Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Transportation topics in KC

How will you vote on Chastain's LRT proposal?

I will vote Yes!
56%
I will vote No!
26%
I don't vote!
5%
I don't live in KCMO
12%

Total votes: 148

normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Post by normalthings »

I doubt anyone in their right mind would vote for it or sign it if they know its Clay.

I do think it would be nice if there was some sort of announcement about the regional investment. That way people will know something bigger and better is actually coming.....
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

ldai_phs wrote:I doubt anyone in their right mind would vote for it or sign it if they know its Clay.

I do think it would be nice if there was some sort of announcement about the regional investment. That way people will know something bigger and better is actually coming.....
Waiting on the Chamber to focus their "transportation" initiative.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DaveKCMO wrote:
WoodDraw wrote:gondolas again lol
And they'll only carry four people each. WTF?
I mean I normally pretend to get the mail if I can't take the elevator by myself, so this sounds like hell.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

He’s had some weird plans and some that at least made a little sense

This one is just weird. The soccer village is normally dead, why end there? And gondolas across downtown? As a way to go up a hill there was thought there as it took people up a hill no one wants to walk up. But from Barney allis plaza? Why?

And taking the tax will just end with it thrown out. It’s the sign of a lazy plan.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

DaveKCMO wrote:
ldai_phs wrote:I doubt anyone in their right mind would vote for it or sign it if they know its Clay.

Waiting on the Chamber to focus their "transportation" initiative.
Is there any sort of target date/month for an announcement.
Additionally, is it looking like their plan will include regional rail?
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

The last time I say Clay gathering petitions he was asking people to 'sign a petition for better transportation' so lots of people signed without asking for details. I hope this one doesn't even get on the ballot.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

kcjak wrote:The last time I say Clay gathering petitions he was asking people to 'sign a petition for better transportation' so lots of people signed without asking for details. I hope this one doesn't even get on the ballot.
Keep an eye out to protest while he gathers. Defense!
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

"More of those %!#@ing gondolas! Sorry, but we need them like we need a hole in the head!"

https://youtu.be/DFWo1oqZTe4
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Has anyone run into people collecting signatures for the new proposal?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Streisand effect in play

Sue over something no one knows about and suddenly everyone knows he was deemed to be dangerous.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/politics ... 98849.html

Especially sad, did not know he called women who signed petitions. Creepy.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Well, we are talking about a city administration that once blocked residents they didn’t like or who criticized the city from accessing the @kcmo twitter account. And the city administration who gave a presentation that included a list of online “frenemies” - most of whom they had also blocked. So if there were a list like what Chastain describes it would not be a total shock.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

chaglang wrote:Well, we are talking about a city administration that once blocked residents they didn’t like or who criticized the city from accessing the @kcmo twitter account.
That was a fun sunshine request to put in.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

The last time I saw a Chastainian acolyte collecting signatures was 2014 in the foyer of Price Chopper/ Milgram's in Brookside (at B'kside Plaza and Meyer). My elderly father flew into full curmudgeon mode and interrogated him about Chastain's Virginia residence.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

He's back

There's clearly some resentment that he can't get his things to pass when he has routes starting at Union Station that doesn't expand the streetcar.

His numbers also make no sense yet again. Just the 13 miles of track (not following Main but starting at Union Station) at $100 million per mile is the whole budget right there. How does any of the rest happen?

My favorite part is about how it steals about half of the bus system funding as if it's just available to use. Who will drive these busses now that there's not enough money for wages? There's a reason that busses are replaced on a 15 year cycle.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/ar ... k=hpdigest
His latest proposal, which Chastain hopes to get on the November ballot, is projected to cost $1.3 billion in capital construction and be financed by extending the current 3/8-cent bus sales tax for 25 years and adding a new, 25-year, 1/4-cent capital improvement sales tax.

A key element of the latest plan is a "virtual rail" route between Union Station and Kansas City International Airport. The Chinese-engineered system, Chastain said, would use driverless buses that look like light-rail trains but operate on rubber tires in a dedicated highway lane.

The existing streetcar system downtown would remain in place but would not be expanded.
From Union Station, two "smart rail" trains would extend separately to the Truman Sports Complex and eventually to Lee's Summit, and to the Kansas City Zoo in Swope Park.

The Kansas City Area Transportation Authority's diesel-powered buses would be replaced with electric vehicles. A new fleet of driverless, 15-seat electric shuttle buses would bring people to and from light rail stops.

A two-mile aerial gondola system would link the downtown convention district with Penn Valley Park.

In steps that Chastain acknowledges are controversial, some roads would be closed. All roads and motor-vehicle traffic in Penn Valley Park would be removed.

Also, "blighted" Troost Avenue between Emmanuel Cleaver II and Meyer boulevards would be closed to vehicular traffic. Only rail, pedestrians and bicycles would be allowed.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Ya know, driverless busses sound like a really terrible idea. I've had a few times where passengers would have gotten into a fight if it wasn't for a driver calming things down.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

At the Price Chopper in Brookside when Clay shoved clipboard in my face on the way in. Avoided it like the plague, gave the death stare and kept walking. But, guy behind me actually says, “Go Fuck Yourself!”. Very un-Kansas City like so I was a little shocked, but then a proud smile lit my face. Maybe, we’re making some progress. Also, I’m sure the guy was on this board, so fess up.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mykn wrote:Ya know, driverless busses sound like a really terrible idea. I've had a few times where passengers would have gotten into a fight if it wasn't for a driver calming things down.
Driverless implies automation of movement.
There's plenty of driveless transit systems. Two examples are in Vancouver and the Airtrain to JFK. Apparently parts of the Paris Metro are going driverless.

It doesn't imply there's no one on board to keep the peace. Right now the bus driver can't walk up to these individuals while driving. A person doing fare validation after departing, keeping the peace and taking action in an emergency could be on board said hypothetical vehicles.
mykn

Post by mykn »

flyingember wrote:
mykn wrote:Ya know, driverless busses sound like a really terrible idea. I've had a few times where passengers would have gotten into a fight if it wasn't for a driver calming things down.
Driverless implies automation of movement.
There's plenty of driveless transit systems. Two examples are in Vancouver and the Airtrain to JFK. Apparently parts of the Paris Metro are going driverless.

It doesn't imply there's no one on board to keep the peace. Right now the bus driver can't walk up to these individuals while driving. A person doing fare validation after departing, keeping the peace and taking action in an emergency could be on board said hypothetical vehicles.

You make a great point.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCATA is already replacing diesel with battery electric buses. They arrive in 2019.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Did a search, looks like one battery bus model can get 45 miles with just a 10 minute charge. Other searches show 120+ miles on a full charge. Sounds like it's ready for prime time.