KC in TV and Movies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by moderne »

Is this on Warwick? Haven't any idea where the second house is, the big shirtwaist?
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

droopy wrote:
kcjak wrote:I haven't seen the show yet, but after seeing these pics why couldn't they focus on a house that REALLY needed some work put into it? From the outside, this one doesn't appear all that bad in the grand scheme of things.
It was split into a tri-plex and they brought it back to a single family. Only thing they did outside was paint it and put in some basic landscaping.
...and waited for Spring to come.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

JBmidtown wrote:Boo! Fucking boo! Will they just give a TV show to any moron with a lack of aesthetics?! I’m becoming more and more convinced Kansas Citians should NOT be involved in decisions related to revitalizing Kansas City. We’ve become too poisoned by suburban “culture”. God damn this bullshit.
The lady of this show is a suburban Leawood women, probably never lived in this city or an actual city her entire life. Its going to be hard to escape this suburban culture here in KC because 80% of the city has the look and feel of suburbia. I wish we could separate KC into its own city, make boundaries from Bannister to River, State Line to Benton or something. Its funny though, if the city was actually that small it would probably rank as the most dangerous city year in and year out.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

moderne wrote:Is this on Warwick? Haven't any idea where the second house is, the big shirtwaist?
Yes, it's on Warwick. Pretty close to the Fast Stop, which makes it a little surprising that it sold for as much as it did. Although with Westport Commons and improvements on Warwick, that area is on the upswing. It was purchased by out-of-town investors for a (high-end) rental property.

The big shirtwaist was South Hyde Park on the 3900 block of Charlotte.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Did it actually sell? I just remember an asking price(which I doubted she could get). Some of the sixties apartments on that stretch are notorious. Who wants the most expensive house on a sketchy block? You could get a brand new house on Union Hill for less with a better modern floor plan and a two car garage. The shirtwaist would be close enough to central Hyde that it would be a better bet.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Sold for $406k, (over asking price).

Have you been down Warwick lately? A lot of those crappy apartment buildings have been getting rehabbed.

But I agree, that price is a stretch for that location.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

I'd also want to know who the buyer was. Shenanigans or out of town obliviousness.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

grovester wrote:out of town obliviousness.
Mostly that.

I don't want to get too much into the details of this particular situation, but there seems to be an influx of out of town investors buying houses for rental properties in KC (also some doing flips). These seem to often be Bay Area people with more money than sense, so $400k for a nice house would seem like a steal to them. They often seem to overpay (in my opinion) and it doesn't seem like they wouldn't be getting the best return on the money, but it keeps happening.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
Mostly that.

I don't want to get too much into the details of this particular situation, but there seems to be an influx of out of town investors buying houses for rental properties in KC (also some doing flips). These seem to often be Bay Area people with more money than sense, so $400k for a nice house would seem like a steal to them. They often seem to overpay (in my opinion) and it doesn't seem like they wouldn't be getting the best return on the money, but it keeps happening.
making money is not important. growth potential is
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

Anyone know anything about this?

http://dogparkmovie.com/
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

George Brett appeared on Modern Family on ABC tonight.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

"But first, let me tell you about dinner last night."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PseNrUeSmXk
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I found this web series online that is set in Kansas City, and produced locally.

https://www.captiveswebseries.com/videos
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Vice News Tonight on HBO has a piece on the KC MLK Blvd renaming with nice shots of the city. Sly James seems to very against this based on his interview. They also have a bonus extra about Troost Ave.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:
Mostly that.

that has been happening for as long as i've known. when i lived in kc my building and many of the rental properties i was familiar with were owned by people in denver/boulder. i wouldn't doubt that it's accelerating.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

https://www.backstage.com/news/casting/ ... more-gigs/

Pilot for a distopian show where Kansas City is divided (physically, with a wall) between Conservatives and Liberals.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

So the Missouri side and the Kansas side haha
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

"All talent must have gun-handling experience."
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

We did that and called it "the Civil War".