Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: Troost developments

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote:Has there been a more complete transformation of a corridor in KC in such a short period of time (assuming all of these projects get built)?
The Sprint Center/P&L District/H&R Block/AMC Main St was probably a bigger transformation (although may not qualify as a "corridor").

But along with that group of developments, and the streetcar phases I and II, I think these developments (and in particular Mac's Armour and Troost proposal) have the opportunity to be some of the most significant and transformative developments in the city in recent history. This may not be as flashy as a Downtown skyscraper, but I think it will be more important for the city.

There still could be some roadblocks. Maybe everything won't get built as planned. It might be difficult to rent out the apartments and retail spaces. It is inevitable that there will be some crime around these developments - but how significant/newsworthy will it be and will there be any appearances that criminals are targeting these new developments? How much public backlash against gentrification will we see? Will derelict property owners on Troost and the areas just to the east sell their properties, or will they continue to hold on and wait for values to get even higher?

While questions and obstacles remain, I'm optimistic that we will see a drastic transformation over the next few years. It will still be tough to erase the Troost stigma from many peoples' minds, but anything that can be done to blur the dividing line will have huge ramifications for the city, East and West.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Looks like the demolition fencing is up around the old Jim's Furniture building on the SW corner of Linwood.

Sad to see it go, wish someone had bought it years ago and renovated it. I was in there about a year ago and it's beyond repair. I'll try to find the photos I took.
Midtownkid
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by Midtownkid »

Is that the old Kats? (with streamline-deco corner entrance)

What a shame! Always thought it was an interesting corner.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Any update on the plans for Linwood and Troost? John Hoffman came out and announced plans a while back (although I don't think there were any renderings), but I heard that he was very premature in doing so and he hadn't even been selected yet by PIEA (which owns the properties).
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Yeah, the old Katz. When I walked through, parts of the roof were on the floor and parts of the floor were in the basement. And the basement was full of water. It's a little surprising that it hasn't collapsed yet. Most of the roof framing was rusted out and you could see from the outside that one of the air handlers was sinking though the roof.

Hoffman has the RFP on those corners. I think they're sorting out issues with their financing of the project.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Alana Hotel building, on the SW corner of 27th and Troost, is almost completely gone now--except for that small annex part.

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The old Katz Store at Linwood is being demolished this week.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

chaglang wrote:The old Katz Store at Linwood is being demolished this week.
I went by there last Friday and it was already mostly down.

I also noticed that many of the storefronts on the 3100 block of Troost (most of the west side of the block) had been boarded up. I have no idea if there is any significance to that.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

There is. From what I understand, the previous owners have been foreclosed upon, and the new owners wanted to board up the buildings to prevent vandalism. I'm not sure how concerned they should be, as the buildings have stood essentially vacant for years.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

Boarded up at least shows a level of care of the interior. That's something.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The best news is that those buildings will probably have new owners soon. The financial institution that foreclosed on them will probably put them up for sale.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Ruby Jean's Juicery on Troost opened this Saturday. I went and checked it out today. This is going to be a great addition to Troost.

Urban Cafe was a great addition earlier this year and Ruby Jean's may be an ever bigger deal, especially in it's ability to bring people to Troost who might otherwise avoid it. The space is really nice, but my one complaint is with the high, wooden ceilings and concrete floors, whenever they ran the smoothie machine, it was incredibly loud. Otherwise, it would be a great space to hang out.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:Ruby Jean's Juicery on Troost opened this Saturday. I went and checked it out today. This is going to be a great addition to Troost.

Urban Cafe was a great addition earlier this year and Ruby Jean's may be an ever bigger deal, especially in it's ability to bring people to Troost who might otherwise avoid it. The space is really nice, but my one complaint is with the high, wooden ceilings and concrete floors, whenever they ran the smoothie machine, it was incredibly loud. Otherwise, it would be a great space to hang out.
They’re also businesses owned by black Kansas Citians which is awesome and should shut up some of the knee-jerk reactions against “gentrification”.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Here's hoping.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote:Any update on the plans for Linwood and Troost? John Hoffman came out and announced plans a while back (although I don't think there were any renderings), but I heard that he was very premature in doing so and he hadn't even been selected yet by PIEA (which owns the properties).
This looks like it has legs again. Latest proposal is for 60-80 units in the SW corner with a retail component. DRAW are the architects, which is good news.

The renovation of the Xavier School at 53rd and Troost goes to CPC next week. It’s a historic tax credit renovation that converts the school into a dorm, and it looks like 95% of the issues with the neighborhood about parking, traffic, etc, have been sorted out. IIRC it has 100 beds and 80 parking spaces.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

Any interesting project with 6 apartment units has shown up in the Development Tracker off the NW corner of 44th and Troost, going behind the house that is there now.

It looks like what is now a large garage is going to be expanded to a 3 story building with 5 units and a new garage with 1 more unit will be built.

This is what used to be on the site where the new garage w/1 unit will go. It came down between 2011 and 2012. I don't even remember this building or seeing it come down, but it seems like an unfortunate loss:

While I like the addition of 6 units and I think the conversion of the current garage into a small apartment building is a good idea, I think putting a garage entrance on Troost is terrible idea, especially seeing what was once there.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

You might be in the wrong spot. This development looks like 1016 E 44th. StreetView shows a big shrub there in 2007.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

That is on the 44th St side. This is on the corner, so it faces Troost as well.

There is a separate parcel to the north owned by the same person that is only on Troost. That is where the building was demoed and where the new garage/coach house will be going.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Thanks, that orientation makes more sense.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

It looks like the existing house is being used as a B&B, so I'm guessing these new units would have the same use.