KU-MU rivalry reborn?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

KU-MU rivalry reborn?

Postby Highlander » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:47 pm

Kansas and Missouri may be playing each other in an exhibition game this Fall at the Sprint Center. I'd love to see it happen. It's certainly good for KC. If it happens, I hope it's on ESPN or something I can get outside the area - but not sure how that works with NCAA rules around exhibition games. I was pretty sure that with Mizzou's expected re-emergence with a great recruiting class, it was going to happen anyway in the NCAA tournament (the NCAA was at least going to do their best to ensure it) and it still may.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-co ... 02576.html

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: KU-MU rivalry reborn?

Postby WoodDraw » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:27 pm

They'd have to get an exemption from the NCAA. They're positioning it as a one off charity game for hurricane relief. It wouldn't be a great look for the NCAA to say no.

Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Postby Highlander » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:47 pm

WoodDraw wrote:They'd have to get an exemption from the NCAA. They're positioning it as a one off charity game for hurricane relief. It wouldn't be a great look for the NCAA to say no.

It's on.

Well it's on but not on TV. I suspect the no television part is via the NCAA. Still, it's great to see it happen. I am sure the tickets will be highly sought after. I just wonder how hotly contested the game will be as it's a non television exhibition game with players not really steeped in the traditions of the rivalry.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby WoodDraw » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:27 pm

Is there any chance cordish could partner with someone and show the game outside now that the game is completely sold out? Agree to donate a percentage of proceedings to hurricane relief?

shinatoo
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Postby shinatoo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:21 am

Rumblings that they are trying to get a Pay Per View option together.
Quocunque Jeceris Stabit

flyingember
One Park Place
One Park Place

Postby flyingember » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:34 am

As a charity event it would make sense to have it be private televised and any place that does donates a cover charge or percent of takings to it.

Spread it far and wide with the goal of increasing takings

Highlander
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Postby Highlander » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:17 pm

shinatoo wrote:Rumblings that they are trying to get a Pay Per View option together.

Yep. 40 bucks.

WoodDraw
Colonnade
Colonnade

Postby WoodDraw » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:56 am

Highlander wrote:
shinatoo wrote:Rumblings that they are trying to get a Pay Per View option together.

Yep. 40 bucks.

Streaming only? Or am I missing something.

These things scare me because I spend $40 and then the site inevitably collapses and I waste a day trying to get a refund.

kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Postby kucer » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:26 pm

Streaming only, but plenty of bars will be streaming it.

StrangerThings
Strip mall
Strip mall

Postby StrangerThings » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:55 pm

WoodDraw wrote:Is there any chance cordish could partner with someone and show the game outside now that the game is completely sold out? Agree to donate a percentage of proceedings to hurricane relief?

This is old, but wanted to point out that Cordish did make a deal and donated 20k in order to show the game. It was great to see MU and KU colors downtown at the same time again!

Return to “Kansas City Sports”