Amazon searching for second HQ

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Amazon searching for second HQ

Post by chrizow »

what a joke. this is embarrassing.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

sigh.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -city.html

Well, this is over already. The article is behind a paywall, so I don't know what it says, but it appears that a south KC site is being pitched.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

simply speechless. on what planet does it seem like a good idea to pitch a site to amazon anywhere other than downtown KC? could the city have fucked up the RFP this badly?
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

It went from bad(the reviews) to worse(south KC location)
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

tower wrote:https://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/ ... -city.html

Well, this is over already. The article is behind a paywall, so I don't know what it says, but it appears that a south KC site is being pitched.
It's the Oxford on the Blue site along I435. It's clear the Oxford rep is suburban car dependent minded and completely out of touch with what Amazon is seeking. But fortunately it's just one of the sites being offered.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It was one location in the pitch.

The reviews are goofy but not going to impact any slim bid chance, just laugh at them
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

what are the others?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

No clue. I'd assume north loop or east village
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

The article just says 'one of the sites' being offered by KCADC. None others mentioned.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

435/blue river is an insult if it's even included in the RFP response package. like the team didn't even read, or consider, what amazon wants. i hope it's a footnote at the end of 11 pages of pitching downtown-area sites.

KC's bid has always been a pipe dream, but the city at least needs to put a reasonable foot forward. this is like self-sabotage.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

This is a nod to the suburban council members who were probably livid that an urban location was the only one being discussed. Surprised if we didn’t have a site from each council district. Dumb politicians.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

Kerr is just pimping his site. He touts the access to the population center of KC, Lees Summit, JoCo and the Lees Summit and JoCo airports. He also said his site is already assembled and under control which would make it likely construction could start in 2019, which is in line with Amazon's timeline.

It was interesting he suggested the city has a great site with 60 acres on the riverfront, but he dismissed it because of the poor access for such a large workforce. Was his only mention of another site without saying what other sites are in the pitch. And I'm pretty sure he's marketing the parcels on the riverfront for the Port Authority as well, so may just be trying to play up two of his sites.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Amazon RFP mentioned Greenfield spaces too didn't it? I agree dumb for KC to pitch though
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

What a fricking joke and disgrace they are pitching ugly/crap locations. I am really hoping Detroit or Chicago lands this 2nd HQ now and show these surban leaders what urban renewal is all about.

This city is snowflake central when it comes to anything promoting density or parking/acess
horizons82
New York Life
New York Life

Post by horizons82 »

brewcrew1000 wrote:What a fricking joke and disgrace they are pitching ugly/crap locations. I am really hoping Detroit or Chicago lands this 2nd HQ now and show these surban leaders what urban renewal is all about.

This city is snowflake central when it comes to anything promoting density or parking/acess
It's one location of multiple that are being proposed. Until we know what the others are, I'd step back from the ledge. Who's to say they couldn't use this mediocre site to highlight the benefits of the option(s) they really want chosen, say the north loop or East village?

It's not the greenfield site I'd pitch, why not something near the speedway? Or at ridgeview and K-10? But KC's foolish to not offer one non-urban location.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

I was under the impression that Amazon only wanted one location in the RFP response? But if there are going to be multiple sites proposed, one of them would be suburban, and that site is pretty decent for a suburban site.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

over reactions in this thread much... lol. And there is nothing wrong with being off 435 which puts them near Cerner, Sprint, and Burns/Mac campuses. If you are going suburban, that is the area that seems to make sense, that or near the airport.

I've heard they are propsing 10-12 different sites that Amazon could pick from. Seems logical to give them options and let them decide what is best for themselves.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

The reason why I think the greenfield pitch is bad because we are going to have to bring workers in to make this work and a good majority will be young. Also a lot of Sunbelt cities are going to have huge greenfield spots and they are all going to have better transportation/airport options and a deeper talent pool. If they are concerned about access so people from the suburbs can make it into work easier the people making this decision are simply out of touch with what Amazon is trying to achieve.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

LOL - maybe we should move this thread out of the Downtown Development Discussion.

Here's my favorite location. It's a midtown location. Between Gillham and Main and Linwood and 34th terrace. It would be a great location and Amazon would be a huge improvement over what's there now. (albeit traffic may be a bit of an issue with no nearby interstate)

Second best: Give them the entire East Loop Surface Lot Prairie.

Both these locations are sizeable contiguous stretches of land in the core and not all that far from the cities urban heart.