Downtown Overland Park

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Downtown Overland Park

Post by FangKC »

Despite neighbors' concerns, $48.5M mixed-use project moves forward in OP

https://tinyurl.com/y9xq7gkp

The Edison sails through planning commission review despite concerns of downtown OP homeowners
A new mixed-use development that would include office space, multiple eateries and a courtyard designed as a community gathering space got the unanimous approval of the Overland Park Planning Commission Monday despite concerns from several neighbors about the project’s appropriateness for the downtown area.

Freightquote founder and former CEO Tim Barton has been working to put the project, called The Edison, together for more than a year, purchasing retail properties along 80th Street as well as the Overland Park Presbyterian Church to allow for a multi-faceted modern development.

But parts of the project, including a five-story office building and a courtyard with a large video screen, have elicited objections from a number of residents of the surrounding neighborhood. Around a dozen people spoke during the public hearing at yesterday’s meeting, where the planning commission was tasked with reviewing Barton’s development plan.
https://tinyurl.com/y8spt643

Earlier reporting on this development

https://tinyurl.com/y8qj598s

The site:

https://tinyurl.com/ybalxvwu

grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Downtown Overland Park

Post by grovester »

We drove by this area yesterday to try and locate exactly where it was. Odd spot we had never been, south of the market and just east of the pavilion where they have festivals.

Is the church empty? If so, this would be quite a dead zone most of the time. The adjacent residential seems out of place with it's surrounds, so I'm not surprised they're bitching.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

It does show OP gets it that they can’t just be a single family homes suburb.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I'm all for it, though I'm sure there will be growing pains. The home values adjacent will skyrocket. Wish I had bought there way back when.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

We need to get the Strang Line going again.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kboish wrote:We need to get the Strang Line going again.
In the bus to train model, we could beef up the current 403 route first and see if ridership approves along it.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Food hall / culinary incubator concept called Strang Hall coming to downtown Overland Park in the ground floor of the Edison District.

https://www.feastmagazine.com/the-feed/ ... 228b4.html

Operated by Menlo Food Labs
https://www.menlofoodlabs.com

http://www.stranghall.com
kds0621
Surface Lot

Post by kds0621 »

Does anyone know what's going on at the NE corner of 79th & Metcalf? They tore up the surface lot recently and have been moving quite a bit of dirt the past few days.
johnmatrix
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by johnmatrix »

kds0621 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:49 pm Does anyone know what's going on at the NE corner of 79th & Metcalf? They tore up the surface lot recently and have been moving quite a bit of dirt the past few days.
I thought I heard a bbq place was moving in over there.
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

kds0621 wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:49 pm Does anyone know what's going on at the NE corner of 79th & Metcalf? They tore up the surface lot recently and have been moving quite a bit of dirt the past few days.
I heard it is yet another apartment building. The Winstead’s site is also slated to be one.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Ployboys but that's going on 75th street.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Downtown Overland Park is growing up: Retail, high-rises are ‘the way of the future’
The Edison District is a symbol of what community leaders have envisioned for the downtown for more than 20 years. The $54 million project —with a large outdoor event area, shops, offices and a parking garage — adds to the growing density, bringing with it new employees, residents and places for the community to gather.

And nearby, hundreds of contemporary apartments are under construction or are being leased out, finally bringing residents to the true heart of the downtown.
The $49 million project, The Vue, at the southeast corner of 80th and Marty streets, is now leasing more than 200 luxury apartments, and also has retail space. Nearby, another $10.8 mixed-use apartment building, Market Lofts, brings 36 more units.

And following the development of the 218-unit Avenue 80 building on 80th Street and Metcalf Avenue, Overland Park welcomed its first senior apartment building downtown, a $45 million project with 150 units. And more apartments, office buildings and restaurants have been recently completed or are in the works.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/a ... 44413.html
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

I really think these kind of projects that are going to kill any kind of growth in urban KC if they keep building apartments like this in the burbs. I think Young Professionals will choose these types of locations in OP/Lenexa/North KC and bypass the urban core completely especially if rents are about the same price. I don't blame them, No crime to deal with (car break in's, apartment break in's, threat of being mugged/harassed), less traffic, slower pace but still has walkable amenities. The suburbs are catching up to the city.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I doubt it, i think it’ll probably be for people who would be uncomfortable living in the city. It’s also building more spines in the metro area, potentially creating transit nodes. Cities are creative and edgy, they take in people of all walks of life. I think this is good for the region. Not everyone is going to be willing to live in the city, but if this can pick up some people who wouldn’t otherwise, and get used to dense environments, it could help push it all over.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Could be a good transition stage between the suburbs and the urban core
mistervinix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mistervinix »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:03 pm I really think these kind of projects that are going to kill any kind of growth in urban KC if they keep building apartments like this in the burbs. I think Young Professionals will choose these types of locations in OP/Lenexa/North KC and bypass the urban core completely especially if rents are about the same price. I don't blame them, No crime to deal with (car break in's, apartment break in's, threat of being mugged/harassed), less traffic, slower pace but still has walkable amenities. The suburbs are catching up to the city.
I have talked to several people who live in the area. They say the finished apartments are half empty. Also, the project down the road on Metcalf - The Promenade - is rethinking their second phase and whether to downsize it. It does not seem like the area is renting very fast (yet). A grocery store in downtown OP is what is needed. Someone else told me their 20-something daughter did not want to live there as it isn't "cool" like downtown KC.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

Yeah I don’t ever see it being cool, and having young people want to move there. Seems more like something people who already live in Joco and want to downsize or empty nesters who wouldn’t move to the city anyways.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Need more Commercial,Entertainment and Office.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I think it's a good choice for seniors in the neighborhood who want to sell their house and get out of maintenance and lawn chores, and perhaps be able to travel.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

FangKC wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:18 pm I think it's a good choice for seniors in the neighborhood who want to sell their house and get out of maintenance and lawn chores, and perhaps be able to travel.
Moving out of your home shouldn't mean moving out of your neighborhood.

That's who they need to sell to.