P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: P&L District: 13th & Walnut Site Proposal

Post by earthling »

^Yeah, because KC BBQ varies so wildly most may not like a good chunk of it - I don't care for places that are mostly fatty meats or salty sauces, others seek it out. That's what makes KC a BBQ capital. Plenty of varieties to choose from, or not.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

chingon wrote:
Sure on your larger point about KCs style. But calling that style inherently “urban” is a bit of a Rhetorical Kansas City shuffle, when Grids point is he doesn’t like Joes because it’s in Kansas and it got real famous. I’m like Joes, not cause it’s in Kansas
Has nothing to do with it being in Kansas. If it were on the Country Club Plaza (it's basically in the plaza area), I would say the same thing. KC Masterpiece was on the plaza I never recommended that place to anybody.

Again, Joe's is fine. I don't think it's the best in KC, but it's good enough. it's just not what I think of when I think KC BBQ. I'm just the opposite of you. If I were taking out of towners out for KC bbq, Joe's wouldn't be where I would take them.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

"basically in the plaza area"??????

Dude, you've been away too long.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

grovester wrote:"basically in the plaza area"??????

Dude, you've been away too long.
I didn't say it was on the plaza. It's literally a 4-5 minute drive from the plaza though. Relative to the KC area, Joe's is very close the the plaza area.

I guess I'm old school KC and Joe's doesn't really do anything for me. Other people like it and that's fine.
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

BBQ and food in general is very subjective and can be debated to no end. Depends on your likes/dislikes. I think Joes's KC is probably the best tasting BBQ in KC and their french fries/baked beans are probably the best in the city. Arthur Bryants has great burnt ends, but their fries are probably the worse I've ever had. Q39 just doesn't appeal to me for some reason. I think it's their sauce, I just prefer Joes or Gates type of sauce, Q39 uses a more molasses type sauce. Their meat is fantastic, but I also think it's overpriced.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

KC_JAYHAWK wrote:I think Joes's KC is probably the best tasting BBQ in KC and their french fries/baked beans are probably the best in the city.
I’m sorry, you’re misinforned. Jack Stack has the best beans in town. It’s really the only reason to go there. I could swim in them.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

beautyfromashes wrote:
KC_JAYHAWK wrote:I think Joes's KC is probably the best tasting BBQ in KC and their french fries/baked beans are probably the best in the city.
I’m sorry, you’re misinforned. Jack Stack has the best beans in town. It’s really the only reason to go there. I could swim in them.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo wrote:Arguing about BBQ might be the dumbest thing around.
Thank you.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It's dumb, but it's fun.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

We need to move all the off topic bbq debates to a dedicated thread
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

DaveKCMO wrote:
shinatoo wrote:Arguing about BBQ might be the dumbest thing around.
Thank you.
Yep.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Was told today that the normal Zman would be coming but for now you could swap the chicken for brisket to get a traditional z if you wanted.

Also carryout is not available yet.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

KCPowercat wrote:Was told today that the normal Zman would be coming but for now you could swap the chicken for brisket to get a traditional z if you wanted.

Also carryout is not available yet.
Good to know about the brisket swap! Our work team is doing lunch there on Good Friday!
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

KaraokeClubRAG!

"Karaoke ‘experience’ opening in the Power & Light District" [former hotel space]

https://www.kansascity.com/news/busines ... 55830.html

also notes planned expansion for NOP. i assume this would be behind the bowling alley/back bar if it's new space that's going to have views both inside the district and of 14th street [there are some windows fronting walnut that are perenially empty/dark], but maybe they're repurposing space that's currently in use instead.

and off topic for this thread, but apparently discussions in the works on a tenant for the former kobe space...
snigglefritz
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by snigglefritz »

wahoowa wrote: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:38 pm and off topic for this thread, but apparently discussions in the works on a tenant for the former kobe space...
Any idea what kind of tenant?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

I ate at the County Road Ice House while I was in town last month. I was very surprised to see that it was dead on a Friday night at prime time. I would have thought anything associated with Joe's KC would be doing great business. That said, the food was great. Service not so much. Nobody could complain about anything we had (even though we were brought things we didn't order). It was just weird eating it in such a moribund atmosphere. Seems like Gordon Biersch was always busier than what we experienced. Not many excuses for the server on such a slow nigh, we were one of 3 or 4 tables in the place and he still managed to get one entree totally wrong and brought me fries instead of the beans I ordered for a side.

I'd go back because the food was good but wasn't crazy about the atmosphere or the service. It's a good place to have in the back pocket when you want really good bbq but don't care to wait an hour to get a table at Jack's Stack.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I've only been during dinner hours a couple times, and it's typically pretty dead. They crank it out during lunch though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I've never been for dinner only lunches weekday and weekends.

Not sure most would think of BBQ on a Friday night at p&l. Those going p&l may pop in ai guess but for those not going there I'd guess most are looking for something nicer if coming downtown downtown for a weekend dinner.

Really think they should put themselves on open table and gotten Joe's KC into the main name somehow.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:38 am I've never been for dinner only lunches weekday and weekends.

Not sure most would think of BBQ on a Friday night at p&l. Those going p&l may pop in ai guess but for those not going there I'd guess most are looking for something nicer if coming downtown downtown for a weekend dinner.

Really think they should put themselves on open table and gotten Joe's KC into the main name somehow.
Also does anyone in P&L ever market themselves after they open? I feel like places open and I never hear or see anything else about them. Perhaps I expect too much. :lol:
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I follow ice House on FB and they put stuff on there but yeah not much.