics trumps economics.
People interested in opposing them should read this:

https://grist.org/article/san-francisco ... ent-fight/

All of this makes Wiener perhaps the most powerful voice in the YIMBY — yes, in my backyard! — movement. The YIMBYs are mostly millennials who, angered by the urban housing shortage, have begun demanding a building boom to put roofs over heads, get people out of cars, drive down rents, and stop sprawl.

But the idea that profit-driven builders could provide equitable, environmentally friendly housing sounds like a joke to much of San Francisco’s progressive establishment. The arguments against new, dense development are familiar: homeowners talk about the “character of their neighborhoods,” renters fear losing rent-controlled units. For decades, developers have been the bad guys. Now they’ve got some degree of public support on their side.

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Look for some site prep happening at Armour next month.
yeliab
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by yeliab »

Signage for a new African restaurant up next to Urban Cafe
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

yeliab wrote:Signage for a new African restaurant up next to Urban Cafe
Wonder which African cuisine?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

E. 40th and Troost

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

flyingember wrote:
Wonder which African cuisine?
Here is their website, which includes a menu:

https://www.fanniescuisine.com/

In other news, the Abnos owned Apollo Theater at 3229 Troost is currently up for sale for $415,000.

Current facade:

Historic photo:

Rendering:

I wonder how much, if any, of the original details are behind the current facade and if it could be restored or would need to be rebuilt. The rendering looks like new construction.

Listing:
http://www.loopnet.com/for-sale/?bb=wyv_i21hlKh_hu6C
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

The framing on Scholars Row has started going vertical. Stairwells (and elevator shafts?) are completed.

Progress on the Happy Apple Cafe spot just to the south. I believe all of the retail spots on this side of the block are owned by UC-B and are expected to be rehabbed:

And across the street at the former Troostwood garage, a couple retail spots are complete, with more under construction:

TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:I wonder how much, if any, of the original details are behind the current facade and if it could be restored or would need to be rebuilt. The rendering looks like new construction.
It's weird they wouldn't try to match the original design closer. Missed opportunity
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

TheLastGentleman wrote:
KCtoBrooklyn wrote:I wonder how much, if any, of the original details are behind the current facade and if it could be restored or would need to be rebuilt. The rendering looks like new construction.
It's weird they wouldn't try to match the original design closer. Missed opportunity
It's the Abnos family, so any renovation will have a lot of random pieces of scrap metal stuck on the facade and the project will never actually be completed.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

BikeWalkKC is moving into the Bakery Lofts this summer.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Good for Troost. It seems like they hadn't been in their current space that long. I guess it wasn't too long of a lease.

I haven't been in the space, so I'm not sure how well suited it would be for other uses (or if there would be possible permit issues), but I always thought that would be a great spot for a neighborhood bar/restaurant or retail.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Blip is likely opening there this summer and there are plans for a restaurant/bar of some kind IIRC.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I assume you are referring to Bakery Lofts for Blip? My post was unclear, but I was actually referring to BikeWalkKC's current office space as what I thought would make a nice neighborhood bar spot. I think there is potential for a nice little node in some of the underutilized commercial spaces ranging from BikeWalkKC to Sidestreet to the new cafe in the works on 34th.

Blip would be a nice addition to Bakery Lofts. The other tenant that has long been discussed for that building is a brewpub out of Colorado. Any idea if that could actually be happening?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Oh, I understand. I don't know what the plans are for the BikeWalk offices, but there are going to be several different businesses on the ground floor of the Bakery Loft. Blip looks like it will be one of those businesses. That, along with Ruby Jean's, provide a nice node at 30th and gives the 2 blocks from Linwood to 30th real potential. I've heard that same brewpub rumor but nothing definite yet. If/when it happens I will hear about it when they apply with Regulated Industries for the license.

Where at 34th is a cafe going in?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Across from Acadmie Lafayette. I did post about it a while back in this thread (looks like the image links have died):
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=18275&p=569548&hilit=34th#p569548

Work has been progressing slowly, but steadily on the building. They are saying Fall of 2018 opening.

The people involved in this seem to just be doing it as a side project and I don't believe they have any experience opening a similar business. For those reasons, I'm concerned there will be obstacles and they may have difficulty pulling it together. I do hope it happens and at least that building is getting renovated.

They have a Facebook page, but there haven't been any new posts for quite a while:

https://m.facebook.com/HydeParkCoffeeShop/
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I appreciate all of these Troost and North Hyde Park updates. Would love to see the little node along 33rd/Gillham (Sidestreet Bar etc.) over to the current Bike/Walk KC office shift to retail use and form a small neighborhood center.

RE: MAC development at Armour and Troost: as these buildings will be completely new construction (unless the existing grocery is saved), is there any chance we'll get something interesting architecturally?

Like any good urbanist, I am quite jealous of the Antheus/MAC developed, Studio Gang designed, One Hundred tower going up in CWE STL. It's a beautiful, signature structure, albeit located in a different universe economically (CWE vs. Troost). Same team will be developing these 4 lots concurrently. I know the program is very different, but the uses will be similar, and I would love to see some design ambition in the rebuilding of this very important intersection. Or frankly anywhere else in the city, rather than another mediocre semi-suburban turd.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

rxlexi wrote: RE: MAC development at Armour and Troost: as these buildings will be completely new construction (unless the existing grocery is saved), is there any chance we'll get something interesting architecturally?
All new construction.
rxlexi wrote:Like any good urbanist, I am quite jealous of the Antheus/MAC developed, Studio Gang designed, One Hundred tower going up in CWE STL. It's a beautiful, signature structure, albeit located in a different universe economically (CWE vs. Troost). Same team will be developing these 4 lots concurrently. I know the program is very different, but the uses will be similar, and I would love to see some design ambition in the rebuilding of this very important intersection. Or frankly anywhere else in the city, rather than another mediocre semi-suburban turd.
The project will be by different local architects (1 per building is my understanding), so it's going to depend on who gets which building. The Studio Gang design is great but as you mention, CWE is a high-dollar part of STL. Right now I'd say that the design preferences of Central Hyde Parkers will be a bigger obstacle to getting something ambitious than the budget or the imagination of the architects.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

chaglang wrote:Right now I'd say that the design preferences of Central Hyde Parkers will be a bigger obstacle to getting something ambitious than the budget or the imagination of the architects.
Yeah. I think there will be a contingent pushing for "old-timey" architecture. That usually doesn't turn out well without spending a premium on materials, which won't be feasible for this project.

Some plans have just shown up in the KCMO Development tracker, but no renderings. The plans were done by Helix, so it might be a good guess that they could be designing one of the buildings. All 4 buildings are proposed to be 10 floors.

Here are the details:

3438 Troost - 6,400 sq ft commercial, 80 units, 27 parking spaces
1108 E Armour - 5,800 sq ft commercial, 64 units, 24 parking spaces
3501 Troost - 5,200 sq ft commercial, 60 units, 19 parking spaces
3500 Troost - 10,500 sq ft commercial, 140 units, 44 parking spaces

and 520 E Armour (the lot across from the Newbern) - 8 floors, 110 units, 75 parking spaces.

Construction on the first bulding, 3500 Troost is proposed to begin on 10/20/18. The start of each subsequent new building will be staggered a couple months until 8/20/19 when 520 E Armour starts.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

When the mid-rise on the southwest corner was demolished I never imagined that it would be replaced and more.