Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by atticus23 »

Are we still discussing the Plaza here???
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

Country Club Plaza: the Gateway to Ozarkland
atticus23
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by atticus23 »

^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Official word that Nordstrom is closing Oak Park Mall location and moving to the Plaza.
The new, approximately 116,000-square-foot store is expected to open in 2021. Nordstrom will continue serving customers at its current location in Oak Park Mall until it relocates.
No word on exact location.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

kboish wrote:Official word that Nordstrom is closing Oak Park Mall location and moving to the Plaza.
The new, approximately 116,000-square-foot store is expected to open in 2021. Nordstrom will continue serving customers at its current location in Oak Park Mall until it relocates.
The Rag continues to be on the forefront of the latest....
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

One option Oak Park could consider is trying to get Bloomingdales to lease that spot but considering our market size that would be tough.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

hartliss wrote:
kboish wrote:Official word that Nordstrom is closing Oak Park Mall location and moving to the Plaza.
The Rag continues to be on the forefront of the latest....
That's a nice shot in the arm for the Plaza. I have heard from people who are familiar with the new owners that the idea when purchasing the center was to make the Plaza more exclusive. So far, it has seemed like they have failed miserably to even maintain the occupancy that they started with so this is good to see. I was a bit concerned that this could have been a Nordstrom's rack which would have been a step in the opposite direction. I know no location has been announced but since the move is not until 2021, I suspect there will at least some construction and lengthy site preparation.

This is also a KC FIRST, at least in my memory, retail abandoning Johnson County and headed to KCMO. It's happened in the commercial office space many times but it's the first time I've seen KCMO get a major retailer out of JoCo.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

I have been concerned, recently, of the number of stores closing on the Plaza. However today's news coupled with this quote from the KCBJ gives me a bit of hope:

During a previous interview, General Manager of the Plaza Meredith Keeler said the joint venture wouldn't rush to fill vacancies because it's focused on "patient curation." Empty spaces present opportunity to introduce "exciting new tenants" that improve the merchandising mix and build on the Plaza's unique sense of place, she said.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

hartliss wrote:I have been concerned, recently, of the number of stores closing on the Plaza. However today's news coupled with this quote from the KCBJ gives me a bit of hope:

During a previous interview, General Manager of the Plaza Meredith Keeler said the joint venture wouldn't rush to fill vacancies because it's focused on "patient curation." Empty spaces present opportunity to introduce "exciting new tenants" that improve the merchandising mix and build on the Plaza's unique sense of place, she said.
Also, alot of this is just perception as the plaza still has an incredibly low vacancy rate.
earthling wrote:CBRE Q4/2017 metro retail report...
https://www.cbre.us/research-results?k=kansas%20city

For those who don't signup for account, here are metro vacancies...
Downtown 2.1%
Plaza 2.9%
KCK 5.1%
Midtown 6%
North KC 6% (leads metro in absorption for that quarter)
N JoCo 7.9%
S JoCo 8.8% (3rd most retail under construction)
E KC/JackCo 8.8% (most retail currently u/c))
S KC/JackCo 11.3% (2nd most retail u/c)
The reality is they've gained just as much as they've lost recently and spots they are not refilling immediately may be allowing for relocation within the plaza setting the stage for changes in configurations for particular tenants they are trying to add.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Save the shoes!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Reddit said shake shack to plaza too. Really thought cordish could pull through with a tenant like that.
nomadcowatbk
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by nomadcowatbk »

LCDSI wrote:One option Oak Park could consider is trying to get Bloomingdales to lease that spot but considering our market size that would be tough.
what's the smallest market Bloomingdales is currently in? OPM might also consider trying to get Saks or Lord & Taylor but aren't they mostly on the East coast? STL has 2 Nordstroms, and Saks
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Neiman Marcus? Sky Golf or Revolution because are Entertainment? Johnny Macs? Bed Bath and Beyond? Modells but on East Coast so is BJ's Wearhouse? Already have Macy's that owned by Bloomingdales? Meijer or Shopko. Would say Stage or Belk or Goody's Family Clothing but own Gordman's. Combined Kansas Sampler with Ozarkland? Burlington Coat Factory?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I wish I could picture this, but I don't spend much time on the plaza. The Capital Grille and the movie theaters are on opposite sides and corners of the street, yeah? What all is moving around here?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

It sounds like the western part of the movie theater, the B of A, old Blanc Burger space and Capital Grill are gone replaced with Nordstrom. I assume lower parking entrance and some spaces will be gone too. CG will move to old Willians Sonoma space which is a much better location.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

beautyfromashes wrote:It sounds like the western part of the movie theater, the B of A, old Blanc Burger space and Capital Grill are gone replaced with Nordstrom. I assume lower parking entrance and some spaces will be gone too. CG will move to old Willians Sonoma space which is a much better location.
Yes. I understand it will be just over half the size of the Oak Park location.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

KCPowercat wrote:Reddit said shake shack to plaza too. Really thought cordish could pull through with a tenant like that.
I don't know much about them but apparently it will be on 47th at the old Talbot's location.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Highlander wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Reddit said shake shack to plaza too. Really thought cordish could pull through with a tenant like that.
I don't know much about them but apparently it will be on 47th at the old Talbot's location.
It's like an east coast In and Out. Food 10/10. Experience: 10/10 Price 5/10
Their stores are always packed and in high traffic locals. Makes sense that they would pick the plaza for their first location. Power and Light doesn't have the same level of traffic that the plaza has. A shake shack in P/L along the streetcar would do very well once the population gets high enough.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Looks like they’ll have to move the old statue of the kid eating a hamburger...again. Used to be in front of the McDs across the street.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

ldai_phs wrote:
Highlander wrote:
It's like an east coast In and Out. Food 10/10. Experience: 10/10 Price 5/10
Their stores are always packed and in high traffic locals. Makes sense that they would pick the plaza for their first location. Power and Light doesn't have the same level of traffic that the plaza has. A shake shack in P/L along the streetcar would do very well once the population gets high enough.
Similar in the cultist following sense, but more fast causal than fast food. More variety and better quality than In n Out imo. Larkburger is probably the closest thing in the metro.

It will definitely kill on the plaza.