The Future of Crown Center

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: The Future of Crown Center

Post by hartliss »

kboish wrote:https://cityscenekc.com/crown-center-of ... partments/

Collison wrote an article regarding some of our previous discussion on the crown center sites and potential new high rise apartments. The site is directly west of where the 2nd phase of the Milhaus project is planned to go up. If Milhaus buys this land, plus the land they just bought north of the railroad trench, I hope they aren't just land banking property in order to protect their first investment. I know when they first moved into the market they talked about future opportunities in the city, so it is possible they will just keep building. It is a lot on one developers plate, though. And it will take them a long time to build out all those parcels. I'd rather see someone else get ahold of this property so we can keep things moving.
Given that Milhaus just bought that property in the East Crossroads, I agree it would be a lot on their plate (not to mention their institutional investors). We shall see...
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

So there will be a Development at this lot, a condo Tower, town homes, and the apartment building under construction. Andddddd the CX lots that just sold
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

condo tower?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

So when will they put that lot facing Main Street on sale?
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

DaveKCMO wrote:So when will they put that lot facing Main Street on sale?
Oh no, they can’t sell that parcel! Wherever will people park when they come to watch fireworks?! #saveourlot

But no joke, I read on reddit somebody complaining about this newest parcel being made available because they’re planning to have their ashes interred at Union cemetery and they don’t want their “views of the skyline blocked”. I can’t imagine a more apt caricature of a KC NIMBY than that.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

JBmidtown wrote:
Oh no, they can’t sell that parcel! Wherever will people park when they come to watch fireworks?! #saveourlot

But no joke, I read on reddit somebody complaining about this newest parcel being made available because they’re planning to have their ashes interred at Union cemetery and they don’t want their “views of the skyline blocked”. I can’t imagine a more apt caricature of a KC NIMBY than that.
This made me actually LOL . NIMBY even in death.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

No one, not even Union Hill homeowners can ever seriously object to anything of height being built on Crown Centers south lots. That model showing office high rises on those blocks sat next to the Streetcar in Crown Center shops for over 40 years, even before Union Hill was cleared for housing. That block facing Main is, probable after 12th & Grand, the choicest spot for an office high rise in the city.
SimplyKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SimplyKC »

moderne wrote:No one, not even Union Hill homeowners can ever seriously object to anything of height being built on Crown Centers south lots. That model showing office high rises on those blocks sat next to the Streetcar in Crown Center shops for over 40 years, even before Union Hill was cleared for housing. That block facing Main is, probable after 12th & Grand, the choicest spot for an office high rise in the city.
Union Hill here, that would absolutely take away the depth of the view of downtown. The surface lot just north of what is being sold could be built to 25 stories with no disruption to Union Hill's views as it is today.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

SimplyKC wrote:Union Hill here, that would absolutely take away the depth of the view of downtown. The surface lot just north of what is being sold could be built to 25 stories with no disruption to Union Hill's views as it is today.
So you do take issue with a tower being built there eventually?
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

kboish wrote:
JBmidtown wrote:

This made me actually LOL . NIMBY even in death.
Eternity is a very long time to have no view
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

moderne wrote:No one, not even Union Hill homeowners can ever seriously object to anything of height being built on Crown Centers south lots. That model showing office high rises on those blocks sat next to the Streetcar in Crown Center shops for over 40 years, even before Union Hill was cleared for housing. That block facing Main is, probable after 12th & Grand, the choicest spot for an office high rise in the city.
Off topic, but I wish they'd bring that model back out.
SimplyKC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by SimplyKC »

horizons82 wrote:
SimplyKC wrote:Union Hill here, that would absolutely take away the depth of the view of downtown. The surface lot just north of what is being sold could be built to 25 stories with no disruption to Union Hill's views as it is today.
So you do take issue with a tower being built there eventually?
Where is "there"? I guess I am addressing the green space between Main and Grand south of 27th. That could support a few stories, but the Hall plan posted a while back shows that remaining a green space. All other areas are good to go if they stay around Shook, Hardy & Bacon height.

I'm all for dense development in the area...just wanting that area mentioned near Main not to go high rise and close off Union Hill to a four building in to two blocks view.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

SimplyKC wrote:Where is "there"? I guess I am addressing the green space between Main and Grand south of 27th. That could support a few stories, but the Hall plan posted a while back shows that remaining a green space. All other areas are good to go if they stay around Shook, Hardy & Bacon height.

I'm all for dense development in the area...just wanting that area mentioned near Main not to go high rise and close off Union Hill to a four building in to two blocks view.
The block bounded Main, Grand, & 27th is meant for development in previous plans: http://www.crowncenterofficespace.com/i ... _large.jpg

It goes unaddressed on the plan posted here. The block north of it is called for as greenspace.

But what you're advocating is a NIMBYism. Why is the view from Union Hill homes, and only a small portion of them at that, more important than bringing high density, population, and sustainability to that area?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

TheLastGentleman wrote:
Off topic, but I wish they'd bring that model back out.
The model was cool. But it took up a lot of space and it was definitely time for it to go
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

ldai_phs wrote:The model was cool. But it took up a lot of space and it was definitely time for it to go
I think it's currently in storage, so it still exists. They could put it in the hotel lobby/atrium or something.
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Collison wrote an article regarding some of our previous discussion on the crown center sites and potential new high rise apartments. The site is directly west of where the 2nd phase of the Milhaus project is planned to go up. If Milhaus buys this land, plus the land they just bought north of the railroad trench, I hope they aren't just land banking property in order to protect their first investment. I know when they first moved into the market they talked about future opportunities in the city, so it is possible they will just keep building. It is a lot on one developers plate, though. And it will take them a long time to build out all those parcels. I'd rather see someone else get ahold of this property so we can keep things moving.
Am nearly certain they are not banking their crossroads parcel.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

smh wrote:

Am nearly certain they are not banking their crossroads parcel.
Same.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

Good
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

http://ngzimmer.com/news/premium-high-r ... g-marketed

Crown Center officially marketing the parcel at 27th and Grand/Main as potential high-rise development for a company headquarters.
The site is master planned to be developed for a high-rise, Class A office building with up to 400,000 square feet of luxury office space. In addition, a parking structure under and adjacent to the building can hold up to 1,500 cars. The site is being offered for sale to an owner/user or developer, or Crown Center Redevelopment will consider building to suit for a client’s exact needs and specifications
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

So the odd-shaped, grassy lot where Grand runs into Main? The article makes it sound like there is already a parking structure under and adjacent to the site.