Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by missingkc »

It doesn't necessarily have to be all or nothing for the tennis courts. There are 14. Removal of just the 4 on 47th st would open a fair amount of land for redevelopment.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

missingkc wrote:It doesn't necessarily have to be all or nothing for the tennis courts. There are 14. Removal of just the 4 on 47th st would open a fair amount of land for redevelopment.
That would be a reasonable compromise but a waste of space still for such a prime spot - and once realized could become more complicated to redevelop the rest. Think big then reduce what can't be realistically accomplished...

* Any neighborhoody/streetcar stop friendly retail that Plaza owners apparently don't want to touch - upscale CVS and/or Market3 small counter eats/coffee joint/basics, local counter eats, drycleaner, etc.
* Some form of a park plaza with lots of seating, fountain(s) facing actual streetcar stop.
* MainCor 'safezone' office/security with public restrooms, ATM, etc. perhaps staffed during streetcar hours. Or even better...
* KCPD Midtown/Plaza pedestrian/bike patrol unit? Just thinking big. Should reduce troublemakers for what will become a key touristy hotspot.
* Next Floor (or two) - Plaza Library
* Top Floor - Indoor tennis courts/sports (or on rooftop)

Anything TOD related would be better than surface courts using up space that will clearly become a major hotspot. But to Grid/Highander's point, a full blown transit center that tends to attract congregating vagrants might not work, buses should pass through a nearby stop rather than layover. Maybe just call it Plaza Streetcar Center.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Getting places new to KC area.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

mgsports wrote:Getting places new to KC area.
What every retail project says 101
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

http://cbre.vo.llnwd.net/grgservices/se ... 91c49c029b Academy Sports or Burlington Coat Factory.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

mgsports wrote:http://cbre.vo.llnwd.net/grgservices/se ... 91c49c029b Academy Sports or Burlington Coat Factory.
I pray for the day that the Plaza has a Burlington Coat Factory.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

TheSmokinPun wrote:I pray for the day that the Plaza has a Burlington Coat Factory.
I love Burlington, but it would bring in the wrong purely ghetto element.
It will never, ever happen.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
mykn

Post by mykn »

NorthOak wrote:purely ghetto element
Uhhhh... what do you mean by this?
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

NorthOak wrote:
TheSmokinPun wrote:I pray for the day that the Plaza has a Burlington Coat Factory.
Foot Locker and the Nike store don't already, how many plaza stores store baby clothes :D
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

NorthOak wrote:
It will never, ever happen.
It’s official. I’m ghetto.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

RIP P3
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

This had been rumored for years, but sad to see them go.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I actually can’t believe they lasted this long.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote:I actually can’t believe they lasted this long.
I was in there for lunch about a year ago. I think we were the only people in the restaurant in the middle of the lunch hour that day. Our friends said that they had lost a lot of their clientele. The place was very old style.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

what replaces it? Outback? Burlington Coat Factory? TJ Maxx?
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

Highlander wrote:
beautyfromashes wrote:I actually can’t believe they lasted this long.
I was in there for lunch about a year ago. I think we were the only people in the restaurant in the middle of the lunch hour that day. Our friends said that they had lost a lot of their clientele. The place was very old style.
so their clientele died off and wasn't replaced?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Kind of seems that way. Their well known sommelier retired a few years ago, and some of the old guard years before that. Their menu very, very rarely changed and was basically a straight grain fed beef menu with table sides.

It wasn't a very innovative place to go to, and the food and drinks were never great for the price. I know a lot of people will miss the history, but I don't know many that will miss that actual restaurant.
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

Haddad Restaurant Group took it over some time ago and did absolutely nothing but cut costs and ride the coattails of it's former glory. History and name recognition kept them open this long, but without updating this is what happens. Seems like anything Haddad takes over fails at some point. Winstead's is probably next.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCLover wrote:Haddad Restaurant Group took it over some time ago and did absolutely nothing but cut costs and ride the coattails of it's former glory. History and name recognition kept them open this long, but without updating this is what happens. Seems like anything Haddad takes over fails at some point. Winstead's is probably next.
I also hear they were a pain in the butt to work for and ran off a lot of their better employees.

I do hate seeing a lot of KC's classic long standing restaurants close down but some of them (e.g., Savoy Grill) just didn't try to stay current. If you are looking for high end, there are very few long surviving restaurants (Hereford House but in a vastly different incarnation), Savoy Grill, Plaza III, Stephensons, and The American are all kaput now. I guess Jasper's goes back a long way but, again, in a very different form (103rd street vs Waldo).
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

but some of them (e.g., Savoy Grill) just didn't try to stay current
I think the fire might have had something to do with that.
(Hereford House but in a vastly different incarnation)
Again, fire.