Troost developments

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Troost developments

Post by JBmidtown »

Woah! How much of that is just a bunch of buzzwords though?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Rumors about the 3100 block are the least reliable. At any given time, between 3 and 5 people claim to have the 3100 block “under control” for redevelopment. Nobody does.

KCtoBrooklyn is absolutely right- the presence of 2-3 property owners cripples the ability of small businesses to locate to Troost. It’s absolutely what killed the renovation of the Marquette at Armour and Forest, and what’s kept the 3100 block and 3600 block mostly vacant.
tskev
Ambassador

Post by tskev »

The couple that currently "owns" the properties on the 3100 block of Troost have hundreds of title liens on them, including state and federal tax liens. They are also crazy hoarders. I'm not sure how they've been able to hold on to them for this long, but it is what it is, I guess.

Clemon's Real Estate has been working for 2 years now to gain control from them. Clemons has acquired the first liens and mortgages for most of the properties. They are beginning to foreclose, and have a handful of developers lined up to divvy them up between.

In the process, there have been one or two other individuals who have gotten in the ear of the current owners, and have tried to gain control of the properties in that way. I think that is where the confusion has come from because they talk like they have control, but really don't. Ultimately I think it will clear up.

The foreclosure process might take awhile due to other minutiae, but it's possible things could start going here by the spring. It's also possible it could be another 2 years...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I hope this gets worked out. This stretch of retail buildings should have been renovated by now and have businesses in them. It could really be a nice section of mixed uses.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I hope I'm proven wrong, but this sounds like another in the long line of groups that have good intentions and great ideas, but lack the capital, connections, and resources to pull anything off.

The fact this group is a non-profit with a "donate page" (although I wonder if they are actually 501c3) leads me to a question I have always had: why don't any of the wealthy, philanthropist families in KC do more to help development on Troost or the East Side? It could be under the form of a non-profit, or a business venture with more altruistic intentions.

Don't get me wrong, it is great that they contribute to the arts, but the Halls, Helzbergs, Kempers, etc could have so much more of a lasting, positive impact on KC if they focussed more of their philanthropy on Troost. KC needs a developer philanthropist along the lines of Arthur Blank (owner of Home Depot and the Falcons) in Atlanta. Or if not developers themselves, then providing gap financing for projects that often seem to have difficulty in that area.
tskev wrote:Clemon's Real Estate has been working for 2 years now to gain control from them. Clemons has acquired the first liens and mortgages for most of the properties. They are beginning to foreclose, and have a handful of developers lined up to divvy them up between.

In the process, there have been one or two other individuals who have gotten in the ear of the current owners, and have tried to gain control of the properties in that way. I think that is where the confusion has come from because they talk like they have control, but really don't. Ultimately I think it will clear up.

The foreclosure process might take awhile due to other minutiae, but it's possible things could start going here by the spring. It's also possible it could be another 2 years...
That is interesting. Thanks for the insight!

I was alway curious about what exactly the Clemons involvement was. I know they are real estate brokers in addition to being developers. I had the impression that they were just marketing the properties as realtors for the Herrons, although I figured they may have had some other intentions. It looks like the Clemons listings on these properties were cancelled a little over a year ago, although I think they still have a bunch of signs up around these properties. I also noticed that don't seem to be any more references to the properties on their website.

The presence of all of the liens on the properties would explain why they would need to be sold for such a high amount.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

mister816 wrote:UC-B Properties looks to build Scholar’s Row apartment project at 55th and Troost

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... rylink=cpy

http://www.kansascity.com/news/business ... 94969.html
I noticed that ground has been broken on this project.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

KCtoBrooklyn wrote: The fact this group is a non-profit with a "donate page" (although I wonder if they are actually 501c3) leads me to a question I have always had: why don't any of the wealthy, philanthropist families in KC do more to help development on Troost or the East Side? It could be under the form of a non-profit, or a business venture with more altruistic intentions.

Don't get me wrong, it is great that they contribute to the arts, but the Halls, Helzbergs, Kempers, etc could have so much more of a lasting, positive impact on KC if they focussed more of their philanthropy on Troost. KC needs a developer philanthropist along the lines of Arthur Blank (owner of Home Depot and the Falcons) in Atlanta. Or if not developers themselves, then providing gap financing for projects that often seem to have difficulty in that area.
Go to Mission Hills Country Club or Kansas City Country Club and look around, then you will know. Things aren't much different than they were in JC Nichols' days.

Clemons are good folks, but their pockets are not as deep as the heavy hitters you mention. Still, I'd rather see a dozen developers Clemons' size than a big non-profit tied to private interests driving large scale development.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

taxi wrote: Go to Mission Hills Country Club or Kansas City Country Club and look around, then you will know. Things aren't much different than they were in JC Nichols' days.
Bingo. Look at who is getting Troost projects off the ground fastest: there’s money from Philly, from Chicago, from Denver. The projects that are lagging or being abandoned are from Kansas City. I’d take a dozen smaller developers over one large nonprofit, but only if they’re from out of town.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

A couple new renderings from the article on the Wonder Lofts project at 30th and Troost.

I'm guessing that E.O.T (or EDT?) Brewing is just a placeholder. I really hope they can make some sort of brewpub happen.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

8)
mykn

Post by mykn »

Hey, first time I've noticed more than 1 non-white person shown in renderings. Progress!
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

To be fair it's on troost, but yes alas progress as sad as that is to say
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Startland News has done a very good, 6 part series on the current state of development on Troost: http://www.startlandnews.com/2017/10/tr ... il-housing

This is something the Star should have written.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

The Star is only interested in buzzwords like gentrification and fomenting animosity and distrust.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

The Star is only interested in buzzwords like gentrification and fomenting animosity and distrust.
And parking! Don't forget about parking!

Thanks for posting the link, Chaglang.
mykn

Post by mykn »

Riverite wrote:To be fair it's on troost, but yes alas progress as sad as that is to say
I remember seeing an earlier rendering for a project on Troost and the people in it were of the "young white ladies in yoga pants drinking lattes" type. Not that there aren't those people in that area, but I just found it kinda funny that whoever made that rendering had no clue.
KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

I have noticed surveyors working at Armour and Troost the past couple of days. Another positive sign that things may be moving forward soon with the Mac project.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

The thing with white people in architectural renderings is an industry-wide problem.

MAC is moving forward with the Armour and Troost development as we speak.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Has there been a more complete transformation of a corridor in KC in such a short period of time (assuming all of these projects get built)?
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

Armour is the only thing that comes close.