Bike Lanes

Transportation topics in KC
smh
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: Bike Lanes

Postby smh » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:12 am

Also, didn't part of the facade collapse a year ago or so? I think that created some additional unplanned work.

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby loftguy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:35 pm

flyingember wrote:
wahoowa wrote:what the hell is going on at the boley building? they've been hacking away at it for what seems like 18 months

I would bet it's a combination that slower costs less, a crazy complex amount of work and a need to not interrupt daytime users

Slower costs less?

In most any circumstance, the exact opposite proves true.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:55 pm

loftguy wrote:
flyingember wrote:
wahoowa wrote:what the hell is going on at the boley building? they've been hacking away at it for what seems like 18 months

I would bet it's a combination that slower costs less, a crazy complex amount of work and a need to not interrupt daytime users

Slower costs less?

In most any circumstance, the exact opposite proves true.

Slower as in not a rush job. If they made a deal where their work is fit in the extra time around other jobs this could come with a discount and take a lot longer. Not saying that's the case but there's clearly reasons something like this could take so long.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:22 pm

If I'm reading the minutes right the NKC Burlington cycle track project engineering contract was approved yesterday.

This is the 10th Ave to 32nd Ave segment of the bike network and hopefully will help accelerate the KCMO connections to NKC.

I would call this the biggest deal bike lane in the city, over even Grand, because it will show people what can be done.

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:36 pm

I’ve yet to see a single bike utilize the bike lanes downtown around the Power and Light area. I’ve seen more skateboard nerds than anything.

DaveKCMO
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby DaveKCMO » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:47 pm

StrangerThings wrote:I’ve yet to see a single bike utilize the bike lanes downtown around the Power and Light area. I’ve seen more skateboard nerds than anything.

i've seen it used (properly) at least three times.

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:53 pm

DaveKCMO wrote:
i've seen it used (properly) at least three times.

It's trending up!

JLowe2018
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby JLowe2018 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:08 pm

StrangerThings wrote:I’ve yet to see a single bike utilize the bike lanes downtown around the Power and Light area. I’ve seen more skateboard nerds than anything.

Probably because of a lack of bike infrastructure surrounding it.

The people who want to ride in a comfortable/safe environment are likely not biking along just one street, which is why we need to expand safe bike facilities to all roads so there are less barriers to bike ridership.

smh
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Postby smh » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:24 pm

It doesn't help that Two Light and Traders construction blocks the lane. But I concur that the main issue is lack of infrastructure elsewhere connecting into downtown.

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:12 pm

I did a few weeks ago.

earthling
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Postby earthling » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:30 pm

Youse guys do realize how pathetic that is right? One bike every few weeks? The bike path should have been put down Walnut, but nobody agreed with me. :) I still see more cyclists down Walnut during lunch/rush hour (no official bike path) than any other part of downtown, despite new Grand bike path.

KCPowercat
Power & Light
Power & Light

Postby KCPowercat » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:55 am

It's going to take time and more of the loop setup.

They should have put one of those bike counters on the grand bridge with electronic signage showing how many bikes have passed by.

longviewmo
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby longviewmo » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:19 pm

If it's nice over Christmas, I'll be biking down there probably... but these recent comments seem to ignore the fact that we're heading into winter. Cold. It's like finishing your outdoor water park in October and wondering where all the guests are.

kboish
Penntower
Penntower

Postby kboish » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:15 pm

Plus, as mentioned, there is construction blocking the lanes at both the North and South perimeter of the PnL District- which is where StrangerThings said he never sees anyone. I see people in the Xroads pretty much everyday after work. There are definitely commuters who use it.

scooterj
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby scooterj » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:27 am

KCPD needs to start spending some time hanging out near 20th & Grand during the afternoon rush hour. There hasn't been a day yet that I haven't seen someone use the right-turn lane at 20th to jump ahead past everyone using Grand correctly, and earlier this week I saw two cars continue straight on through from that right-turn lane and simply drive in the bike lane. One turned off at 18th, the other continued all the way to somewhere between 17th & 16th before finally merging over.

Return to “Kansas City Transportation”