Two Light - 14th & Grand

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Two Light - 14th & Grand

Post by WoodDraw »

Why did they hype this? It's fine, but they had to know no one would care about co-working space.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

StrangerThings wrote:40,000 is the number everyone agrees is a sustainable population. We are at 30,000. Like I’ve continued to say, we are not there yet. Don’t you think Three Light would be a great location for a ground floor national retailer?
True.

And this is interesting.
Spark launched its initial venue in Baltimore in 2016, welcoming 110 companies in its first two years of operations, according to the news release.

Why doesn't everyone calm down. It's not like StrangerThings (freely) comes here to answer each one of your incessant rants.
There's nothing stopping any one of you from emptying your own 401Ks and building your own Target if you think were ready.
In the meantime, I'm hoping Three Light gets started and finished quickly and a major retailer gets snagged to be on the streetcar line.
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

If this was a private company purely investing their own cash into a project that rightfully benefits DT, I wouldn’t have a thing to say. That’s not the full case. This is a public/private partnership where the city put (and continues to put up) millions upon millions of tax funds and the other partner was suppose to be an expert at retail development. Cordish got a sweet deal in a prime location. They shouldn’t be afraid of some hard questioning of their plan and strong words wanting some more than delivered currently. Hoping they step up.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:

Very aware. He actually called Walnut “incubator row” today. How many of those can you live in the same building? How many of those are in a brand new high rise? How many of those have worked with 300 companies in another market?
So watering down a well served market...all the while an underserved retail market isn't fulfilled....that's being a true leader in the neighborhood...congrats
Let me see, hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on market research by third party companies or your opinion.... I don’t know why I come on here, I guess I’m a sucker for punishment. Than again, I wouldn’t have made it to the director level without being passionate about what we do. At this point, I’m understanding I’m wasting an incredible amount of time responding to a unique group set of people who will find issues with nearly anything Cordish does unless it’s exactly what they want.

I’ve used the streetcar once. It’s virtually useless to me personally yet I’m an avid supporter because I understand and agree the demand exists and while it’s useless to me in its current form, I do see that long term it will personally benifit me. I find it borderline insane that you think a company with nearly a billion dollars invested into this downtown area would do anything but what they have concluded to be the best for area. You can have your personal opinions and likes/dislikes of decisions made, but to make statements like “Cordish will have failed” or to assume you know better about what downtown needs simply because you live here is obtuse.

If you have any professional insight or market knowledge that I’m unaware of, I’d love to hear it. I started coming here years ago to take in everyone’s opinions and pass them along in meetings. I’d love to pass along something besides “more retail”. More retail is a part of the master plan. Capping is in the plan. More high rise buildings are in the plan.

What’s not in the plan is rushing anything because Cordish is afraid of someone calling them a failure.
Spare us the "cordish is treated mean here" lines. Cordish has gotten a ton of good jobs and glad you are here on this site. Even more from city officials in the tune of millions of dollars in incentives a decade later....so yes we are going to analyze and comment on moves cordish does...it's a message board...it has opinions.

We are glad you participate in the forums...debate isn't meant to run people.off. not everybody is going to agree...Especially when this plan all along was to bring downtown amenities...that started strong with the likes of cosentinos and kaldis but has fizzled mostly.... have to understand it's a bit frustrating for residents to see a block long retail space still empty (13th} and the city manager showing up to announce co-working space....a decade later. We're probably just expecting too much from cordish. I remember when this district opened...and 20k was the magic numbe thrown around for retail to show up...then 30k...now it's 40k....I can tell you I see a lot more retail in other similar sized cities with less residential population.....
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

I really want to give a shit about this but...I can’t.
hartliss
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by hartliss »

I applaud Strangerthings from coming on here to offer up his perspective, especially given the confidential nature of his/her role. As I see it, a co-working space will bring more people to the general vicinity and it is better than a vacant storefront. I know we all want an urban Target/retail, etc but it seems shortsighted to complain about the tenant mix but you can't please everyone.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

To be clear...it's the taxpayers that decide if the city is doing their job and doing it well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Okay. If you don't think I and others have provided constructive feedback in these threads then I am not sure what you are looking for.

You are making these way more personal than it needs to be (age, when moved downtown, team affiliation?). I have yet to see anyone attack you personally on anything....
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Any dissenting point made against what Cordish is delivering is met with (paraphrasing) "cordish spent millions of dollars and knows best so shhhh" replies.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Okay. If you don't think I and others have provided constructive feedback in these threads then I am not sure what you are looking for.

You are making these way more personal than it needs to be (age, when moved downtown, team affiliation?). I have yet to see anyone attack you personally on anything....

You have provided constructive feedback in other situations, but you’ve been more than condescendly rude today. I’d consider calling a project someone has worked on for several months a “fart” as a personal attack.

I don’t know if you’re 35 or 75, I’m simply pointing out you sound very much like the “get off my lawn” type today. It’s an observation, not an insult.

When you moved downtown isn’t personal, it’s important. You’re very obviously unhappy with the current pace of development. I’d expect you to be a bit impatient as you have a decade of your time invested into this area but I’d also expect you to understand the difference between a new district just opening and than forming a steady long term pace.
My comment was to the announced tenant, it's a common internet response to lackluster news...without knowing anything about who did what on getting that tenant how could one possibly be construed as a personal attack?

I couldn't be happier with how downtown is going in the past few years....assumptions are a dangerous thing.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Any dissenting point made against what Cordish is delivering is met with (paraphrasing) "cordish spent millions of dollars and knows best so shhhh" replies.
No and it’s getting frustrating that you’re not understanding. It’s not about Cordish spent millions so people should shut up because Cordish knows best. Not. At. All. Cordish values the public’s opinions as do I. It’s why I’m here.

It’s about the fact that Cordish has a lot on the line. They’re very heavily invested in this city, so WHY would anyone think they’d make a uniformed or initially poor decision in regards to a tenant choice? They’re doing what they wholeheartedly think is the best for this city and them as business owners.
Businesses spend millions all the time and make poor decisions. I'm sure spark will provide cordish with some nice cash flow. Congrats.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

May each of those coworking entrepreneurs strike it big and each company turn into a high rise. Cheers to mutual passion that doesn’t quite see eye to eye. Tomorrow we roast 3 Light. :)
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

Do you think we will like it?
What time is the announcement?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

StrangerThings wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:
StrangerThings wrote:
No and it’s getting frustrating that you’re not understanding. It’s not about Cordish spent millions so people should shut up because Cordish knows best. Not. At. All. Cordish values the public’s opinions as do I. It’s why I’m here.

It’s about the fact that Cordish has a lot on the line. They’re very heavily invested in this city, so WHY would anyone think they’d make a uniformed or initially poor decision in regards to a tenant choice? They’re doing what they wholeheartedly think is the best for this city and them as business owners.
Businesses spend millions all the time and make poor decisions. I'm sure spark will provide cordish with some nice cash flow. Congrats.
And hundreds of local entrepreneurs and startups with a place to be creative and grow their business. And tons of community outreach. And many other positive things including a profitable tenant.

Cordish has made mistakes, but you and others are essentially declaring this one a mistake before the first desk goes in.

I’ve wasted too much time on here today. I’m sure I’ll be back tomorrow after the Three Light announcement! Remember, criticism good, insult bad.

“I’m not a fan of the glass on Three Light” -good
“Three Light f’in sucks what idiot designed this fart of a building!” -bad
Actually I don't think anybody called this tenant a mistake. Overhyped with city officials showing up for the announcement? Sure.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

At least it wasn't a bank.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Man, I need a drink after reading all that. My initial thoughts are that a co-working space is a bit underwhelming for an entertainment district, but I get the reason Cordish wants them. Spark seems to be a very different flavor of co-working space. As the population grows downtown and more amenities arrive, it WILL spawn more creative and entrepreneurial types to need space exactly like this. However, I would have thought this type of tenant would be better served on a higher floor to ensure better views, etc... This space would be much better served as something like a deli/cafe or unique retail, especially once the loop is capped (maybe that is still the long-term thought). Anyway, glad we filled another spot and I hope it is a success.

StrangerThings, please know everyone appreciates your insight here and that having someone who can give us a glimmer into how the development world works is something we all crave. Your points are well taken, but don't get sucked into the drama that sometimes comes with passionate folks living in/around the area your employer is involved in. You'll continue to find some jewels of information here that I hope you are feeding back to the powers that be (which it sounds like you are).

KCP, I get your frustration. This isn't exactly a news worthy event it was sold as and really wasn't unique to our market. But it is still valuable. Be that as it may, your tone is a bit harsh here. Remember that there are folks whose livelihoods and personal sacrifices are going into some of these events/decisions and any sort of bitter criticism can feel like a hit below the belt. We should absolutely hold Cordish accountable and I do feel they have under-delivered on their tenant mix as compared to what was envisioned from the beginning, but we still should try and provide meaningful feedback that just might make a difference.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Touche
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

If that was harsh, you wouldn’t have lasted a day in the Kauffman Stadium thread from several years back. Kcrag has turned into a safe place.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Many, many moons ago there was an April fool's day joke here where the forum was replaced with an old school anonymous guestbook or something.

People... were not nice lol
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Oh I remember that, just didn't want things to get escalated to that level. Isn't that the thread that got KCDC booted?