Oak Tower

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
wahoowa
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Oak Tower

Post by wahoowa » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:29 pm

good post TLG. always enjoy seeing what you find

TheLastGentleman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheLastGentleman » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:10 pm

wahoowa wrote:good post TLG. always enjoy seeing what you find
Thank you! Glad you liked it!

missingkc
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by missingkc » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:15 pm

This technology made me think of Oak Tower and what we all wish could happen to it.

https://tinyurl.com/y8vkay7m

TheLastGentleman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheLastGentleman » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:05 pm

missingkc wrote:This technology made me think of Oak Tower and what we all wish could happen to it.

https://tinyurl.com/y8vkay7m
Yeah, that would come in handy. Like I've said before, though, I really don't think much of the decoration is missing. They broke off the tallest spires, but I think that's about it.

shinatoo
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by shinatoo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:35 am

Looks like Wash U of STL. Like it. It should age well.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

TheLastGentleman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheLastGentleman » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:32 pm

Old business journal article I found from 1996. I offer this as evidence that they once planned to restore more than the first 3 floors.
Oak Tower, built 77 years ago at 324 E. 11th St. in Kansas City and saddled with high vacancies in recent years, is coming back to life as a high-tech home for telecommunications companies.

US ONE Communications Corp., a local phone service provider, has leased about 8,000 square feet on the building's 10th floor. Its commitment raises the 220,000-square-foot structure's occupancy to almost 80 percent, said Sean O'Byrne at Colliers Turley Martin Kerr & Co., leasing agent for Oak Tower.

Two other telecommunications companies already are housed in the building: Kansas City FiberNet and Brooks Fiber Properties. Another two phone companies also are looking at space, O'Byrne said.

Oak Tower was built for Southwestern Bell, which remained through the mid-1960s. Its floors are designed to support heavy telecommunications equipment, and its large vertical shafts can accommodate conduit that runs down to connect with fiber-optic lines embedded in the street.

The building's Gothic architecture, which was covered by aluminum sheeting and stucco in the 1970s, is being restored. Passers-by can follow the progress of leasing because yellow-framed checked glass windows are being replaced for new tenants.
https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... lumn2.html

TheLastGentleman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheLastGentleman » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:06 am

Cool pictures in the lobby. There are others but I didn't want to be too much of a bother.

Apparently this is the picture that inspired the owner to hunt down the entrance canopy, which had been thrown in a junk yard during the 70s remodel

FangKC
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by FangKC » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:20 am

I'm surprised the canopy wasn't cut into pieces and melted down as scrap metal. It's kind of hard to sell something that large and have it fit another building as a canopy. It's fortunate the original building got it back.

TheLastGentleman
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheLastGentleman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Finally found a picture clearly showing the yellow/white color scheme. It's from this set of pictures on the UMKC library site.

https://dl.mospace.umsystem.edu/umkc/is ... %3Abarrett

Very interesting stuff from the 70s and 80s. Lots of aerial shots.