Brookside

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Brookside

Post by mgh7676 »

chrizow wrote:
mgh7676 wrote:1. A local street taco joint.
KC Star reporting that the Julian space will be home to "Brookside Barrio" - a Mexican concept from the folks behind Sol Cantina and Zocalo.

:-|
Yeah...not the rumor I had heard. A little bummed about this news.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Is it known a Starbucks is going in where goodcents is? Saw a permit today for it. I couldn't believe there wasn't already one in brookside.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

Wow, that's interesting. Not a huge Starbucks fan but Goodcents is vile, so it's an improvement.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Panera and Starbucks double barrelled across from each other? Yoga panted moms will be powerless.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KCPowercat wrote:Panera and Starbucks double barrelled across from each other? Yoga panted moms will be powerless.
i think Roasterie has the yoga pants crowd on lock. will be interesting to see how starbucks fares.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I would think badly, brookside people seem pretty pro local. Not to mention the Roasterie has the same stuff for the same prices but a higher quality
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I don't really want any more starbucks in the city, KC has actually gained a lot of cred in the coffee world for how many local shops we have and the quality of them
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

chrizow wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:Panera and Starbucks double barrelled across from each other? Yoga panted moms will be powerless.
i think Roasterie has the yoga pants crowd on lock. will be interesting to see how starbucks fares.
Bella Nap for life!
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

kucer wrote: Bella Nap for life!
yep! love getting the same Le Monde pastries at Bella Napoli for half the price as Roasterie (even if sometimes they are clearly a day old). Bella Napoli also has the best nightly specials. $6 pizzas! (But they took our favorite off the menu, but we are the horrible customers who ask them to make it anyway, which they do every time b/c Bella Napoli is awesome)
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

KCPowercat wrote:Is it known a Starbucks is going in where goodcents is? Saw a permit today for it. I couldn't believe there wasn't already one in brookside.
Where did you see permit, KCP?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Anyone have any info on Brookside Poultry Co. going into the old Oak 63 space? Don't see anything on the web.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Went to Brookside Barrio last night with a few others. Impressive 'fresh foodie Mex', can taste every ingredient. The maggies are a bit weak but $3 Estrella Jalisco all day. Much better than Port Fonda, which is relatively overly complex and heavy.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

we enjoyed it as well. i got the "DIY" street tacos, in which the components all had pretty good flavor, although the DIY component is kind of unnecessary. Also the tortillas, while local and fresh, disintegrated in my hands. so that was kind of disappointing - but i was happy to eat everything on the plate with a fork. the guacamole is good and served in a pretty excellent puffy tortilla bowl that is delicious. agree that the margaritas were disappointing. i would not nec. compare it with port fonda, b/c the menus and vibes are quite different. but overall Barrio is a pretty nice addition to BKS - and it's always packed, curious to see if they sustain that momentum.

in other BKS news, Golden & Pine, a home furnishings/decor shop on 63rd in "east brookside," is relocating to the PV Shops. i do not necessarily blame them, but seems like a setback for "east brookside."

BKS Poultry company is a nice addition as well. we only have been once, but the roast local chicken was quite good.
bspecht
New York Life
New York Life

Post by bspecht »

KCtoBrooklyn
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCtoBrooklyn »

"Brookside East" seems like quite the stretch for this site.

I love seeing development east of Troost, but I wonder if UC-B is stretching themselves a bit thin and would be better served concentrating their efforts in a smaller area.

Do we know if this will be market rate?
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

I don’t really care what they call it on the marketing lit. It’s infill in what I would call Blenheim. I’ll take it.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

bspecht wrote:... at 63rd & The Paseo near "East Brookside".
More like address TBD, lol
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Makes a lot of sense--relatively close to Cerner, close to Brookside. Will print $$$.