Amazon searching for second HQ

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Re: Amazon searching for second HQ

Post by earthling »

AMZ didn't mention if building an AWS data center but if so KC needs to pitch that the metro does have local offices from most of the IT companies.. Microsoft, Cisco, EMC, etc. And don't know if they use consulting firms but Deloitte, PriceWaters, etc too. Most mid-sized markets do too but should probably be pointed out. And yeah, the caves are a great location for a data center given naturally cool all year round and protected from weather, which Hunt Midwest touts.

While not likely for KC to get this, getting on a short or even long list would make it worth the effort. And if AMZ specifically says KC not picked because of airport or transit, it would help build the case to improve those.
NorthOak
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by NorthOak »

* Central Location

* Low Cost of Living

* Midwest Workforce

* Most Amenities - 2 million Peer Metros

* Being able to change the entire direction of a city's urban landscape while improving the company's negative "trendy" and "elite attitude" images

* Underground Data Centers for safety and low energy cost

* 2 Large Land Parcels Downtown ready for immediate Development

What else?
aknowledgeableperson is currently on your ignore list.
You will no longer see any of her posts.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

NY Times cuts KC and STL before first round...
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... rs-be.html
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tower
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by tower »

earthling wrote:NY Times cuts KC and STL before first round...
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... rs-be.html

They immediately culled the bottom 50% of the top 50 metros based on job growth, without sorting for anything else first, like an international airport. This was probably done because they would've ended up with a tie, or something predicable - like Chicago - if they did it in a different way.

A better method would have only cut those that had negative growth. Still, I kind of agree with their ultimate conclusion.
Last edited by tower on Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

pash wrote:I don't think I've seen a single one of those articles that has so much as mentioned cost of employment. If Amazon doesn't really care much about saving a billion dollars a year versus more expensive metros, then KC isn't going to have much of a chance. But if Amazon does put serious weight on the cost of salaries and office space for tens of thousands of new employees, then together with the rest of what KC has to offer, the substantial permanent surplus they'd gain by setting up shop here rather a place like Los Angeles or even Denver might actually tempt Amazon to take a serious look.
True but Dallas and Atlanta aren't particularly expensive cities considering Tier 1 major market amenities, such as global airports and decent transit. Philly is relatively cheaper than other E Coast cities. If AMZ wants to be part of the resurrection of cities and maybe have a bigger say/influence in how resurrected, KC and STL could end up on radar. But seems like a long shot depending on how they weigh selection criteria. It helps that KC is considered a top 5 logistics center. Logistics experience available might be more important than tech talent but they didn't specify that. Would hope KC bid also emphasizes that given the retail/warehousing side of AMZ is essentially a logistics company. And they may as well buy out KC Southern rail.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

I've sent a link of this thread to ThinkKC. Hopefully they will watch for ideas and challenges they can address.

Continue to post ideas here.

Or you can send ideas directly to them...
http://thinkkc.com/business/amazon-hq2-kc
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
herrfrank
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by herrfrank »

I'm fairly certain that Amazon HQ2 is Atlanta's to lose. They have a huge site (the old Fort McPherson, partly owned by entertainer Tyler Perry) ready for build out. Fort McPherson abuts two, already-functioning, high-capacity mass transit stops, 15 minutes direct-to-terminal to the world's largest airport and 20 minutes to Midtown and Buckhead shops and amenities. Three interstates (I-20, I-75, I-85) in the vicinity. A revitalized urban neighborhood (West End) and traditional suburbs (Sylvan Hills) are within walking distance.

I can make arguments for a number of other cities but they involve expensive and complex infrastructure changes (Hartford capping I-84; Chicago retrofitting the I-290 Post Office); huge eminent domain grabs (NYC, DC, or Boston); or require significant transit upgrades (Denver, Dallas, KC) when the RFP specifically asks for already-built mass transit and a hub-like airport. Amazon also wants a counter-balance to Seattle -- both geographically and politically Atlanta would be complementary.
JBmidtown
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by JBmidtown »

Yeah Atlanta seems the best choice for them. My hope is the RFP from Kansas City attracts Amazon to opening a more significant logistics presence in KC beyond warehouses in the metro. We may yet land a regional office and that in itself could help draw other firms to consider KC's central location and growing tech prowess.
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Good points. Also agree likely Atlanta (or Dallas). If bus is acceptable as tactical transit in short term, Dallas could be a player if coming up with a solid rail plan. And if bus is tactically acceptable, KC could make at least a long list especially if they make the bus system free as Dave has mentioned as a possibility. The bus service on MO side is actually pretty good. But of course the airport and lack of enough international flights likely to keep KC out of first round unless they are intrigued by downtown airport being so close for private jets.

Some things for KC to promote in bid to get into first round, summarizing various posts...
- Downtown airport, new terminal planning at KCI
- Several large lots available downtown (maybe more than any other downtown being considered)
- Free streetcar, upcoming expansion and will pursue free metro bus service if selected
- KC metro a top 5 logistics center (need to differentiate from Atlanta and Dallas also in top 5)
- Growing employment and tech base, 3200+ tech companies in KC
- Fiber available to homes in more than half of metro
- Metro above average with highly educated
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

One long building over the I-70 valley in the shape of the Amazon smile logo. Plenty of room for the arrowhead if we take out the 9 highway ramps.

Think of something like the Apple Spaceship building.

Parking underneath, streets could still go through.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Does Google have a second HQ? With GF starting here, we might be in a good place if they consider adding a location.
kboish
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by kboish »

I don't think Google has a second HQ, but they have a pretty big presence in Austin
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

Google's Chicago offices are often considered a secondary HQ.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

earthling wrote:Google's Chicago offices are often considered a secondary HQ.
the one in the west loop? it's a pretty large building.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Playing up the caves as a secure location for a data center would be smart. The caves are the one place that would offer protection from electromagnetic storms whether from a hydrogen bomb burst in the atmosphere or a solar storm. The 1859 Carrington event bought down the early telegraph, the only tech existing then. A similar sun event (it will happen) would bring the world to its knees.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Proximity to data centers has absolutely no bearing on locating a HQ. If the caves make sense for Amazon they will locate data centers there. They have hundreds of data centers all over the world with all kinds of redundancy.