Downtown Tanners closing?

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Downtown Tanners closing?

Post by droopy »

KCPowercat wrote:Haven't been wanded to go into a bar in like a decade. It didn't make me feel safer.
Getting wanded certainly sets a tone and expectation before even going into a place. That makes me much less likely to check it out even though it is near home. Is the security a result of the suburban management nervous about “the big dangerous city” or are they anticipating a crowd that would bring guns and create problems without the screening? I don’t get it. Makes me worry about the DJ aspect of the place more than anything.

What was it like once you were inside? I hope it’s great but don’t have confidence.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's not a speakeasy...it's a big open space with normal drinks. They did have a speciality drink menu but it was impossible to read. minimal beer selection. I don't know why they don't just use the front door.

I was there early but a DJ was setting up....seemed like a fine place with good staff but LOT of security with headsets and the wanding and terms like "upscale jazz" makes me wonder what they are really trying to do. Salsa night sounded fun.

I mentioned to the doorman that being wanded was very weird and he was pretty hostile about it saying "we're just trying to keep everybody safe" and then went on some tirade about east vs. west and that two muslims were just shot in a Kansas bar.....I was so confused but decided this wasn't the gentleman to go any further with the discussion.

Oh and you are supposed to text to get on the list to go in but they said that they would let us in anyways. it was empty inside.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

Ugh. I was afraid that was going to be the situation. Thanks for the info. Went by this morning and there were a few tables sat in the windows of the bistro about 11am. I haven’t been in.

I was hoping this would be more in the Phoenix, Green Lady, Majestic vibe than a night club vibe.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I don't mind either, it sounds like they are half adding both though which will probably not turn out well.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I'd still check it out....they could easily take customer input and modify
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

bobbyhawks wrote:Hush sounds like a name for a speakeasy in a Stefon sketch on SNL. "KC's hottest club is "Hush," an intimate basement speakeasy that seats 4,000 people amidst the ruins of crying former businesses associates and over 6,000 conceptual drawings for various iterations of the Garment House. Guests are encouraged to sit in silence and "Hush" as they sip on one-of-a-kind cocktails such as Bud Light Limerita or the thawed and blended remnants of meat freezers from concepts past."
I understood that Tanners became the Broadway Bistro? Is that in another building or does it share the building with "Hush"? Haven't been in the area since either opened. Seems it would be difficult to operate a restaurant in the same building as a 4000 seat bar.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

New signage up for Broadway Bistro on the outside of the building which looks nice. Also a banner up for an arcade on the second floor of the building. Anyone hear anything about this??
Last edited by droopy on Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

Been there for a few months: https://www.facebook.com/BroadwayArcadeKC
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

Wow they sure promoted that hard if it been there a few months. First I'd heard of it was when I saw the new banner at the end of last week.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

So 4 barcade type places in greater downtown area now with Rockafire recently opening too. Can all survive a few years? These are way higher maintenance than a typical bar with a few machines.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

earthling wrote:So 4 barcade type places in greater downtown area now with Rockafire recently opening too. Can all survive a few years? These are way higher maintenance than a typical bar with a few machines.
Barcades are the new cupcake shop, 1 or 2 will survive.

Isn't Throwback another barcade or did they just fail on that and just make it full blown dance club?

The electric bills got to be outrageous at these places

KC should follow other trends like a Ping Pong Bar or this place in Milwaukee that is Build your own mini golf course bar - https://www.ninebelowmke.com/
https://onmilwaukee.com/bars/articles/ninebelow.html
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

earthling wrote:So 4 barcade type places in greater downtown area now with Rockafire recently opening too. Can all survive a few years? These are way higher maintenance than a typical bar with a few machines.
Damn, I had all this typed just as brewcrew posted. Same point below...

Could cupcake shops be our canary-in-the-coalmine for these trendy/fad/coastal places popping up in KC five years after the fact? All these years later, there are three I can name between just north of downtown and the Plaza. Last I counted there were three Ramen shops (one in RM, two in Westport/Midtown) in the Plaza-to-downtown corridor. And all three have made it over a year. I'm going to guess the worst/4th barcade could have some issues.

Cat cafes are up next...
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Get ready for a wave of poke bowl places in city too.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

KCPowercat wrote:Ask and you shall receive

http://amp.kansascity.com/news/business ... 86654.html
Before I clicked this I was really hoping it would be a barcade that serves Poke bowls.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Former Tanners Now The Garment House

Post by FangKC »

The Garment House brings seven levels of entertainment to Quality Hill [PHOTOS]
The Garment House offers seven floors of varied entertainment and event space in the Quality Hill neighborhood of Kansas City.

The first four floors at 1000 Broadway are open to the public. The remaining three are available only for private events, and the entire space is expected to be completed by the end of the year.

The first floor is occupied by Broadway Grill, formerly Broadway Bistro. It has numerous TVs, games such as pool and shuffleboard and a variety of beverages as well as food from its scratch kitchen.

The second floor houses Broadway Arcade, which offers a variety of nostalgic and modern games, including four virtual sports games that let players choose among 17 golf courses, soccer, football, baseball, basketball and zombie dodge ball.

https://tinyurl.com/ycmajwn5
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

That place can't decide what it wants to be and potential customers have noticed.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

It is all very confusing, but I do like that they have a music venue. I've been meaning to check it out.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

which one? the basement? The speakeasy/jazz/sports/open mic level?
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

They will probably open a food hall to jump on that trend on one level and a tap room on another level