Oak Park Mall - Nordstrom Leaving

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Oak Park Mall - Nordstrom Leaving

Post by horizons82 »

Since there's talk about OPM overtaking threads elsewhere, thought it'd be worth creating a thread for discussion for what's going to happen at the mall

Per the biz journal, entertainment and other non retail options are being looked at: https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... plaza.html

With so many vacant and underutilized storefronts elsewhere in the mall, I'm not certain that Nordstrom is where a new entertainment option would land. I would think the nasty Dillard's men store would be ripe for demolition, with that moving over to Nordstrom's old space. Perhaps Dillard's consolidates both women's & men's and takes over almost all of the 1998 wing?

Hopefully CBL and the city take this as an opportunity to make the mall property a sustainable neighborhood like Lenexa's city center, converting their surface parking into residential & office.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Re: Oak Park Mall - Nordstrom Leaving

Post by mistervinix »

I wonder when the fourth floor of the men's store was walled off? I remember when they sold electronics up there. Kind of weird that they now have escalators to nowhere. I can't read the Biz Journal article but I could see someone like Alamo Drafthouse repurpose some of the space. Their theater in Springfield, Missouri is very nice.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

mistervinix wrote:I wonder when the fourth floor of the men's store was walled off? I remember when they sold electronics up there. Kind of weird that they now have escalators to nowhere. I can't read the Biz Journal article but I could see someone like Alamo Drafthouse repurpose some of the space. Their theater in Springfield, Missouri is very nice.
aren't there enough movie screens in JOCO?
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

mistervinix wrote:I wonder when the fourth floor of the men's store was walled off? I remember when they sold electronics up there. Kind of weird that they now have escalators to nowhere. I can't read the Biz Journal article but I could see someone like Alamo Drafthouse repurpose some of the space. Their theater in Springfield, Missouri is very nice.
I was told it was right before the womens store was expanded. The fourth floor is the only part of the store that was updated to look like a Dillard's and the escalators are sitting behind drywall.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

empires228 wrote:
I was told it was right before the womens store was expanded. The fourth floor is the only part of the store that was updated to look like a Dillard's and the escalators are sitting behind drywall.
That seems off, the women's store was expanded in the early 90s I believe, the 4th floor was still open in the early 00's.
nomadcowatbk wrote: aren't there enough movie screens in JOCO?
Oak Park used to have an AMC 6 (or 8?) where academy sports is now, and I remember hearing there used to be a small group of theaters in the actual mall. Back in the 90s they were trying to convince AMC to build a mega plex like studio 30 where Target is today.

If they were to add theaters, it'd probably only be 6-10 theaters, new mega plexes haven't been built for the last 10 years or so. So it's not really over saturating a market here, it'd be more like returning what was missing.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

horizons82 wrote:
empires228 wrote:
That seems off, the women's store was expanded in the early 90s I believe, the 4th floor was still open in the early 00's.
nomadcowatbk wrote: aren't there enough movie screens in JOCO?
Oak Park used to have an AMC 6 (or 8?) where academy sports is now, and I remember hearing there used to be a small group of theaters in the actual mall. Back in the 90s they were trying to convince AMC to build a mega plex like studio 30 where Target is today.

If they were to add theaters, it'd probably only be 6-10 theaters, new mega plexes haven't been built for the last 10 years or so. So it's not really over saturating a market here, it'd be more like returning what was missing.
Yes, and an Alamo Drafthouse would likely be 12 or less theaters. It really is a restaurant that happens to have movies. The rest of the Nordstrom space could be other things. AMC had six theaters in the mall and those six outside in the late 80s. (I'm old).
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Theirs no Movie Theater at that intersection. Maybe they reopen the forth floor and first 2 maybe a store like Goody's Family Clothing and other 2 Dunham Sports or Dick's.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

Biz Journal apparently says it will incorporate the Capital Grille site.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

mgsports wrote:Theirs no Movie Theater at that intersection. Maybe they reopen the forth floor and first 2 maybe a store like Goody's Family Clothing and other 2 Dunham Sports or Dick's.
Goody's Family Clothing hasn't technically existed for a decade now. Stage picked up their best locations and the name, and Stage didn't see any potential in the OPM area Gordmans, so I don't know why they would put a store with little to no brand recognition that at best sells the lower lines carried at Macy's and Dillard's and the upper lines at JCP (all for a hefty markup in price) that has proven that it can't compete in larger markets in other cites.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

empires228 wrote:
mgsports wrote:Theirs no Movie Theater at that intersection. Maybe they reopen the forth floor and first 2 maybe a store like Goody's Family Clothing and other 2 Dunham Sports or Dick's.
Goody's Family Clothing hasn't technically existed for a decade now. Stage picked up their best locations and the name, and Stage didn't see any potential in the OPM area Gordmans, so I don't know why they would put a store with little to no brand recognition that at best sells the lower lines carried at Macy's and Dillard's and the upper lines at JCP (all for a hefty markup in price) that has proven that it can't compete in larger markets in other cites.
Now, now, don't nitpick a list that has no basis in reality because there wouldn't be any supply chain support for most of them.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Stage would take up one of it's floors if it were to open in Mall. Their are Goody's Family Clothing in KS/MO. Burlington Coat Factory but might not want to relocate. Field and Stream?
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

flyingember wrote:
empires228 wrote:
Now, now, don't nitpick a list that has no basis in reality because there wouldn't be any supply chain support for most of them.
I'm starting to wonder what reality someone pulls their list and justifications from. Stage only exists in one city and that's metro Houston where they're headquartered. They've tried stores in Salina and Hutch and couldn't compete there. Both Stage and Goody's failed at those malls as separate companies.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Yes but theirs a lot of Department Stores not in KC area that are still Business.