Hospital Hill activity

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Hospital Hill activity

Post by moderne »

Certainly will be the most prominent building on Hospital Hill. Will visually extend the Crown Center skyline to the east, as the Sheraton is just across Gillham. Sort of resembles the KU Med Cambridge tower, but curvaceous. Also like the cantilevered west end and the stairwell enclosed in clear glass.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

That exposed stairwell is pretty cool. Wonder if that is to encourage using the stairwell. It looks like there's space as sort of an observation platform at each level. And nice that every building they've been adding lately looks completely different. Am talkin to you Cordish. ;-)

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

earthling wrote:That exposed stairwell is pretty cool. Wonder if that is to encourage using the stairwell. It looks like there's space as sort of an observation platform at each level.
The skyline views from the patient rooms already rival the view from the main platform at Liberty Memorial -- in fact would exceed that view if not for Union Station being part of the LM view. I can't wait to see the photos that will be taken from this staircase.

Edit: Adding as an example a pic I took from a Children's Mercy patient room this past summer:

kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Unfortunately, wouldn't the new tower impede the view of downtown from the patient rooms? The new tower would become the new view from the patient rooms.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

#savemyhospitalview
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

kcjak wrote:Unfortunately, wouldn't the new tower impede the view of downtown from the patient rooms? The new tower would become the new view from the patient rooms.
There's patient rooms with views of other rooms, a courtyard being surrounded by building today.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Children's Mercy is such a maze that it took me a bit to determine where this room was located, but I've determined it was one of the north-facing windows of the tower right at the SW corner of 24th & Holmes. From this angle at least, the new building's northern end (the stairwell) would be just to the left of the Mainmark Building in the above photo.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The stairwell would be on the buildings' western end.
gfenn11
New York Life
New York Life

Post by gfenn11 »

scooterj wrote:Children's Mercy is such a maze that it took me a bit to determine where this room was located, but I've determined it was one of the north-facing windows of the tower right at the SW corner of 24th & Holmes. From this angle at least, the new building's northern end (the stairwell) would be just to the left of the Mainmark Building in the above photo.

CMH employee here... That picture would've been in the Sutherland tower more than likely on the 4th or 5th floors. But yes, we are a wonderful, wonderful maze. :D
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Looking south from the Crossroads at the new Childrens Mercy Hospital parking garage under construction.

scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

moderne wrote:The stairwell would be on the buildings' western end.
Oops, my bad. The rendering looked like a north-south alignment to me... I was having trouble differentiating new-build from existing on the non-glass portions.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

scooterj wrote:
moderne wrote:The stairwell would be on the buildings' western end.
Oops, my bad. The rendering looked like a north-south alignment to me... I was having trouble differentiating new-build from existing on the non-glass portions.
The helpful part is the campus and building renderings show the same sky bridge.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

earthling wrote:That exposed stairwell is pretty cool. Wonder if that is to encourage using the stairwell. It looks like there's space as sort of an observation platform at each level. And nice that every building they've been adding lately looks completely different. Am talkin to you Cordish. ;-)
Guessing it's an emergency staircase.
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Final UR Plan submittal showed up on the city's development tracker for the Beacon Hill Hotel @ 2321 Troost, just north of the UMKC grad student housing.
It's a La Quinta. Not the same design as before but it looks decent:

elevations here: http://maps.kcmo.org/kcgis/rest/service ... ents/23687

Also, Kevin Collison's site has another rendering looking NE of the proposed Children's Mercy research tower:

longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

The exterior finishes on the La Quinta will probably match their new prototype in Wichita minus the big cardboard box around the entrance.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... vetab=main
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Some thoughts/questions on the Beacon Hill Hotel:

Do we know the number of rooms? Looking over the documents, I couldn't see it listed. It does say:

GROSS DENSITY: 30.34 UNITS/ACRE (BASED ON AREA OF NEW DEVELOPMENT OF 0.76 ACRES)

That would equate to 23.

On the Development Tracker map, it says: Number of Dwelling Units: 16. However, other hotel projects don't have any dwelling units listed. 16 seems a little low (23 does too).

This development seems to have an overabundance of parking. It looks like 31 are required by code, but they plan on 74 spaces. It seems like the parking behind the building would suffice without the extra parking in the street-facing triangle lot portion.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

Maybe 23 per floor? That looks about right. 69 units, 74 parking spaces. Maybe 16 are designated for extended stay?
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

tower wrote:Maybe 23 per floor? That looks about right. 69 units, 74 parking spaces. Maybe 16 are designated for extended stay?
That all seems feasible. I think at one time an extended stay was considered for this hotel (maybe by Best Western).
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:Some thoughts/questions on the Beacon Hill Hotel:

Do we know the number of rooms? Looking over the documents, I couldn't see it listed. It does say:

GROSS DENSITY: 30.34 UNITS/ACRE (BASED ON AREA OF NEW DEVELOPMENT OF 0.76 ACRES)

That would equate to 23.

On the Development Tracker map, it says: Number of Dwelling Units: 16. However, other hotel projects don't have any dwelling units listed. 16 seems a little low (23 does too).

This development seems to have an overabundance of parking. It looks like 31 are required by code, but they plan on 74 spaces. It seems like the parking behind the building would suffice without the extra parking in the street-facing triangle lot portion.
The plans indicate that 16 parking spaces are required for the lodging (plus 8 for commercial and 7 for retail uses). You may be able to reverse engineer that requirement to figure out the room count, but I think it was previously stated to include 90 rooms.
So zoning is requiring 35 spaces but they are choosing to provide 74 spaces.

Edit:
From Table 420-1 (Parking Rations) of KCMO's Zoning and Development Code (https://library.municode.com/mo/kansas_ ... pment_code)

Lodging
 » 1—20 rooms 1 per room
 » 21—40 rooms 1 per 4 rooms
 » 41+ rooms 1 per 6 rooms

So, looks like 96 rooms.
Construction is supposed to begin in July 2018 and end in July 2019
joshmv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by joshmv »