Amazon searching for second HQ

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Amazon searching for second HQ

Post by WoodDraw »

People are asking too much what Amazon can do to make my downtown what I want it to be and less what they're actually looking for (me included).

I just think it's an interesting trip through city planning and good for the future.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

beautyfromashes wrote:^ Because there are little over a million 22nd and Paseo's in this country. It also doesn't really have any of the amenities that they are looking for. Sure, you could add nightlife with a baseball stadium and build the transit that they requested and build housing for employees...but, they could do that anywhere. There's no logic for the company to go there. There's probably no logic in the choosing KC. But, if they do, they would choose the best of what we have to offer instead of the worst.
Amazon probably isn't coming, but this is suppose to be a pro-KC forum and I think 22nd/Paseo is an excellent greater downtown location that can be used as a bargaining chip. And most major cities don't have large downtown land available. Sure STL or Detroit does, but your Denver and Boston's that are the front runners don't have a 22nd/Paseo type location available and within walking distance of the CBD.
Riverite
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Riverite »

I think something that we could maybe utilize to our benefit is drafting a mission statement as a city that emphasizes our commitment to developing a city of the future. Let them know that we are committed irregardless of whether they come or not to making ourselves into a city that embraces future technology. Let them know that we will actively pursue any new technology and are open to trying new things. We open ourselves as a place for them to try out their new tech in a open manner. Let's focus on getting the second headquarters, even if we don't get it we can show them that we are a great city for a regional office. Other tech companies may take interest, it is often said that laws get in the way of testing new tech like autonomous vehicles I believe that even if we pursue these opportunities with our citizens in mind as well companies will take notice. I do believe that we as a city need to draft up a future timeline for ourselves, that emphasizes mutual benefit to the industries that may wish to move here and our citizentry
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

dnweava wrote: 4) It smack dab between 2 brand new housing developments (marked in green circles)
One of your new housing plans is more than ten years old. The permits are from 2006.
It got stuck in the current unfinished state.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

dnweava wrote:
Amazon probably isn't coming, but this is suppose to be a pro-KC forum and I think 22nd/Paseo is an excellent greater downtown location that can be used as a bargaining chip. And most major cities don't have large downtown land available. Sure STL or Detroit does, but your Denver and Boston's that are the front runners don't have a 22nd/Paseo type location available and within walking distance of the CBD.
Every city in America, including those you mentioned, have a dead zone where there is less valuable homes and properties that they would bulldoze tomorrow if it meant Amazon would come to their town. Most cities would have a dozen. Heck, most cities would bulldoze churches and cemeteries and homeless shelters if it meant 50,000 high paying jobs. Amazon will take the very best land in whatever city they choose. It's time to get get realistic if we have a shot at this. Offering 22nd and Paseo would get the same response when your little brother offers you Mediterranean Avenue for Boardway straight up.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

flyingember wrote:
dnweava wrote: 4) It smack dab between 2 brand new housing developments (marked in green circles)
One of your new housing plans is more than ten years old. The permits are from 2006.
It got stuck in the current unfinished state.
They are still building new houses in it this year...
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

dnweava wrote:My midtown Amazon campus idea. Light Blue = Lots for Amazon. Green = new Parks. Red= 31st street light rail (grade separated through this section with 2 stops shown.

Highlights:
-clear cut all the homes and businesses between Linwood and 31st
-displace thousands of mostly African-American residents
-build a light rail to shuttle Amazon workers in and out of the area
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

There's a lot of green on the map just south of Union Station. Tear down that old tower and give them all that space.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

What tower are you talking about?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

TheLastGentleman wrote:What tower are you talking about?
Liberty Memorial. The tower just south of Union Station
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

It was a joke. Since you're new, TheLastGentlemen, you might not have picked that up from me. People on this board always search Google maps looking for green space to build something glorious. They just don't always realize what the green space is. Welcome to the board!
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Lees' Summit, Grandview, Raymore, and Belton are loaded with greenspace to house this complex. And with easy highway access. Even KCMO along 150 west of I49 has plenty. If you want to make it closer the old federal complex at Bannister and Troost is a choice.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

I’m pretty sure any proposal that doesn’t have a downtown location is a complete waste of our time and money.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

ldai_phs wrote:I’m pretty sure any proposal that doesn’t have a downtown location is a complete waste of our time and money.
Definitely. Kansas City’s aging first ring suburbs are probably not high on Amazon’s list. But it would be pretty interesting to see Grandview’s HQ2 proposal.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

ldai_phs wrote:I’m pretty sure any proposal that doesn’t have a downtown location is a complete waste of our time and money.
I would say that within 5 miles of downtown. That puts you within the pre 1950s employment centers.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Go to the RFP. Site requirements:
Proximity to population center - 30 miles
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:
Go to the RFP. Site requirements:
Proximity to population center - 30 miles
Just because they say that doesn't mean a site like that will work. Especially when 30 Miles from Downtown hear can mean an empty cornfield, vs. a bigger city where 30 Miles is still urban. In general, any city can offer a green field, or a suburban site, or a site in a lower income area. Kansas City winning at all is a stretch, so we need to put our best bid(a downtown one) on the table. Kansas City's only real pro is that we have a number of Urban amenities for the fraction of a big city price.
Last edited by normalthings on Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
normalthings
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by normalthings »

flyingember wrote:
I would say that within 5 miles of downtown. That puts you within the pre 1950s employment centers.
Potentially, I do not think they would be a big fan of bulldozing a neighborhood or anything like that that has been mentioned here before.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

If we don't respond with a downtown urban core site we are wasting our time.

30 miles from urban center might work for an NYC or Chicago bid but not for KC.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Sprint campus is ready to go. 3.9 million sq feet. Soon to be vacated and lots of tech employees available.