Three Light

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: Three Light

Post by KCPowercat »

Sorry you get that impression...not my intent to be negative. Just frustrating to see in many peoples opinions errors in design. We all are out for the same thing...to get the best product built. I don't think my comment required an attack on my "class" but that's just me.

Dumping this pubically available parking garage onto grand when grand gets closed so much and we have bike lanes on Grand seems like a miss. Truman and walnut were available.

Three light sounds like a much better design for parking entry. Cheers to whomever made that decision.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Grand closures are sprint's given rights to do...but definitely will turn into two light's problem if something can't be worked out.

I appreciate wanting to leave Truman facade without a parking hole especially if the cap is coming. Evenso it is a big capacity street so dumping cars into it makes sense.

I don't see walnut as bring that big of a traffic problem but I don't drive it so I'll defer to you on that...what did the traffic study show?
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

So when is three light going to start construction? This year still?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I guess we will find out whenever they decide to finally announce the project. Two Light is only 35% leased. That seems pretty low considering it’s just a few months out from opening. I think One Light was at least 80% leased on opening? Maybe they will continue push off the announcement till the leases increase.

This project(3 Light) will also have co-working space per City Scene KC. I wish they would jut put up an office tower already, but I get that it takes time.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Going back to committee on this.

Kind of funny comment where he was like you can send it back to committee but it's going to come out the same because of the 2004 agreement.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Parking Garage going back to Commitee.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

StrangerThings wrote:Who was there on the behalf of Cordish today?
It wasn't discussed. Speculating here, but I think they wanted this meeting to be about the airport but also knew a lot of people wanted to talk about cordish, so they tabled it a week.

There wasn't any objection, just a "okay well this is all mandated in the developer agreement so whatever. You guys can all give your speeches next week though." Also said there is no time pressure, so next week is fine.

I forget the council members involved. :/
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Shields wanted to read more about the plan....nobody cared because the financial deal isn't done yet so moving it back a week won't matter...that's based on what the city manager mentioned.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

And he brought up that the city doesn't have to build garages just when cordish asks, that there has to be an actual plan in place...for the next 99 years.

So I'm guessing everyone wants to bitch about the developer agreement before they pass this.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Is this the new rendering of Three Light in the Cityscene article? https://cityscenekc.com/signs-point-to- ... nt-market/
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Its a couple years old
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

I was excited to think that 3 Light would begin construction as soon as 2 Light was completed (as when first announced).
I should have known that would be too ambitious for KC :roll:

As it all depends on how fast 2 fills up, now I think it could be up to a year or more before they break ground.
I understand these are high profile lots on the streetcar, but I wish they would scrap 3 and 4's design ideas and go shorter.
7-8 floors would keep the skyline density intact, allow them to start both tomorrow and then negotiate with the owners of the 12th & Grand lot to build something super tall and mixed use. (win, win, win)
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

NorthOak wrote:7-8 floors would keep the skyline density intact, allow them to start both tomorrow and then negotiate with the owners of the 12th & Grand lot to build something super tall and mixed use. (win, win, win)
What do you mean by "keep the skyline density intact"?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

horizons82 wrote:
NorthOak wrote:7-8 floors would keep the skyline density intact, allow them to start both tomorrow and then negotiate with the owners of the 12th & Grand lot to build something super tall and mixed use. (win, win, win)
The idea is to put less money into more blocks and rather than build onelarge towers, to have 4 blocks filled with shorter ones
KCLover
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by KCLover »

horizons82 wrote:
More like keep the skyline view from Liberty Memorial intact. Pretty sure that's what NorthOak really means.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

I agree. The Skyline looks great and will only look better with the addition of the Light buildings and Convention Hotel. My biggest beef with the Light buildings is the name/signage they use (Just seems like not much thought was put into the naming). I know the names were likely part of the branding but why not use unique names for each building that helps branding (like "The District", "P&L Block", etc....) The buildings, themselves, are good additions. As Stranger Things commented, once the loop is capped having highrises there will make more sense.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

I’m fine with the delay. Redesigning a building so it doesn’t look the same as the others can take a lot of time. Take all the time you want to get it right!
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

beautyfromashes wrote:I’m fine with the delay. Redesigning a building so it doesn’t look the same as the others can take a lot of time. Take all the time you want to get it right!
Jfc
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

StrangerThings wrote:Many people don't like the naming of "blank" Light, but I can assure you an over abundance of thought went into that. A tie into the Power and Light name was crucial and trust me, out of all the choices this was a good one! I am jealous of the tower going up in STL, "One Cardinal Way" is a very cool building name, especially compared to One Light.
Really, it's called "One Cardinal Way"? :lol: That city is so ass backwards, everything is about their stupid Cardinals. Never been in a city so obsessed with their identity and baseball team.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

beautyfromashes wrote:I’m fine with the delay. Redesigning a building so it doesn’t look the same as the others can take a lot of time. Take all the time you want to get it right!
If only that was what is happening. To me it would have made more sense to build 4 Light first due to it being a large hotel. That way there would have been less of a need for waiting on 2 Light to lease out.