Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Plaza move-ins (ongoing)

Post by jbean3535 »

kcjak wrote:
LCDSI wrote:If the rumors are true about Nordstrom it's great for the plaza but bad for OakPark Mall. I'm not sure who they'd be able to lease that large space out to.
Yeah and they just lost Banana and something else (Bath and Body?). Plus the Dillard's men's store is a dump. Losing Nordstrom would be a huge loss. Maybe convert it into a cinema like they wanted to put in in the Target location.

But back to the Plaza topic - anyone know when Nordstrom's lease is up? And haven't we been waiting for years now for a restaurant announcement for part of the Hall's building?
Banana Republic, The Body Shop, & The Aveda Salon have all left this month. Losing Nordstom would be the biggest blow to the mall that they could possibly take. Nordstom was on a 20-year lease and 2018 is the 20th year of that lease. Calling the Men's Dillard's a dump is the understatement of the century.

When you start leasing out some of your largest spots to tenants that sell nothing but garage doors, you know you're at the start of a rapid decline.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Experience and localized neighborhood shopping might be the only retail that will survive. People just aren’t going to pay more to drive to a big warehouse building when they can get it online.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

beautyfromashes wrote:Experience and localized neighborhood shopping might be the only retail that will survive. People just aren’t going to pay more to drive to a big warehouse building when they can get it online.
Fashion services may be the exception.

Can’t try on new makeup online
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

hartliss wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:I've just heard it from two independent sources....neither that official. I honestly thought a third source was on here.
flyingember mentioned someone in his network heard the same thing....
And there’s an earlier post mentioning the capital grill moving within the plaza

Nothing solid but seems to be spreading
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

This is the first I've heard of the Nordstrom/Capital/Cinemark rumors but that development would be perfect and makes all kinds of sense.

Here's hoping, would be a great shift for the plaza. It would be nice to maintain a smaller, more upscale theater or live performance venue, however.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

flyingember wrote: Fashion services may be the exception.

True. I heard something about a new makeup retailer in the Crossroads that is developing and selling hypoallergenic makeup which I thought was very smart. I’m sure there are a lot of people that are allergic to certain chemicals but still want to wear makeup. Can’t remember the name and might have been in a larger store.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

rxlexi wrote:This is the first I've heard of the Nordstrom/Capital/Cinemark rumors but that development would be perfect and makes all kinds of sense.

Here's hoping, would be a great shift for the plaza. It would be nice to maintain a smaller, more upscale theater or live performance venue, however.
Ditto this. Nice niche theater and a live performance venue would be great for the plaza.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

beautyfromashes wrote:
flyingember wrote: Fashion services may be the exception.

True. I heard something about a new makeup retailer in the Crossroads that is developing and selling hypoallergenic makeup which I thought was very smart. I’m sure there are a lot of people that are allergic to certain chemicals but still want to wear makeup. Can’t remember the name and might have been in a larger store.
My sister in law is in cosmetic sales. Said this season was dismal for retail locations. The trend is to watch youtube videos and buy online based on recommendations. The cosmetic counter is not a pull through for fashion clothiers, its an add-on. People don't show up for clothing then they are not there for cosmetics either.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

kcjak wrote:
LCDSI wrote:If the rumors are true about Nordstrom it's great for the plaza but bad for OakPark Mall. I'm not sure who they'd be able to lease that large space out to.
Yeah and they just lost Banana and something else (Bath and Body?). Plus the Dillard's men's store is a dump. Losing Nordstrom would be a huge loss. Maybe convert it into a cinema like they wanted to put in in the Target location.

But back to the Plaza topic - anyone know when Nordstrom's lease is up? And haven't we been waiting for years now for a restaurant announcement for part of the Hall's building?
Banana Republic is closing hundreds of locations and this isn’t the first metro location to close in recent years. I won’t worry too much unless Nordstrom does pull out. The store has looked like it’s in wind down mode for two years now. Every time I go to the café is closed and the store is dead, even on busy weekends. When it comes to the rest of the mall, I believe someone in a heartbeat if they told me the men’s Dillard’s has roaches and bedbugs. It’s pretty sad that Dillard’s just dumped millions into Wichita without touching any of the KC stores.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

empires228 wrote: It’s pretty sad that Dillard’s just dumped millions into Wichita without touching any of the KC stores.
Could have fooled me. Still has the same, bland concrete exterior it was built with in 1980... and I assume you're not talking about the one on the west side that was turned into a clearance center.

But yeah, Nordstrom to the Plaza would be a huge get. I'm guessing they'd lose quite a bit of square footage, but it might not feel like all that much?
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

One Bon Bon stores if they do expand after restruction,Meijer,Shopko,Target relocate,Walmart,Von Maur's or so on.
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

mgsports wrote:One Bon Bon stores if they do expand after restruction,Meijer,Shopko,Target relocate,Walmart,Von Maur's or so on.
BUT WHAT ABOUT MENARDS? FRESH THYME?
longviewmo wrote:But yeah, Nordstrom to the Plaza would be a huge get. I'm guessing they'd lose quite a bit of square footage, but it might not feel like all that much?
Based on CBL's listings Nordstroms is currently at 200,000 sf. Using Google Earth, rebuilding the west wing could get you about 120,000 sf over three levels. So yeah, it'd be a noticeably smaller store. Perhaps with internet fulfillment they could get away with less BOH space?

Ideally, if/when Nordstroms leaves Oak Park, Dillards would relocate/consolidate into the newly vacant department building. Then that'd open up two big areas to redevelopment, hopefully with residential and office in the mix.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Downsizing would allow them greater sales per sqft. Which equals more profit and thus makes the KC Store less of a "low hanging fruit."
kcmiz
Pad site
Pad site

Post by kcmiz »

It's probably a Nordstrom Rack, their outlet store concept rather than the mainline department store.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

No way Menards. fresh Thyme and any other Grocery store just needs one floor.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

mgsports wrote:One Bon Bon stores if they do expand after restruction,Meijer,Shopko,Target relocate,Walmart,Von Maur's or so on.
I can't take it any more.

And you do realize that Target is right across the street from Nordstrom? And do you really think that Walmart is a good fit for Oak Park Mall? Come on, man!!
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcmiz wrote:It's probably a Nordstrom Rack, their outlet store concept rather than the mainline department store.
That store has never been less than busy when I've been there. Even it would be a good gain.
jbean3535
Pad site
Pad site

Post by jbean3535 »

horizons82 wrote:
BUT WHAT ABOUT MENARDS? FRESH THYME?
longviewmo wrote:But yeah, Nordstrom to the Plaza would be a huge get. I'm guessing they'd lose quite a bit of square footage, but it might not feel like all that much?
Based on CBL's listings Nordstroms is currently at 200,000 sf. Using Google Earth, rebuilding the west wing could get you about 120,000 sf over three levels. So yeah, it'd be a noticeably smaller store. Perhaps with internet fulfillment they could get away with less BOH space?

Ideally, if/when Nordstroms leaves Oak Park, Dillards would relocate/consolidate into the newly vacant department building. Then that'd open up two big areas to redevelopment, hopefully with residential and office in the mix.
I'd be okay seeing a Round 1 Amusements & Bowling move into a potentially soon to be vacant spot at Oak Park. The KC area meets the majority of their requirements and they have an aggressive expansion planned for the US (Something like 100 stores by 2020 or something crazy). Their stores are dependent on big box retailers closing.
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

longviewmo wrote:
empires228 wrote: It’s pretty sad that Dillard’s just dumped millions into Wichita without touching any of the KC stores.
Could have fooled me. Still has the same, bland concrete exterior it was built with in 1980... and I assume you're not talking about the one on the west side that was turned into a clearance center.

But yeah, Nordstrom to the Plaza would be a huge get. I'm guessing they'd lose quite a bit of square footage, but it might not feel like all that much?
Actually, the stores facade was updated once after it opened in the 70’s when the store was expanded into part of the vacant northwest anchor pad. The inside was redone. Most of the store was curtained off for months.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Village West and 119th Street and Metcalf Ave. Target and Walmart across from each other. Also Walmart perfers open air spaces. Revolution or Sky Golf. Sun Fresh or Albertsons? Sports Store? Burlington Coat Factory? Marshalls? Cargo Largo or Fleet and Farm or Farm and Fleet type? Here Today? Bed Bath and Beyond? Urban Outfitters? Winco? Ozarkland? New to KC area?